McKinsey & Company

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – Resume submission online + 1 written test + 2 rounds of one-on-one case interviews + 1 group discussion + 1 behavioral interview with manager + 1 behavioral/case interview with Partner

Interview Question – Read a 100-paged case in 30 min and presented as a team   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2011.

Interview Details – 1st round: written test (problem solving test);
2nd round: interviewed by local team leader;
3rd round: interviewed by PD manager & R&I manager;
4th round: interviewed by global research manager;
5th round: interviewed by local Partner.

Interview Question – Written test and case study are the most difficult session   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – There will be a problem solving test for initial screening, and followed by a few rounds of interviews.

Interview Question – Expect business cases   Answer Question

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple Interview rounds and very thorough process. Consisted of a group discussion, assessment on skills (English, Basic math and Logical Reasoning), followed by 3 rounds of face to face interviews and a video conference and telephone call with international people.

Interview Question – They had a few case studies   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No !

Junior Research Analyst

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2011.

Interview Details – Through a personal contact within the firm, my CV and cover letter were sent to a relevant person inside of the organization (a current practice leader and former office manager where I was applying to work at)

After the review of my application, I was called for interviews that would follow the classic McK structure minus one round, since I was interviewing for an intern position:
2 rounds, the FIRST consisting of a "problem solving test" and 3 one-to-one with would be colleagues (typical 15min chatter testing leadership, drive and responsibility + 30-40 min business case).
the SECOND via videoconf consisting of 2 one-to-ones with more senior people

Interview Question – Nothing in particular. Just know you CV inside out and be cool headed. MAke it is a two way interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation from my part, accepted the offer as I received it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Junior Research Analyst interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.