McLean Hospital Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.9

Mental Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at McLean Hospital (Belmont, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an e-mail from the nursing director to schedule an interview the next day. It was a very quick turnaround! I met with her in her office, where she discussed my experience and interest in the position. After I received a tour of the unit from a current mental health specialist. I then I went to the administrative office to talk about pay and look at my references. They followed up with me the following week with an offer.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask me much since I had previous experience but why I wanted to work for Mclean.   Answer Question

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belmont, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McLean Hospital (Belmont, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied through the MGH website, recieved an email that lead to a 1 Hour phone interview with a recruiter, then a 3 hour in person at the lab with the fund manager, PI and two lab assistants. Asked about experiences and laboratory skills
    Took over a month to get back to me, after in person interview

Residence Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McLean Hospital.

Interview

I thought the people in HR were a bit condescending and incredibly difficult to get in contact with. It seems there were only two full-time employees in HR, and one was on a month-long vacation during my hiring process, so the office had come to a stand-still with regard to hiring. Interview/hiring process took forever, as it took about a month to process my CORI form and my references. Would have liked more efficiency!

Negotiation

No negotiation- salary based off an equation for work experience only.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McLean Hospital (Belmont, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

I received an email and follow-up phone call requesting that I come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two faculty and current postdoctoral fellows and conducted a research job talk presentation.

Interview Questions

• Can I explain my absence of publications for a period of time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would advise to do additional research to discover what the salary hiring rate is from NIH for research fellows with an advanced number of years of experience. If you have this information during the negotiation process, you are in a better position to negotiate a higher salary.

Mental Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McLean Hospital (Belmont, MA) in January 2012.

Interview

A representative for whatever part of the hospital wants you contacts you by e-mail or phone to set up an interview. You meet with the head of that program for your interview. The interviewer gives a lot of information about the program and what can be expected in an average day, the types of patients you'll be dealing with, what kinds of opportunities the position has if you are hired into it. You are asked what you can bring to it, why you want to do it, if you know anyone with mental illness, your education, how you would handle unruly patients, violent patients, patients that are asking about your personal life, etc. Expect a lot of "what ifs," and to be able to justify your interest in the position (if you plan to stay in the field, make it clear to your interviewer).

Interview Questions

• Now you know about our program and all the opportunities we can give you. What can you bring to our program?   Answer Question

Community Residence Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McLean Hospital in May 2010.

Interview

Very informal. I was asked many questions about how I would handle various psychiatric interventions. The interviewer seemed to be trying to get a feel of my personality less than my education and experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to define a few psychiatric diagnoses from the DSM-IV4   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was a standard pay that was decided based on experience only, there was no chance for negotiation. The pay was a bit low but fair, especially with the many opportunities for overtime and bonuses.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McLean Hospital.

Interview

Filled out an online application and attached my resume. Was contacted via email to arrange a phone interview about two weeks after submitting resume. The phone interview consisted of normal interview questions, asking about strengths and weaknesses. I was also asked a number of behavioral questions. A week after the interview I was contacted via email to inform me that I had not been offered the position.

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McLean Hospital in July 2012.

Interview

One interview, since got the opportunity through a staffing agency. Interviewed at one time with 2 people- questions were pretty straightforward.
    Process was what took time... background and education check (official transcripts). Pay based on education and nothing to do with experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. The pay rate here is based on education and not experience, which is ridiculous for a position like this.