McMaster-Carr Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.7

Systems Interview

Interview

I had to send an email with my resume. Then they flew me out. There I had several rounds of interviews. Some 1on1 and some panel. Lunch with potential team members. More interviews in the afternoon. It was very standard, nothing unexpected. They asked questions off my resume and other questions on personal hobbies and interests.

Didn't want to move

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Phone screen and then an on site interview that consists of 5 interviews--one of them will be a lunch interview. The phone screen is your basic behavioral interview. You'll get a chance to learn a little more about what they're looking for during the screen. If you are asked back to a second interview, transportation to the office was provided by McMaster-Carr. On the first interview you are taken around the office and the warehouse. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you think of the way things are done here and why do you think they do things the way they do. The rest of the interviews were standard interviews where they ask you to tell them a bit more about yourself and why you are interested in the position. There will be one interview, however, where you'll be tested on your observational/analytical skills. They'll flip to a page in the catalog and ask you questions.

Most of the interviewers said they enjoyed working at McMaster-Carr because they are constantly learning. Questions about who is in charge of development and who dictates when you move to another department of McMaster-Carr were left unanswered. The feeling one gets of McMaster-Carr is that it is a generally secretive organization. It is unclear why they are so secretive, but perhaps it is part of the un-flashy McMaster-Carr culture.

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was in a interview day format. 5 back-to-back interviews. Before this day of interviews, there was a phone interview. One of the 5 interviews was a lunch. The other interviews follow after a tour of the place.

Management Interview

Interview

The interview process is definitely unique - which reflects the program. The firm is extremely secretive, so many of my questions actually went unanswered, which was a bit frustrating. I would say that the in-person interview reflects most consulting firm interviews so that's the best way to prepare.

There is a pre-screen with a recruiter followed by a full day onsite which is exhaustive, including a lunch interview. It is surrounded by three other 1-1.5 hour interviews. They are extremely prompt. I was overall impressed with their recruiting operations.

General Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Cold call from Linkedin profile followed by quick questions about your resume--followed up by an invite on campus for a full day interview (they seem to prefer Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays).

Interview Questions

• What do you like about your current role? What don't you like?   Answer Question

Warehouse Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

They found my resume on Career Builder and contacted me via email. After a brief phone interview/screening I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the job location. I was then taken on a tour of the warehouse and operations and the HR rep explained the every day duties and activities. It was more about showing me what the job is really like. Personally I did not like the idea of having to be on my feet all day with these types of tasks. I did not get an offer but probably would have declined even if I did. It's a great company but just not the fit for me at this time.

Interview Questions

• Can you see yourself working here with this type of job?   1 Answer
    • Past work experience and education   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with an HR representative from corporate, followed by an invite to the Atlanta facility for an on site interview. Started at 9:00 with a tour of the facility, followed by two interviews with managers. The interview was pretty basic, mostly just elaborating on my resume. I then had lunch with two more junior managers at their on site cafeteria. After a quick out brief with HR I was on my way back to the airport by about 1:00.

Interview Questions

• Every person I talked to asked me what they could do to improve their process. I recommend doing your research on how distribution facilities work so you can try and give an educated answer.   Answer Question

General Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Typical interview day -starts with a tour of the warehouse, then you meet with 3-4 different individuals. Generally consists of behavioral questions (strengths/weaknesses/etc). Nothing too difficult. Be prepared to make recommendations on the product catalog/website. The company does not expect you to know too much about the industry, but is more interested in problem-solving skills.

"Management" Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

They reached out me via LinkedIn to discuss opportunities and then said it was for "Management" opportunities but never went into detail about which ones. I asked which ones on the phone and they just said "various". She then seemed confused when I didn't have questions about the position(s) as I didn't even know what to ask since I did not even know the position(s) I was interviewing for.

They then asked about school GPA (which I thought at this point was irrelevant since it's been 5 years since out of school and they reached out to me they said because of my experience and not school).

The company I am sure is great to work for, but their HR Recruiting Coordinators need to have a better understanding of their company to discuss it with candidates as well as the positions they are reaching out about as well as a brief description of responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to do at our company?   1 Answer

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, had a 30-45 minute phone screen with their HR recruiter, and then was scheduled for an in-person interview. Everyone I met was really nice but I was a little turned off by the utter lack of information that was provided me. I was given directions to the office and told it would take "a few hours". I didn't realize that it would be nearly 5 hours with 5 separate interviews, over lunchtime, with no food or even a snack offered to me.

I enjoyed everyone I talked to but having received no interview schedule in advance I wasn't sure who I was speaking with at any given time or how they would impact my role at all. It kind of just felt like random people kept being presented to me. They asked a fairly even mix of personality and work related questions.

Would have been nice to receive a schedule in advance, maybe a break to eat a granola bar or something. The tour of the facility was cool. The offer was good and I nearly accepted it but ended up getting a better offer. Seems like an ok place to work if you don't mind going to the suburbs. Great benefits.