McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.9

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)).

Interview

They (Mckinsey recruiting stuff) told me that I missed the dateline for their recruitment process. Therefore, I have to wait for 2 weeks for them to reply me. After two week, they asked me to seat for PST test. They advice me to prepared for that. I did not get through after the test.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Milan (Italy)) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview starts with a written problem solving test, which is by and large similar to the GMAT, but it also involves lots of context on the business situation before getting into the analytical questions. You do not have to score perfectly and depending on the cases you might be allowed on the next rounds even if you fail it. Then you have the standard series of interviews with behavioral&business case questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to convince other people to follow your idea   1 Answer

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

The first step in the application process is to submit a cv and depending on location preference a short personal essay may be required. The next step in the process is the McKinsey Problem Solving test where candidates have to complete a one hour multiple choice test in the office of the company to test their numerical and verbal reasoning relating to several business cases. The company offered the opportunity to complete a practice test preceding the final test and these were conducted in a fairly informal way in their offices. This section was demanding on candidates maths skills and many candidates seemed to miss out at this point. If candidates were successful in the test, they were quickly notified and moved onto the first round of interviews which involved interviews with 2 McKinsey consultants. The interviews consisted of a personal interview and a case study. The personal interview involved focusing on one specific experience in great detail which was very challenging and required high levels of detail. The case study portion of the interview involved working through a company's position and is similar to those completed on their website.

Interview Questions

• I think the most difficult question was in responding to the personal question which delved into personal relationships that I had with other people who I had worked with in the past. They really sought to tease out any tensions that occurred between myself and others and how I had dealt with them. They explored how I dealt with people from different backgrounds and abilities and sought great detail about my experiences and my response to them. The interviewers searched for occasions when I had been in conflict with others and how I dealt with it. Over the course of half an hour or so,They acquired a great amount of detail and really teased out my understanding of my own behaviour and how it influenced others.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial first meeting was a phone interview for screening. A week later asked to come in for 1 on 3 (senior consultants) interview including math and business case exam. They provided feedback after the interview and had a bit of role playing. Final interview was with partner where he asked more behavioural questions and seeing if it was a right fit. Great conversation with the partner.

Interview Questions

• You are faced with a transformational nightmare, what are the steps to overcome losing the client?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I demanded a salary, they blinked, i offered another salary, they took it

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Hiring process starts with completing an online application, followed by selection to a Problem Solving Test, Once successful, the candicate takes 1st round interview of 3 hours. Once successful, the take a final interview of 2 hours with partner or director

Interview Questions

• Approaching case interview with little practice   1 Answer

Negotiation

Reasonable

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in February 2015.

Interview

You are first invited to a coaching session covering the fit and the case part of the interview. My advice is to come there really prepared (having already practiced a lot) because you have the opportunity to ask very specific questions. They advise to schedule the first round of interviews min. 2 weeks after this session. It consisted in 3 interviews as usual for that types of firm. The only thing unexpected was that I was interviewed by a manager, a partner and a managing director (for a first round) because they had too many people to interview. The cases were quite challenging but nothing really unexpected. However, they are really demanding for the fit part, asking much more questions/details compared to BCG & Bain. You really have to prepare at least two strong examples for each dimension that you can find on their website (leadership, personal impact, drive). Each interview covers one dimension but other questions might be asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe me a situation where you faced challenging goals, differing opinions, etc and you had to take risks in order to get people on board and achieve the objective.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Got an invitation for an interview because of a referral. Spoke to a woman over the phone in the Chicago office about the company and their fit. The interview didn't include any technical questions or a case analysis.

Interview Questions

• Basic fit questions, why did you choose your major, walk me through your resume, how does your past experience fit with McKinsey, what are your geographic preferences, how willing are you to travel, etc   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The interview was great. Described the position, departments, and kind of projects you'd working on. Asked about experience, successes, challenges, and next steps.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with a client that has low employee/staff morale   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Interview

There's resume screening, then I got the chance to revise my office preferences (which I indicated in the application form). The next stage was the first round on-site interview with 2 consultants. The final (or second to the last stage, depending on circumstances) moved on to the second round on-site interview with 3 consultants. Very pleasant experience. The recruiter is very professional and nice. Typical interviews, and the formats are identical to what McKinsey posted on its website. There are case-coaching sessions right before each round (once one proceeds beyond the first-round). It seems that most APD and Associate hires go through three on-site interviews by default. Undergrad BA hires go through two on-site interviews.