McKinsey & Company

Updated Jan 26, 2015

4.2

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied online, received first round interview on campus. It consisted of 2 back to back one on one interviews. Each interview had a personal experience (telling a story to answer a personality question) and a case.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

A previous exam to access your math and logical skills and a bit of business. Then two pair of interviews with case studies and a personal part where they ask you about specific situation where you have shown some qualities that they want in their employees.Then another 2 interviews with management level consultants where they are trying to figure out if you really the right person and you capability to think out of the box

Interview Questions
    • List all the revenue sources of different types of business under pressure   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2014.

I applied online where I was asked to submit my CV and cover letter. Including some other details. I went through individual interview, problem solving and case study presentation. My case study was on an oil and gas company wanting to start a new business in a new country.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Went through normal campus recruiting cycle; written test was just like they told us. We all took the test together and everyone felt it was very difficult! One interview on campus and a second round in the office location.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews, nothing out of character; Case in Point was helpful (cliche, but true!)   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate; definitely entering as a cog in the system

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview process was very accommodating and courteous. Fantastic company with a great HR. Passed the phone interview, went to the office for second round. Fit and case interviews with an interviewer. Took the McKinsey test. Fit and case with another interviewer. Final round with MD.

Interview Questions
    • The cases are the most difficult. They can be about anything. Just have to practice and think quickly.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

2 rounds. First round was 2 cases. Both were medium to medium hard difficulty. Got through to the second round. Went through three case interviews, one with an associate, one with a fairly senior member, and one with region director. For the second round they give you an interview buddy to help you practice. Cases have similar structure to their online practice cases, which is different from the style done at BCG where I also interviewed. I personally find the McKinsey ones easier because they provide more structure.

Interview Questions
    • Cases varied in difficulty from medium to hard.   View Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

1. Sent the resume and cover letter through their website
    2. Asked to attend the PST and a small English oral proficiency test (a small and relaxing chat)
    3. Asked to attend the "batch day" when most candidates gather in the office to take the case interview.There will be at least 2 case interviews in one round (45 minutes each, will give you abundant time to take a break between interviews)
    4. After the round of interview, your interviewer will give you feedback immediately and tell you if you pass the round, if not, you can go home directly... (Cruel!!)
    5. If you pass the round, you will be asked to take the next round of interview, same process as above. There will be at least 3 rounds, and I failed in the 2nd round...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing "unexpected", because the expectation is that the interview will be difficult and unexpected. PST and case interviews are just as what they should be like.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Recruiting was very detailed: starting with an elaborate information session with multiple alumni. First round was resume screen with additional standardized testing (kind of like an iq test) second round was interviews with managers and above and final round was with partners. The interviews were mostly case interviews although the interviews with partners can be more flexible

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview questions were expected, but they can chose to reject your for the smallest mistakes.   Answer Question