McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2015

4.1

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2015.

Interview

Got an on campus interview by applying online to both the McKinsey website and our campus recruiting website. A week before the interview, McKinsey hosted a case interview workshop, during which BA's gave us tips on the process and split us up into groups for a practice case. This was super helpful, given it was the first case interview I have ever experienced. I also found potential study buddies.

The first round interview was on my college campus: one-hour interviews with two Engagement Managers each, 15 minutes devoted to Fit and 45 minutes devoted to the case. My interview was Friday, and on Monday, the recruiter called to let me know I had a second final interview in two weeks. At this point, tons of people from McKinsey e-mailed me to congratulate me in getting a second interview and offered to either grab coffee or review cases with me. My first round interviewer called to give me feedback on how I can improve, which was incredibly helpful. I was very touched and amazed by the support I received from McKinsey at this point.

My final interview was on-site at the office I applied for. The night before, all the applicants had dinner with current BA's, which was really fun. Again, the final interview was standard, this time I was interviewed by 2 partners a 1 associate principal. The interviews were from 8-11am, and by 1pm a partner I interviewed with called to tell me I had an offer. That night, all offerees were invited to celebrate. I had a blast interviewing with McKinsey, and very much appreciated the professionalism of the company, the support they gave interviewees, and the enthusiasm the people in the company had for their jobs.

Interview Questions

• Fit questions-- What is a time you have failed? What was a time you had a disagreement with a team member? What was a time you had to make a difficult decision as a leader?

Case interviews-- standard case interview questions. There was a case presented on an iPad app, which was cool!

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

One hour with one interviewer, one hour with the next. In total, it was one two-hour interview. Each hour had 30 minutes of fit/experience questions and 30 minutes of a case. Fit/experience questions were fairly straightforward/expected, but the cases were difficult.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2015.

Interview

I had two rounds of interviews, one on-campus (target school) and one at their headquarters. I had two interviews in the first round, and three interviews in the second round. Each interview lasts about an hour. They all consisted of a PEI, a case, and an opportunity to ask questions. The cases are pretty standard, and heavily driven by the interviewer. I found that the PEI was where the difference was made, especially in the initial rounds. Taking a while to plan out punchy PEI examples was really worth it, since it helped distinguish my application in the minds of my interviewers. However, don't go so far as planning out which interviewer gets which PEI story in advance--each PEI is a little different, and you risk being off-topic if you launch in to a prepared speech as soon as you hear a PEI prompt. You can give the same examples in round 2 that you gave in round 1, but don't use the same example more than once per round. Questions, especially when you're in front of a partner, are really great opportunities to learn about the nuances of the office you're applying for.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First round interview was two case studies plus personal impact questions. Personal impact questions included tell me about a time when you overcame an adversity or tell me about a time when you had to overcome a disagreement with someone and work with them on a team.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied through my schools on campus recruiting program. First round interviews consisted of two back to back 1-hour interviews, approx 20 min behavioral and 40 min case for each. The cases were interesting and on a variety of industries-- more difficult than Bain's, but easier than BCG's. They were very much interviewer driven, which made the initial framework less important.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied online, received first round interview on campus. It consisted of 2 back to back one on one interviews. Each interview had a personal experience (telling a story to answer a personality question) and a case.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted application online. Contacted 4 weeks later for an interview. Had first round interview, was contacted day after informing me I would have a second round interview a week later.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Interview process was very accommodating and courteous. Fantastic company with a great HR. Passed the phone interview, went to the office for second round. Fit and case interviews with an interviewer. Took the McKinsey test. Fit and case with another interviewer. Final round with MD.

Interview Questions

• The cases are the most difficult. They can be about anything. Just have to practice and think quickly.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Everyone was very nice. Interview consisted of the test and two case studies. Final round was with MD.

Interview Questions

• Case studies are the most difficult. Can't really prepare besides a lot of practice   Answer Question