McKinsey & Company

McKinsey & Company Summer Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Informed by a recruiter to take a paper-based test on site, which was followed by two rounds of group case interviews. The test was pretty challenging and it decides whether a candidate could make it to the next round. My feel is that there was no clear cut-off point for the test. Whether you can pass the first round is also dependent on how your competitors perform on the day.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2012.

Got past the screener interview at my school but failed the quant exam at the office

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

McKinsey worked hart to ensure that every interviewee had a positive interview experience - they assigned buddies who can offer you insider's view about the company and case coaches who you can practice a mock case with. First round was in SF office with 1 problem solving test and 2 interviews, both with 1 behavioral question and a case. Final round was in Palo Alto, with 3 one on one interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

by mid-January: Submit resume and cover letter through university recruiting website

by late-January: McKinsey notifies you by email that you've been invited to interview. They give you one week's notice. The first round of interviews includes:

a one-hour, 26-question multiple choice test. Not knowledge specific, but I recommend doing a practice one before hand so you're up to speed with doing math quickly and ready to recognize where some of the questions are headed.

The next day you have face-to-face case interviews - two, each one lasting for one hour. You introduce yourself, launch right into a business case for 40 minutes or so, and conclude by discussing one in-depth personal anecdote that illuminates your leadership qualities.

As far as the cases go, McKinsey's have a certain flavor. Start out broadly, then the interviewer will guide you to a specific, number driven problem, then you back up and discuss implications.

Interview Questions
    • about a commercial bank - where to expand client base? Among wealthy clients or students?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First Phase - Standard Mckinsey PST, found in the Internet

Second Phase - Round of 2 interviews, with associates (MBA degreed, around their 30's),one associate at a time ,around 1 hour for each, around 15 minutes of Personal Experiences, Skills and Motivation, Rest of the interview discussing business case, first part mostly descriptive and argumentative, second part more quantative.

Third Phase (and Final) - Very similar to the second phase, but with partners, more senior members, and higher in company's hierarchy.

Interview Questions
    • Name a life event that you consider to have change your life significantly.

Name Strenghts and weeknesses of your work performance, tell how those weaknesses aftected your previous work

Answer Question
    Standart, the money is predefined, not much space for negotiations, the summer internship is supposed to evaluate the candidate to consider a full time offer

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Problem solving tests in oxford, first round interiew in London office, Final Round interview at a hotel in hampshire.
    Throughout the entire process the company is very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • The role play in the final round was difficult. Various case studies just take a lot of practise   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

After the HR team selected my CV I was invited to a business test in their Madrid offices. In 48h I was emailed by a HR girl who invited me to the 1st round interview, also in Madrid (this time they were paying my traveling expenses). I also attended a coaching call before the 1st round interview with a McK consultant, which explained me the interviewing process and discussed a business case with me and a few other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Interpretation of graphics and numbers on a slide, about some company' market share.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

1:1 interview. Two parts, personal and case study. 2 interviewers, each one around 1 hour, one interviewer was a senior consultant while the other one was a partner. People was nice and I received feedback after a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Moment when you had a conflict with a group and how you solved it   Answer Question
    • A problem with a time constrain and what you did   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2011.

First round was two 1 on 1s and the problem solving test
     Test was very easy and time sufficient. Second round was a lunch buffet + presentation to the partners. Food was good, but the whole experience quite.scary. Consultants seemed very nice.

Interview Questions

Got offer.from a HF that couldnt be declined

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2010.

applied through school.
    Wrote the essay, took the test.
    a week later, went through the 1st round of interviews and have been invited back to the final rounds. No clue what that's going to be like yet. Because different offices really have different styles, I am told.
    i feel like my first case didnt go as well (serious engineering case- i am an arts student, go figure), but with second case it went wonderfully (better than wonderfully). engagement manager walked in and made me write entire case on white board, including structure and stand up and present it.....
    called back for finals.... hoping they give me something outside the box again, seem to do great in such cases.

Interview Questions
    • Snowmobile company wants to increase revenue in a year by 25%.... work the details out (is it possible? CEO s very certain he can!) and give them new and creative ideas how to do so.   Answer Question