McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

3.9

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted application online. Contacted 4 weeks later for an interview. Had first round interview, was contacted day after informing me I would have a second round interview a week later.

Procurement Systems Interview

Interview

I got a called and held a quick phone interview, after which I was asked to come to the office. Once I got there, it seemed to me the person had no idea we had talked on the phone before and exchanged emails... Before I sat for the interview though, I was given an excel test, which I was first told I would have 30 minutes, but it turned out to be 20. I was also told I would be given a wonderlic test, but I was not given any. My overall impression is that the office is ran by very snobby people.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied through my university, asked to come in for an interview. The first part was their standardized test -- a little like GRE but trickier -- and then some mock group case interviews which were pretty straightforward. The test (PST) was tricky, didn't pass, wasn't invited to the second round of interviews.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through school. 1st round interview and followed by 2nd round with partner. 1st round was case based and also had behavioral component. Recommend interviewer led cases. 2nd round was more behavioral and some ad hoc cases

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

1st round PST and 2nd round onsite interview. 1st interview includes PST and two group case practices. Seems that only PST counts for whether getting into next round or not. 2nd round included two sessions. 15 mins personal experience and 30 mins case interview. Mostly engagement manager will lead the case

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a party of multi-interest and multi-background?   Answer Question

Interview

There's resume screening, then I got the chance to revise my office preferences (which I indicated in the application form). The next stage was the first round on-site interview with 2 consultants. The final (or second to the last stage, depending on circumstances) moved on to the second round on-site interview with 3 consultants. Very pleasant experience. The recruiter is very professional and nice. Typical interviews, and the formats are identical to what McKinsey posted on its website. There are case-coaching sessions right before each round (once one proceeds beyond the first-round). It seems that most APD and Associate hires go through three on-site interviews by default. Undergrad BA hires go through two on-site interviews.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions

• An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was incredibly organized and fast-paced. I made it through the PST test stage, but unfortunately did not make it past the 2nd round regional interview stage. There was nothing unexpected in the interview, it is exactly as they say it will be on their Careers website. The feedback I received after not going on to the next stage was extremely helpful.

Interview Questions

• One of my cases was on banking. I hadn't practiced enough banking questions, and was a bit unprepared for the math.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions

• How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question