McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

4.1

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Everyone was very nice. Interview consisted of the test and two case studies. Final round was with MD.

Interview Questions

• Case studies are the most difficult. Can't really prepare besides a lot of practice   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through campus career services. Received email indicating that would be invited to first round. First had to take a difficult exam to assess problem solving ability. Then two interviews at the McKinsey office in Philadelphia, where we waited with the other candidates. A very intimidating process. I was informed that I would receive a follow up phone call the next week. The interviewers were not very forthcoming with information about the details of the decision making process.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you overcame a challenge and showed leadership?   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

You get recruited if you're coming from a top-tier institution, and you'll only get an interview after being a top candidate in terms of GPA, accomplishments...etc. There's a terribly long test you have to take before your interview as well. The process was very forced and in general I felt like the people in McKinsey are more type-A and cutthroat compared to the people I've met at comparable consulting firms.

Interview Questions

• The fit question is very in-depth. They will ask you every little detail about a situation--what did you think? Why did you think that? What would you do differently? Who were the people involved...etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Used a contact to get in touch with 2-3 BAs before I sent in a resume. Met the recruiter at an info session. After being selected for 1st round, was given a "prep buddy" who was extremely helpful. There is a PST (problem solving test) first. It's tricky, but apparently just another data point. 1st round interview was at the office, which was very nice. Got a great vibe. Both interviewers were very, very pleasant. Standard behavioral + case format. McK does behavioral slightly differently with the PEI--personal experience interview. They dig very deep into your story. Cases were fairly straight-forward. Advanced to the final round and many people reached out offering help/advice. Final round consister of three 1-hr interviews. 1 was with a director, 2 with associate principals. Got an offer 30 minutes later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

Interview with two analysts on campus, then 3 1:1 interviews on site. received notice the day after.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was no opportunity for negotiation

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Contrary to what I had read on the website, the 1st interview-stage at the office consists of 3 back-to-back 1-hour interviews, each with a different consultant. All 3 interviews have the same structure, nothing very surprising. The first half is devoted to telling about an experience that demonstrates how much of an "entrepreneur", "leader" or "problem-solver" you are, and the second half is devoted to business case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience that demonstrate how entrepreneurial you are.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied for the position of Summer Business Analyst. The interview process consisted of 2 rounds in which each time 3 interviews were conducted. First round was with less senior people than the second round (where all 3 were partners). As expected a strong focus was put on the case, yet the personal interview questions were equally important in my opinion. Interviewers were very nice and made me feel comfortable right away. Good luck!

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 interviews, 20 min fit and 40 min case. I was told that I failed on count of the fact that my fit was not adequate, my maths was a little slow and I wasn't creative enough with offering a solution - I was too stuck to frameworks. Essentially I had practice far too much in getting the frameworks right and not spent enough time on the other things - when they are not even that important. Useful to just think up logical frameworks.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A previous exam to access your math and logical skills and a bit of business. Then two pair of interviews with case studies and a personal part where they ask you about specific situation where you have shown some qualities that they want in their employees.Then another 2 interviews with management level consultants where they are trying to figure out if you really the right person and you capability to think out of the box

Interview Questions

• List all the revenue sources of different types of business under pressure   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Questions

• There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question