McKinsey & Company

Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.3

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

There's resume screening, then I got the chance to revise my office preferences (which I indicated in the application form). The next stage was the first round on-site interview with 2 consultants. The final (or second to the last stage, depending on circumstances) moved on to the second round on-site interview with 3 consultants. Very pleasant experience. The recruiter is very professional and nice.

Typical interviews, and the formats are identical to what McKinsey posted on its website. There are case-coaching sessions right before each round (once one proceeds beyond the first-round). It seems that most APD and Associate hires go through three on-site interviews by default. Undergrad BA hires go through two on-site interviews.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

Initial first meeting was a phone interview for screening. A week later asked to come in for 1 on 3 (senior consultants) interview including math and business case exam. They provided feedback after the interview and had a bit of role playing. Final interview was with partner where he asked more behavioural questions and seeing if it was a right fit. Great conversation with the partner.

Interview Questions
    • You are faced with a transformational nightmare, what are the steps to overcome losing the client?   Answer Question
    I demanded a salary, they blinked, i offered another salary, they took it

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Got an invitation for an interview because of a referral. Spoke to a woman over the phone in the Chicago office about the company and their fit. The interview didn't include any technical questions or a case analysis.

Interview Questions
    • Basic fit questions, why did you choose your major, walk me through your resume, how does your past experience fit with McKinsey, what are your geographic preferences, how willing are you to travel, etc   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The interview was great. Described the position, departments, and kind of projects you'd working on. Asked about experience, successes, challenges, and next steps.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with a client that has low employee/staff morale   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The first step in the application process is to submit a cv and depending on location preference a short personal essay may be required.
    The next step in the process is the McKinsey Problem Solving test where candidates have to complete a one hour multiple choice test in the office of the company to test their numerical and verbal reasoning relating to several business cases. The company offered the opportunity to complete a practice test preceding the final test and these were conducted in a fairly informal way in their offices. This section was demanding on candidates maths skills and many candidates seemed to miss out at this point.
    If candidates were successful in the test, they were quickly notified and moved onto the first round of interviews which involved interviews with 2 McKinsey consultants. The interviews consisted of a personal interview and a case study. The personal interview involved focusing on one specific experience in great detail which was very challenging and required high levels of detail. The case study portion of the interview involved working through a company's position and is similar to those completed on their website.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question was in responding to the personal question which delved into personal relationships that I had with other people who I had worked with in the past. They really sought to tease out any tensions that occurred between myself and others and how I had dealt with them. They explored how I dealt with people from different backgrounds and abilities and sought great detail about my experiences and my response to them. The interviewers searched for occasions when I had been in conflict with others and how I dealt with it. Over the course of half an hour or so,They acquired a great amount of detail and really teased out my understanding of my own behaviour and how it influenced others.   View Answer