McLean Hospital

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Community Residence Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at McLean Hospital in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very informal. I was asked many questions about how I would handle various psychiatric interventions. The interviewer seemed to be trying to get a feel of my personality less than my education and experience.

Interview Question – I was asked to define a few psychiatric diagnoses from the DSM-IV4   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was a standard pay that was decided based on experience only, there was no chance for negotiation. The pay was a bit low but fair, especially with the many opportunities for overtime and bonuses.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Belmont, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McLean Hospital in November 2012.

Interview Details – I received an email and follow-up phone call requesting that I come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two faculty and current postdoctoral fellows and conducted a research job talk presentation.

Interview Question – Can I explain my absence of publications for a period of time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would advise to do additional research to discover what the salary hiring rate is from NIH for research fellows with an advanced number of years of experience. If you have this information during the negotiation process, you are in a better position to negotiate a higher salary.

Residence Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McLean Hospital.

Interview Details – I thought the people in HR were a bit condescending and incredibly difficult to get in contact with. It seems there were only two full-time employees in HR, and one was on a month-long vacation during my hiring process, so the office had come to a stand-still with regard to hiring. Interview/hiring process took forever, as it took about a month to process my CORI form and my references. Would have liked more efficiency!

Negotiation Details – No negotiation- salary based off an equation for work experience only.

Mental Health Specialist Interview

Mental Health Specialist
Belmont, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at McLean Hospital in January 2012.

Interview Details – A representative for whatever part of the hospital wants you contacts you by e-mail or phone to set up an interview. You meet with the head of that program for your interview. The interviewer gives a lot of information about the program and what can be expected in an average day, the types of patients you'll be dealing with, what kinds of opportunities the position has if you are hired into it. You are asked what you can bring to it, why you want to do it, if you know anyone with mental illness, your education, how you would handle unruly patients, violent patients, patients that are asking about your personal life, etc. Expect a lot of "what ifs," and to be able to justify your interest in the position (if you plan to stay in the field, make it clear to your interviewer).

Interview Question – Now you know about our program and all the opportunities we can give you. What can you bring to our program?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McLean Hospital in July 2012.

Interview Details – One interview, since got the opportunity through a staffing agency. Interviewed at one time with 2 people- questions were pretty straightforward.
Process was what took time... background and education check (official transcripts). Pay based on education and nothing to do with experience.

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The pay rate here is based on education and not experience, which is ridiculous for a position like this.

Clinical Research Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McLean Hospital.

Interview Details – Filled out an online application and attached my resume. Was contacted via email to arrange a phone interview about two weeks after submitting resume. The phone interview consisted of normal interview questions, asking about strengths and weaknesses. I was also asked a number of behavioral questions. A week after the interview I was contacted via email to inform me that I had not been offered the position.

Interview Question – Describe your research experience.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for McLean Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McLean Hospital interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by McLean Hospital employees and interview candidates.