McKinsey & Company

Updated Jan 6, 2015
Updated Jan 6, 2015

3.9

Junior Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Did the Problem Solving Test and 3 rounds of case interviews in Jakarta Indonesia. Mostly were estimation questions (all 3 rounds) and more marketing-oriented questions as opposed to Business Analyst interview questions.

Interview Questions
  • No questions should be unexpected if you prepare from the materials on their website. You can also try and ask for a coach   Answer Question
They would ask you for your expectation before stating their offer.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

Consisted of 2 rounds of interviews. First one included PST test, followed by 3 one-on-one interviews. Research Analyst, Expert and Senior Manager. 30 minutes behavioural, 30 minutes cases.

Called me back for a second round, Pretty much the same process... Screwed up the final case with senior manager.

Overal process is long and demanding. Little or no break in between interviews (5-6 hours), Friendly people.

Interview Questions
    • A case about regulation of PV panels, what recommendations you would make towards the future.   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

After you get through the background check you are being invited for the tests. For me it was the hardest part in the hiring process as they are very binary and tricky. Reading through exemplary tests on McKinsey site can help you a lot.
    After that you are being invited on at least 2 rounds of interviews during which you speak with senior members of the firm. Each interview consists of 2 parts - 1st is speaking about your personal experience. They want you to recall events from the past during which you were stressed, extremely focused and so on. 2nd part is solving a case. Usually you are missing some data and need to either ask for it or assume and ask if the assumption is correct. Preparation to the interview is also available on McKinsey websites. You should definitely look into it as well as it depicts the real process really accurately.
    After each round of interviews you are immediately informed whether you passed or not and get invited for the next round of interviews.

My 2 advices would be:
    1) For test - read question really thoroughly.
    2) For interviews - LISTEN. Do not blab about how awesome you are when you are asked a direct question.

Interview Questions
    • Recall an event from your past when you had to exhibit outstanding leadership.   View Answer

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2012.

There will be a problem solving test for initial screening, and followed by a few rounds of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2011.

1st round: written test (problem solving test);
    2nd round: interviewed by local team leader;
    3rd round: interviewed by PD manager & R&I manager;
    4th round: interviewed by global research manager;
    5th round: interviewed by local Partner.

Interview Questions
    • Written test and case study are the most difficult session   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2011.

Through a personal contact within the firm, my CV and cover letter were sent to a relevant person inside of the organization (a current practice leader and former office manager where I was applying to work at)

After the review of my application, I was called for interviews that would follow the classic McK structure minus one round, since I was interviewing for an intern position:
    2 rounds, the FIRST consisting of a "problem solving test" and 3 one-to-one with would be colleagues (typical 15min chatter testing leadership, drive and responsibility + 30-40 min business case).
    the SECOND via videoconf consisting of 2 one-to-ones with more senior people

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. Just know you CV inside out and be cool headed. MAke it is a two way interview.   Answer Question
    No negociation from my part, accepted the offer as I received it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Resume submission online + 1 written test + 2 rounds of one-on-one case interviews + 1 group discussion + 1 behavioral interview with manager + 1 behavioral/case interview with Partner

Interview Questions
    • Read a 100-paged case in 30 min and presented as a team   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

Multiple Interview rounds and very thorough process. Consisted of a group discussion, assessment on skills (English, Basic math and Logical Reasoning), followed by 3 rounds of face to face interviews and a video conference and telephone call with international people.