McKinsey & Company

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Summer Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Initially, I had to do a test and there was a pre-interview workshop. Then there were two interviews at the London offices, both involving both a personal experience element and a written case study.

Interview Question – What is the most interesting thing on your CV?   Answer Question

Taipei (Taiwan)

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Sent the resume and cover letter through their website
2. Asked to attend the PST and a small English oral proficiency test (a small and relaxing chat)
3. Asked to attend the "batch day" when most candidates gather in the office to take the case interview.There will be at least 2 case interviews in one round (45 minutes each, will give you abundant time to take a break between interviews)
4. After the round of interview, your interviewer will give you feedback immediately and tell you if you pass the round, if not, you can go home directly... (Cruel!!)
5. If you pass the round, you will be asked to take the next round of interview, same process as above. There will be at least 3 rounds, and I failed in the 2nd round...

Interview Question – Nothing "unexpected", because the expectation is that the interview will be difficult and unexpected. PST and case interviews are just as what they should be like.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – 2 rounds. First round was 2 cases. Both were medium to medium hard difficulty. Got through to the second round. Went through three case interviews, one with an associate, one with a fairly senior member, and one with region director. For the second round they give you an interview buddy to help you practice. Cases have similar structure to their online practice cases, which is different from the style done at BCG where I also interviewed. I personally find the McKinsey ones easier because they provide more structure.

Interview Question – Cases varied in difficulty from medium to hard.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

London, England (UK)

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – First round consisted of 2 one on one interviews at the office. First was competency based and short case, second was a longer case. Very friendly staff.

Final round consisted of 3 interviews + a coffee chat at hotel in the countryside. Interviews included case studies, competency and role playing. Very friendly staff who are eager to make your experience worthwhile.

Definitely made my like the company more.

Interview Question – Business Case: Whether or not a mobile phone distributor should close up all of its brick and mortar stores to make space for ecommerce expansion.   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Applied through campus career services. Received email indicating that would be invited to first round. First had to take a difficult exam to assess problem solving ability. Then two interviews at the McKinsey office in Philadelphia, where we waited with the other candidates. A very intimidating process. I was informed that I would receive a follow up phone call the next week. The interviewers were not very forthcoming with information about the details of the decision making process.

Interview Question – What was one time you overcame a challenge and showed leadership?   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – You get recruited if you're coming from a top-tier institution, and you'll only get an interview after being a top candidate in terms of GPA, accomplishments...etc. There's a terribly long test you have to take before your interview as well. The process was very forced and in general I felt like the people in McKinsey are more type-A and cutthroat compared to the people I've met at comparable consulting firms.

Interview Question – The fit question is very in-depth. They will ask you every little detail about a situation--what did you think? Why did you think that? What would you do differently? Who were the people involved...etc.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2013.

Interview Details – Used a contact to get in touch with 2-3 BAs before I sent in a resume. Met the recruiter at an info session. After being selected for 1st round, was given a "prep buddy" who was extremely helpful. There is a PST (problem solving test) first. It's tricky, but apparently just another data point. 1st round interview was at the office, which was very nice. Got a great vibe. Both interviewers were very, very pleasant. Standard behavioral + case format. McK does behavioral slightly differently with the PEI--personal experience interview. They dig very deep into your story. Cases were fairly straight-forward. Advanced to the final round and many people reached out offering help/advice. Final round consister of three 1-hr interviews. 1 was with a director, 2 with associate principals. Got an offer 30 minutes later.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular stands out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Santiago (Chile)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first step of the process involves a problem solving test sat at the Mckinsey London office. This is a one hour test with just under 30 questions involving qualitative and quantitative reasoning skills. No calculators allowed.

The second step were first round interviews which were two back to back interviews lasting about 45 minutes each with two consultants. The three main components of the interivew were personal experience interview, case study and some time at the end of the interview to ask questions about Mckinsey.

Interview Questions

• Personal experience interview section focuses mainly on one of the four major blocks that Mckinsey are looking for in consultants.   Answer Question
  • Case studies are variable and depends on the interviewers' past experience.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interview with two analysts on campus, then 3 1:1 interviews on site. received notice the day after.

Interview Question – Case about wireless carriers in asia   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no opportunity for negotiation

Business Analyst (Summer) Interview

Business Analyst (Summer)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – Really great experience. Once invited to the McKinsey Challenge, you go in the first night for an informal mixer. The second day you're setup into teams and assigned a case to crack. McKinsey consultants are placed in each team room to both help and evaluate you.

They took us to dinner and curling the second day. Winning team got $750 & a bottle of champagne each.

Interview Question – No formal questions until 2nd round.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!