McKinsey & Company

Updated Dec 3, 2014

4.2

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Went through normal campus recruiting cycle; written test was just like they told us. We all took the test together and everyone felt it was very difficult! One interview on campus and a second round in the office location.

Interview Questions
  • Case interviews, nothing out of character; Case in Point was helpful (cliche, but true!)   Answer Question
Not able to negotiate; definitely entering as a cog in the system

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview process was very accommodating and courteous. Fantastic company with a great HR. Passed the phone interview, went to the office for second round. Fit and case interviews with an interviewer. Took the McKinsey test. Fit and case with another interviewer. Final round with MD.

Interview Questions
    • The cases are the most difficult. They can be about anything. Just have to practice and think quickly.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Everyone was very nice. Interview consisted of the test and two case studies. Final round was with MD.

Interview Questions
    • Case studies are the most difficult. Can't really prepare besides a lot of practice   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Applied through campus career services. Received email indicating that would be invited to first round. First had to take a difficult exam to assess problem solving ability. Then two interviews at the McKinsey office in Philadelphia, where we waited with the other candidates. A very intimidating process. I was informed that I would receive a follow up phone call the next week. The interviewers were not very forthcoming with information about the details of the decision making process.

Interview Questions
    • What was one time you overcame a challenge and showed leadership?   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

You get recruited if you're coming from a top-tier institution, and you'll only get an interview after being a top candidate in terms of GPA, accomplishments...etc. There's a terribly long test you have to take before your interview as well. The process was very forced and in general I felt like the people in McKinsey are more type-A and cutthroat compared to the people I've met at comparable consulting firms.

Interview Questions
    • The fit question is very in-depth. They will ask you every little detail about a situation--what did you think? Why did you think that? What would you do differently? Who were the people involved...etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2013.

Used a contact to get in touch with 2-3 BAs before I sent in a resume. Met the recruiter at an info session. After being selected for 1st round, was given a "prep buddy" who was extremely helpful. There is a PST (problem solving test) first. It's tricky, but apparently just another data point. 1st round interview was at the office, which was very nice. Got a great vibe. Both interviewers were very, very pleasant. Standard behavioral + case format. McK does behavioral slightly differently with the PEI--personal experience interview. They dig very deep into your story. Cases were fairly straight-forward. Advanced to the final round and many people reached out offering help/advice. Final round consister of three 1-hr interviews. 1 was with a director, 2 with associate principals. Got an offer 30 minutes later.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Interview with two analysts on campus, then 3 1:1 interviews on site. received notice the day after.

Interview Questions
    there was no opportunity for negotiation

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

A previous exam to access your math and logical skills and a bit of business. Then two pair of interviews with case studies and a personal part where they ask you about specific situation where you have shown some qualities that they want in their employees.Then another 2 interviews with management level consultants where they are trying to figure out if you really the right person and you capability to think out of the box

Interview Questions
    • List all the revenue sources of different types of business under pressure   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2014.

I applied online where I was asked to submit my CV and cover letter. Including some other details. I went through individual interview, problem solving and case study presentation. My case study was on an oil and gas company wanting to start a new business in a new country.