McKinsey & Company

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I applied to McKinsey through my university's On Campus Recruiting services. There was an information session in the beginning of the semester where they had nearly two dozen McKinseyites, including former summer interns, current employees, and former employees pursuing MBAs. The presentation featured a partner who showed all of the places around the world that she traveled to with McKinsey. There was also a panel of BAs who talked about their experiences with the firm. After the presentation, I spoke with an MBA student from Dubai. He was very intelligent and well-spoken.

Soon afterwards, I submitted my application, which was your basic Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript. After being selected for a first round interview, a "buddy" (a Business Analyst) emailed me to ask if I wanted to do a case interview. They also had a session for all of the candidates where they broke into small groups and ran us through a practice case.

The interview consisted of two hour-long interviews. They each started with a behavioral question where I had to tell a story about my personal leadership experience extensively. Then they went into cases. One was about a linens distributor, and the other one was about research at a university.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time where you where a group was underperforming and you helped turn it around?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter, set up for an interview, received a case buddy to study for the case with who came from McKinsey. All around lots of communication and helped with a lot of resources.

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Recruited on-campus, initial resume drop and many events to network with employees at McKinsey, then attended first round on-campus. 2 45 minute case interviews, each with a case and fit questions. Be prepared for interviewer-driven type cases about anything. Also, fit focused on only one extracurricular, and drove down to specifics of every action and conversation you had, so practice your fit well.

Interview Questions
    • Questions drove deep about specific experience and what you specifically did in each scenario   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Applied as an advanced degree candidate online. The recruitment staff is extremely prompt and helpful; one of the best you will ever encounter. Made it to their final round - 3 interviews in a span of a few hours ( with 2 junior partners and a director)

In hindsight, I would worry less about the cases (the interviewers help you along and hopefully if you get past the first few rounds, you are smart enough to figure things out eventually) and more about demonstrating that you are up to the job. This can certainly be done by providing good insights on the cases but everything else is just as important. Building a good rapport with everyone that you encounter (interviewer or not) is invaluable.

Interview Questions
    • What is your career alternative to management consulting?   View Answer
    • How do you think McKinsey & Company is different from other consulting firms?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Research Analyst Interview

They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Questions
    • what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

good grilling process ,with technical written along with case studies.one of a kind of interviews,one would rarely experience.
    3 written tests along with 3 rounds of interviews of which 2 technical.

Summer Insight Asia Program Interview

Submitted resume and a 500 word essay online.
    Phone interview by an senior associate from Beijing Office.
    30 mins. 10 mins fit questions.(why consulting? why McKinsey? Why greater China? a leadership experience) 20 mins mini case (tech company expand into lower end market. )

Didn't get the offer, but was invited back to full-time interview in the fall.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

Got one phone interview from the team leader. It took one month after I applied it online. The person asked about some programing skills and also asked about experience on the resume.