McKinsey & Company

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Quite deltailed.Needs thorough preparation. They is an interview coaching session which they always recommend that the candidates attend.

Interview Question – None. I was just not ready enough for the case , the way in which one structures the responds is theeee most important thing .   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Paris (France)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – Called about a first round interview at the Paris office. Had a week to prepare.

First step was a multiple choice exam (50 mins). Harder than the practice questions online. Roughly 27 questions. You don't need to get them all right---from what I've heard from friends at McK there has only been one person in the history of the exam that has ever answered them all correctly.

Next was a one-on-one case interview.

Interview Question – Standard profitability question. Your client is a CFO for a XYZ company in the UK. The CEO wants to take the company public but says that the CFO's business plan isn't profitable enough. You have 6 weeks to boost profit from 5% to 15%. Please advise.   View Answer

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – 1st round: 1x45 min interview + 70 min Problem Solving Test
2nd round: 3x45 min interview
That was for an internship (for a fulll time position there is one more interview round).
Interview = Experience + case solving + your questions about the firm
At McK, they always ask for a specific accomplishment where you demonstrated your leadership skills, so be prepared with some personal stories and be ready to tell them in a structured way and answer challenging questions.

Interview Question – The quality you do not have yet for consulting.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted another offer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – demanding case studies; be prepared!

Junior Consultant
Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2008.

Interview Details – Overall, interview was planned very well. I was offered an interview date 2 weeks in advance, my travelling and accommodation expenses were organized and fully covered. One of employees contacted me 2 weeks in advance to answer my questions and give some tips about interview process. Overall, interview process consisted of 2 1:1s, where first I've been asked about my background by my resume, than I've been offered several interesting business cases to solve and as the last stage I had a chance to ask questions about my potential employment. My advice is to get prepared well for the interview by solving varios business cases. Although you don't get asked the same business cases that are published in study books or online, you get an idea what to expect. And, of course, the main advice is not to get too nervous!

Interview Questions

• Plesae, describe your extracurricular activities that you took part as Student's parliament member at the university.   View Answer
  • There are 3 products: tomatoes, luxury cars, t-shirts. What value added tax is applied to each product type?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I've recieved a call the same day with an offer. So, decisions are taken really fast. I had a chance to negotiate my home location, salary and start date. My advice is to negotiate every detail that is important to you

Junior Consultant Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2010.

Interview Details – Took the 1hr problem solving test, which comprises 3 business cases with a total of 26 multiple choice questions. Time is a huge constraint as you need to spend a fair amount of time reading the case, digesting the exhibits and questions, and running the numbers (without calculator). The test starts with some sample questions, which you should take note of but quickly skip to the actual questions to save time. I found the first case to be the most difficult, the second to be less difficult and the third was the easiest. If one had known this beforehand, one could work backwards, starting from the third case. I barely finished the test with a couple of minutes left.

Interview Question – The first case was about a seafood restaurant company. Sales of shrimp forms its main stream of revenue.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Junior Consultant interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.