McMaster-Carr Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.7

Systems Interview

Interview

I had to send an email with my resume. Then they flew me out. There I had several rounds of interviews. Some 1on1 and some panel. Lunch with potential team members. More interviews in the afternoon. It was very standard, nothing unexpected. They asked questions off my resume and other questions on personal hobbies and interests.

Didn't want to move

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at McMaster-Carr in June 2015.

Interview

Incredibly organized and efficient. The recruiter was very polite and extremely helpful throughout the process. First round was a phone screen which consisted mostly of conversation walking through my resume and past experiences. This was followed one day later with an offer to fly out to Chicago for an on-site interview. 9:00am to 2:00pm, 5 one-hour interviews with different employees from different teams across the company. All were extremely impressive and very interesting. Mostly conversational with some brain teasers, and a lot of opportunity to ask questions and show how you think. It was actually a very fun process. You learn as much about them as they learn about you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some projects you worked on at (name of previous employer). Why are you looking to leave your current employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was extremely competitive, so no negotiation was necessary.

Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter found my resume on Indeed.com and contacted me. Then I had a call from the business and had a phone screening interview. It was pretty standard; tell me about yourself, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years, etc. Then A week later I was brought in for an in person interview. They started it with the warehouse tour and then we went into a room and another manager came and interviewed me. It took around 2.5 hours.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Phone screen and then an on site interview that consists of 5 interviews--one of them will be a lunch interview. The phone screen is your basic behavioral interview. You'll get a chance to learn a little more about what they're looking for during the screen. If you are asked back to a second interview, transportation to the office was provided by McMaster-Carr. On the first interview you are taken around the office and the warehouse. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you think of the way things are done here and why do you think they do things the way they do. The rest of the interviews were standard interviews where they ask you to tell them a bit more about yourself and why you are interested in the position. There will be one interview, however, where you'll be tested on your observational/analytical skills. They'll flip to a page in the catalog and ask you questions. Most of the interviewers said they enjoyed working at McMaster-Carr because they are constantly learning. Questions about who is in charge of development and who dictates when you move to another department of McMaster-Carr were left unanswered. The feeling one gets of McMaster-Carr is that it is a generally secretive organization. It is unclear why they are so secretive, but perhaps it is part of the un-flashy McMaster-Carr culture.

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was in a interview day format. 5 back-to-back interviews. Before this day of interviews, there was a phone interview. One of the 5 interviews was a lunch. The other interviews follow after a tour of the place.

Management Interview

Interview

The interview process is definitely unique - which reflects the program. The firm is extremely secretive, so many of my questions actually went unanswered, which was a bit frustrating. I would say that the in-person interview reflects most consulting firm interviews so that's the best way to prepare. There is a pre-screen with a recruiter followed by a full day onsite which is exhaustive, including a lunch interview. It is surrounded by three other 1-1.5 hour interviews. They are extremely prompt. I was overall impressed with their recruiting operations.

General Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Cold call from Linkedin profile followed by quick questions about your resume--followed up by an invite on campus for a full day interview (they seem to prefer Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays).

Interview Questions

• What do you like about your current role? What don't you like?   Answer Question

General Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Typical interview day -starts with a tour of the warehouse, then you meet with 3-4 different individuals. Generally consists of behavioral questions (strengths/weaknesses/etc). Nothing too difficult. Be prepared to make recommendations on the product catalog/website. The company does not expect you to know too much about the industry, but is more interested in problem-solving skills.

Warehouse Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

They found my resume on Career Builder and contacted me via email. After a brief phone interview/screening I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the job location. I was then taken on a tour of the warehouse and operations and the HR rep explained the every day duties and activities. It was more about showing me what the job is really like. Personally I did not like the idea of having to be on my feet all day with these types of tasks. I did not get an offer but probably would have declined even if I did. It's a great company but just not the fit for me at this time.

Interview Questions

• Can you see yourself working here with this type of job?   1 Answer
    • Past work experience and education   Answer Question

"Management" Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

They reached out me via LinkedIn to discuss opportunities and then said it was for "Management" opportunities but never went into detail about which ones. I asked which ones on the phone and they just said "various". She then seemed confused when I didn't have questions about the position(s) as I didn't even know what to ask since I did not even know the position(s) I was interviewing for. They then asked about school GPA (which I thought at this point was irrelevant since it's been 5 years since out of school and they reached out to me they said because of my experience and not school). The company I am sure is great to work for, but their HR Recruiting Coordinators need to have a better understanding of their company to discuss it with candidates as well as the positions they are reaching out about as well as a brief description of responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to do at our company?   1 Answer