McKinsey & Company

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred to McKinsey as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited to the round one interview (IWIA). The IWIA consisted of the problem-solving test and two group cases. The second round interview consisted of two one-on-one cases.

Interview Question – A frequent flyer program is concerned about the entrant of a low-cost airline into the US market. What should they do?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2011.

Interview Details – I got literally one day's notice before my interview, so I feel like I was set up to fail. No "buddy" no "coaching" no help whatsoever. I had two phone interview case studies, which are almost impossible to do over the phone, because so much of a case study is body language and/or charts and graphs that they should give you on paper.

One interview went OK, although the phone connection on the interviewer's end was horrible. The other interview was awful. The person who interviewed me spent at least 50% of the time talking about themselves and all their amazing career accomplishments, so then the case portion was rushed and I did not have enough time to finish. The interviewer also snapped at me if I did not understand immediately what they wanted.

A week later, an admin sent me a rejection notice. No feedback provided. It's very depressing once you realize how much the game is rigged towards the Ivy Leaguers. They get coaching from McKinsey, they get a "buddy" who helps them prepare, they get weeks and weeks of notice for interviewers. Thus, the McKinsey interviewing system very simply perpetuates this machine of Ivy Leaguers helping other Ivy Leaguers. Any one outside of that system has very very very little chance of getting in. How could they? The Ivy Leaguers have all of the advantages and are allowed more leeway than anyone else applying.

McKinsey prides itself of being a meritocracy but this is a total joke. If it was, where was my coach? Where was my buddy? Where is my interview feedback? Where the interviewer who should be trying to help me succeed (as referenced in the other reviews)? Why did I get a rejection email from an admin, rather than a call from the person who interviewed me? Why did I not get the same treatment as those who went to fancy schools even though I interviewed for the same job?

If I sound bitter, I am. I was set up.

Interview Question – It was all hard because the phone line was so bad and they were unclear. They did not seem at all interested in seeing me succeed.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – APD candidate. Applied for Insight Engineering program via resume drop and 30 minute phone interview, which includes a case. Being selected to attend Insight gives an automatic interview for full time position.

Interview Question – A phone company is looking to expand profitability by introducing either a low-end or a high-end handset. What should they do?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2008.

Interview Details – Received an email from a recruiter. Traveled to LA. Spent the next day testing and interviewing.

Interview Question – Give me the book title and chapter titles for a major accomplishment.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2007.

Interview Details – These guys are professionals. They were 100% on top of things throughout the whole process - nothing ever slipped through the cracks. As for the interviews themselves, they were difficult b/c McKinsey gives a case interview and a fit/experience interview in which they are looking for certain evidence that you'll fit in the firm. The cases were too bad, but they definitely had a lot of numbers - dexterity with math is a must. And they push on the fit/experience part just as hard for evidence of accomplishment and leadership.

Interview Question – It was a question about offer rates and close rates for a sales force in dealing with customers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No - there is really no negotiating b/c their compensation is set at offer time and then varies to peers only after performance is assessed.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!