McKinsey & Company
www.mckinsey.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Consultant Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – I went through the full interview process with McKinsey, total of 9 interviews spread out over several months, and two trips to Chicago. I was being considered as an industry hire, so this was not the traditional MBA path, though certainly similar.
It was a great sequence of a first discussion with an HR person to introduce me to the process, followed by a first training case study (phone), a real case interview (phone), a case study training session (webcast), a trip to Chicago with three case interviews (2 live, one through video link), a second trip to Chicago with two case interviews and a written test, and then one final complementary phone interview.
All the way, I met very interesting and capable people, the process itself was process grueling - training for case studies in parallel to a full time executive job is not easy - but also very motivating.

Interview Question – Paradoxically, the most difficult case for me was one which related to my own background (manufacturing) - because I felt so familiar with the context, I did not lay it the process out as clearly as I could have. The lesson is that even if the context is familiar, the same rigorous lay-out of the case study should be applied.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I took an offer at another management consulting firm. Both offers were compelling, and it was a very difficult decision, but ultimately I felt a bit more in tune with a more generalist approach, while McKinsey was very interested in my vertical expertise.

Management Consultant Associate
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2010.

Interview Details – one screening interview, one phone case interview, round 1 (three cases), exam, then round two of three cases

Interview Question – Cases, never expect it   Answer Question

Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2010.

Interview Details – they will interview every candidate with case management interview. They usually give you some problem in a real company and then you have to give your solution in order to solver the problem that they currently face at!

Interview Question – A is a theme park company and they have been established from a long time ago. Suddenly there is B company that also a company that runs theme park. B company causes declining in A's company salary. Mckinsey will give you some data and condition. You have to make solution for them   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.