McKinsey & Company

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

The process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2007.

Interview Details – The interview process is rigorous but smooth. Recruiters are extremely attentive and friendly, and interviews consist of a case and a personal interview - usually 2 in the first round with manager-level interviewers and 3 in the second round with partner-level interviewers. Each interview consists of a case and a personal experience segment.

Interview Question – What is a time you made a mistake?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary, benefits - levels are pre-set unless you are very senior. Some ability to negotiate your location.

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2007.

Interview Details – Well, I was given the offer and I accepted, so that says that I liked it.

I think it was the standard consulting process. 7x ~45 min interviews (1 on the phone, 2x 1st round in-person, 4x 2nd round in-person). 5 min hi/chit chat, 30 min case, 15 min personality.

There is now a written portion up front, it wasn't there when I interviewed.

One last thing is that they did an online (Webex) and phone prep interview before my 1st rounds, i.e. after my first phone interview, to further prep me. These were incredibly useful. Don't know if they do it for everyone.

Interview Question – Interviewer (first question, without looking at the resume): So... what should I know about you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Look at it this way: The things you would negotiate I guess are:
1. Compensation
2. Location
3. What else? Nada

On #1, they have set tiers and starting salaries, so not much going on there.
On #2, you are applying for a position in an office or group of offices, so that is already taken care of.

Other than that, the perks are decided by the office leaders, so you can't say: "Hey, give me a better computer" or "Pay for my parking".

There is probably some negotiations at the top level, i.e. if you are coming in as a partner, etc. But at the foot soldier level, you take what is given to you.

Very Difficult Interview

Warsaw (Poland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – I applied online and got invited the next day. The interview process at this firm is often evaluated as the most difficult of all firms. The first stage is Problem Solving Test which invited applicants take at local offices. The test examines deep analytical skills. Business knowledge is not required to pass the test. Detailed tests results are not shared with candidates. Only passed/failed feedback is provided.

Interview Question – The overall difficulty level of the test was higher than this of sample tests available at company's website. I was surprised with extended duration of the test. If English is not your first language, you are allowed 15 extra minutes to complete the test (75 in total).   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Senior Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.