McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

4.0

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The whole process is challenging as you would expect:
- Starts with a math test. It is as difficult or perhaps more than the numerical bit from the GMAT
- 2-3 rounds of 2-3 interviews
- Each interview has a case and a personal component.

Interview Questions

• Perhaps the most difficult bit is the numerical exam at the beginning. Make sure you practice just to avoid typical errors. Also be strategic, if a question is to difficult dont spend too much time in it (as in the GMAT) given that the test is timed.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied online after attending some networking / careers event on campus. After a few days, the HR suggested days for PST. My schedule was very full, so I could come after a month. After successful PST, I was offered ~8 different dates for interviews. I did the interviews about 10 weeks after the test. There were two rounds of interviews, each comprising 3 1-hour long interviews). The first round was with managers (EMs), the second round with partners. The interviewers were very kind and helpful and after each round they provided me with some feedback.

Interview Questions

• 1. fit questions (e.g. describe a situation when you worked in a team and it did not go well)
      2. case (20-40 minutes) 3. my questions about the company

1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2015.

Interview

The process begins when I applied after attending the firm's presentation at my university. After 2 weeks, an invitation for the first round interview was sent to me. The interview is 2 weeks after the notice. Result for the first round interviews (2x 1:1 interview) was given on the same day as the interviews. I proceeded to do two of the required 3 final round interviews on the same day. The final interview to complete the final round interviews was scheduled 1 week after. After 6 weeks from the initial contact, an official offer was arranged.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a time where you have to show leadership qualities.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for a generalist consultant role. (early October)

I was phoned and asked if I would consider a specialist role within the Business Technology Office (which only launched after my application). (early October)

This was followed by a written assignment about myself (mid-late October)

I was invited for Problem Solving Test (mid November)

I was invited for First Round Interviews for early December but I was overseas on potential dates, so this was deferred to January. (late November)

Attended First Round Interviews (3 x 1 hour) (late January)

Invited to Final Round Interviews in April (early February)

Attended Final Round Interviews (2 x 1 hour) in April and was made an offer within 30 minutes of leaving.

Interview Questions

• My interviews all followed the same structure.
      They consisted of 2 parts: the case and the personal experience interview (PEI).

I believe you make a bigger impression of whether you will be a good candidate in the PEI (over the case question).

Expect questions around what YOU did in situations where:
      -you were a leader
      -you dealt with conflict
      -you made an impact

Each interview asked for only one of each scenario.

1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in December 2014.

Interview

I sent an application online. It took 5 weeks to get a response, and then they asked me if I had any more examples of leadership experience, and asked me to send a new CV including this. Maybe they just wanted me to make an effort, because after that I got an interview.

There were three interviews in the first round with Engagement managers and Junior partners. If I had moved on to the second round there would have been two more interviews with partners.

Interview Questions

• How do we increase the revenues for two year old a local bank, without acquiring new customers.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Interview

I was invited to the Problem Solving Test and prepared with the samples online and GRE/GMAT material.Communication in advance and feedback were good. The test room was too hot and cramped.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Lisbon (Portugal)) in May 2014.

Interview

Submitted my profile in Mckinsey's website and was called for the PST test two days later - Unfortunately I did not pass the PST; make sure you practice enough business cases and GRE/GMAT questions before applying to Mckinsey, I only had 2-3 days to prepare.

Interview Questions

• The PST had three business cases, with a total of 26 questions, still for 75 minutes it was demanding enough to put you under pressure.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chennai (India)).

Interview

App test: 1) Finance 2) English 3) written comunication

There were 3 interview rounds
    1) On personal achievements
    2) Mock ups
    3) HR interview

HR officers don't spook you there, they're friendly
    They just ask questions to know who you are.
    They won't try to outsmart you or slow walk you

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm a fresher and there was no negotiation

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Target school APD (Advanced Professional Degree) BTO (Business Technology Office) for London office. Problem solving test was waived, as I'd taken it previously. 1st round interview was great, well organized and very enjoyable. My 2nd round interview was botched. I was handed off to three different recruiters, with long (1 month+) delays. Took continual prompting and asking a friend in another office to help out to finish the process. The BTO intake seems disorganized compared to the standard batch-day process. 20/20 hindsight, I'd apply as a generalist consultant.

Interview Questions

• Standard McKinsey process. The London-specific 'role-play' scenario was the only unusual bit.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

All recruitment are done from campus. Application date is announced and folks are required to share their CV. Thereafter firm's shortlist of candidate for is announced for the interview. 3-5 rounds of case interviews conducted on campus along-with personal interview. Then a detailed discussion happens on all those who have interviewed and the final job offers are provided