McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.9

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. I was contacted by a recruiter who screened me over a 30 minute period, asking questions in regard to why I was interested in management consulting, my resume, my current position and why I was interested in McKinsey in particular. She then scheduled me for an over-the-phone coaching session for a case study. I was told it was non evaluative but that I should look over the cases on their website. I was not originally considering management consulting, and so had very little case preparation. I purchased Case In Point and reviewed and practiced 3 cases a day for 2 weeks, as well as completing the cases on McKinsey, Deloitte, and Bain's websites. I practiced 4 oral cases with friends/family. The coaching session went poorly. I struggled with the quantitative section, but being generally stronger in the other areas. I concentrated on quantitative skills for the next week before the evaluative case. The evaluative phone case was standard for McKinsey, I believe. The interviewer made no small talk, was not personable, and just wanted to finish the interview. He was not rude, but it was clearly an evaluation with little flexibility. I was contacted by the original recruiter over the phone 3 days later, to inform me that I had not performed strongly enough to continue to the in-person round. Overall the experience was positive and people were friendly. While I was upset at not having performed up to par, I was also aware that McKinsey & Co was probably not the best fit for me.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

After I sent my application for the associate position in LaTam, 1 week later I got an interview invitation from the campus recruiter in my MBA school (Philadelphia, US). I got an email with all the details about the process and even a couple of sample cases.
    The company organized a case preparation session with a current Manager who shared with me and with others, during 45 minutes, tips and suggestions to solve problem solving cases.

Interview Questions

• Problem solving cases - 4 in total
      Tell me a story about leadership in your last job

Answer Question

Associate(Praktikum) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

This interview was for a position with the German office.

I was part of a (German) mentoring program, and hence was vetted before. I only had one day with multiple, 1h long, 1on1 interviews. They all consist of a case and a personality part.

Cases were much like they can be found in the many prep books that exists. It might be noteworthy that they were led pretty closely by the interviewer. Help was given whenever needed.

Relax and be yourself! It's a pressure situation, but everyone was nice and wanted you to show your best.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever experience a personal conflict in a professional setting? How did you manage (or solve) it? (After this, many follow up questions came to everything I replied)   1 Answer

Interview

1st round was PST which evaluate math and reasoning capability.
    2nd round is case interview + personal experience.
    I didn't get invited to 3rd round interview which will be the office interview.

Interview Questions

• There was no suprising question. It is very well organized and they seemed to try best to make all candidates well informed before coming to interview. such as workshop and coaching session. Which were relly usuful. However the exhibition I was given was a way more complicated than the one I met through this workshop or coaching session. That was the only one I found challenging   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

Initial interview was a set of two cases and behavioural questions. The interviews were in their main office and with 2 partners. They were looking for strength of leadership and analysis. It is a great company but it is not for everyone.

Interview Questions

• Please give me a time when you had to influence a group.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

Brought in through APD recruitment program. First round was a problem-solving test and group practice case. Second round was individual personal and case interviews. Experience with case interviews is definitely necessary--if you plan to apply, start practicing before applying as there might only be a short amount of time between your first and second round interviews.

Received useful individual feedback about my performance after each round.

Interview Questions

• None--they are very straightforward about the structure of the interview process and how to prepare.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three rounds
    1) Problem Solving Test and Group Mock Interview
    The Problem Solving Test is highly time constrained. It is important to take the online practice tests to get a sense of how to budget your time. The online practice tests are very similar in format and difficulty to the actual test. I was told that the Group Mock Interview is not selective. Just don't break any social norms. It's a good way for you to learn the McKinsey interview format.

2) Two 1:1 interviews
    Each interview consists of two parts. The first part is the Personal Experience Interview, which is one story, usually with a lead-in question of "Tell me about a time when you... [demonstrated leadership/overcame an obstacle/had impact/etc]". The second part is the case, which is interviewer led and usually starts with a case description, then a break for you to structure an approach, then a quantitative question with some data the interview provides, then one or two more open-ended questions, and finally a short impromptu conclusion.

3) Three 1:1 interviews
    Same as 2), except with more senior people at the firm (Principals & Partners). Some may go a little "off-script", but format is still fairly similar.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through my business school (top-15) in U.S for the BTO practice. I interviewed first round in one office and then second round at my chosen office. The first round interview (two cases and PEIs) went very well - I was told that I was one of the 'standout' candidates. The second round had 4 interviews (PEI and case in each), 3 of them with Partners and one with Associate Principal. Interview cases were not hard - the math was very easy and I solved them correctly. Some brainstorming with one partner maybe didn't go very well because his point of view had certain assumptions (that I brought out). Disappointed to not get an offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Problem solving test was one hour analytic/ critical reading exam. Short on time. Must be quick with estimation and math.
    Group interview consisted of two interviews in groups of four to five candidates with a consultant working through a case. Consultant asks each candidate a question and others may then build on that response.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult part was time management of problem solving test to start the day.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

First round: PEI and group case. Advancing to next round depends on score on exam.

Second round: Two separate hour-long interviews with an engagement manager and an associate. Part behavioral/part case

Final round: Four separate hour-long interviews with three partners and an engagement manager. Much more difficult than the second round of interviews.