McKinsey & Company

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

A recruiter contacted me about an opportunity and due to some issues at my current employer, I was open to applying to the firm (had rejected consulting due to quality of life previously). First round was with HR, then had a couple of phone interviews and a coaching session. I really liked the experts I met via phone interview and got pretty excited about the opportunity once I learned that experts don't travel quite as much as other consultants - more like 40-50%, which was on par with my current role and suits me fine. Last round was in-person at the office. The interviewer was kind of a jerk - standoffish and unfriendly. The case he gave me totally stumped me because he gave me nothing to work with - as I went through my framework, all of his responses were "it's flat" "we don't have that info" etc. He then let me know that he knows my current boss very well and wondered if my boss was aware I was interviewing with McKinsey and asked if I was ok with him knowing - "Ummm, NO!" So, I realized pretty quickly that I didn't have a chance at winning this guy over. Even though THEY called ME, his vibe was that I was disloyal for being there - it was an unpleasant experience. I also found the case coaching session very stressful - be prepared for it to feel like an interview and you should be basically interview-ready for that session (I had NO clue) and felt like an idiot after the call.

My takeaway on McKinsey, they are looking people who fit a very particular mold - if that isn't you, don't try to force it...just move on to where you fit.

Interview Questions
  • Case scenario where everything about the business is FLAT...totally threw me as every branch on my framework seemed to lead to a dead end.   Answer Question