McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015
Updated Mar 15, 2015

4.0

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, process was formal and professional, HR wants to make sure they are hiring the best and the brightest.

I would have been what they call an experienced hire, meaning not someone straight out of undergrad or business school. I think the process for experienced hires is a bit more vague, and it seems like most people who land a job here get it through a campus recruiting program.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through school. 1st round interview and followed by 2nd round with partner. 1st round was case based and also had behavioral component. Recommend interviewer led cases. 2nd round was more behavioral and some ad hoc cases

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

1st round PST and 2nd round onsite interview.
    1st interview includes PST and two group case practices. Seems that only PST counts for whether getting into next round or not.

2nd round included two sessions. 15 mins personal experience and 30 mins case interview. Mostly engagement manager will lead the case

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a party of multi-interest and multi-background?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was incredibly organized and fast-paced. I made it through the PST test stage, but unfortunately did not make it past the 2nd round regional interview stage.

There was nothing unexpected in the interview, it is exactly as they say it will be on their Careers website.

The feedback I received after not going on to the next stage was extremely helpful.

Interview Questions
    • One of my cases was on banking. I hadn't practiced enough banking questions, and was a bit unprepared for the math.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process is not a short one. It can expand for a couple of months and several contacts over the phone. It is mainly based on your experiences and case based. So be really prepared for the cases. The process is exactly what they tell the applicants is going to be. So do not expect any surprises just review all the materials they provide through its website and through your recruiter, study all the basic interviewing questions (tell me about yourself, how your experience relates to the position, etc). Be yourself, review your resume, gather and study all the material they provide and you will do fine.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Had a friend refer me, did the pre-test and passed, did not make it through the first round of case interviews. I was in the middle of grad school and did not put in the amount of time necessary to practice for the case studies. A couple of my friends who made it to the final round and/or got offers essentially put their graduate studies on hold for a few weeks to solely focus on case prep--to truly be successful, that type of commitment is necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that difficult or unexpected--it's just important to be really familiar with various cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2012.

I went through the full interview process with McKinsey, total of 9 interviews spread out over several months, and two trips to Chicago. I was being considered as an industry hire, so this was not the traditional MBA path, though certainly similar.
    It was a great sequence of a first discussion with an HR person to introduce me to the process, followed by a first training case study (phone), a real case interview (phone), a case study training session (webcast), a trip to Chicago with three case interviews (2 live, one through video link), a second trip to Chicago with two case interviews and a written test, and then one final complementary phone interview.
    All the way, I met very interesting and capable people, the process itself was process grueling - training for case studies in parallel to a full time executive job is not easy - but also very motivating.

Interview Questions
    • Paradoxically, the most difficult case for me was one which related to my own background (manufacturing) - because I felt so familiar with the context, I did not lay it the process out as clearly as I could have. The lesson is that even if the context is familiar, the same rigorous lay-out of the case study should be applied.   Answer Question

I took an offer at another management consulting firm. Both offers were compelling, and it was a very difficult decision, but ultimately I felt a bit more in tune with a more generalist approach, while McKinsey was very interested in my vertical expertise.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I had never considered a career in consulting until I was invited by McKinsey to apply for their recruiting process in Brazil, and I must say I regret having decided to participate. The interview was not particularly difficult content-wise and seemed to be designed to determine whether a candidate fits into a certain mold rather than assessing linear/logical thinking, creativity, and other relevant skill sets. My interviewer was at times aloof and at times confrontational, missed key pieces of information (e.g. misstating "profits" for "revenues"), checked her phone constantly, took a call mid-answer (which obviously threw me off, as I had to stop in my tracks and restart from the top), and even failed to display the common courtesy of saying goodbye when we were done. Time management was also quite poor (2:30 for 2 interviews, which I don't believe to be the firm's standard and made the process unnecessarily wearisome). All in all, a quite disrespectful stance, which left me with a rather poor impression of McKinsey.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a situation in which you showed leadership" (the same question was asked by both interviewers; the redundancy suggested a lack of coordination).   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied online with resume and other required documents. They seem to be flexible with resume formatting if you are coming from academia (i.e. have a PhD). Staff and consultants during the interview process were super friendly but we were a bit crammed during the test. Other than that not much to complain about.