McMaster-Carr Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.7

Business Operations Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McMaster-Carr.

I was sent an email from a recruiter stating that they saw my résumé online and wanted to speak about the Business Operations Specialist position. I was extremely excited and really wanted to pursue that opportunity! The recruiter was very friendly and professional. The interview lasted for about 20 to 25 mins. The questions were not that difficult. I did very well and the reason for my negative experience is not based on the recruiter.

I feel as if I was discriminated against based on race. I feel that way because I did not hear anything back from McMaster Car until they sent me a Voluntary Disclosure email to be filled out. I filled that out only about a few hours ago and that is when I received a rejection email. I really am disappointed that race plays a factor into hiring qualified candidates. It's a despicable practice and I feel as if the line, "Our company is an equal opportunity employer that complies with the Department of Labor’s guidelines for tracking and reporting recruiting activity......Your response is voluntary and will not impact your application for employment.", is a lie. If it does not matter, why ask in the first place? I feel as if they were reviewing candidates for this position and they sent that out with the intentions of weeding out candidates based on race. I did not appreciate it and I hope that they realize that using that method is not effective or ethical.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving your current employer?   View Answer

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr.

A recruiter called me after finding my resume online. After discussing what I was looking for in a new position, she told me about some opportunities they had available. We then set up an in person interview. I met with two different managers and was then asked back for a second interview to sit with someone in the department to see what the position entailed first hand. A few days later, I was called with an offer for a position that was NOT what I had initially interviewed for. They asked if I would be interested in coming in for a third interview to discuss the position they had offered me. I declined as I was not interested in the position that was being offered at that time.

Warehouse Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at McMaster-Carr in March 2015.

I met with one person who wanted to know what I knew of the company & what I knew about the actual job. Next I did a walk through of the warehouse. The last phase was to meet with one more person.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you dealt with an irate customer & how you made their day better   Answer Question
    • Where do I feel I might fit in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

The interview process was very straightforward and I was kept informed throughout the entire process. I was contacted by a recruiter through my school's career site and thought that this could be a great opportunity. Although the reviews on glassdoor reflected the company negatively, I decided to give it a try. The first round interview was just a simple phone interview. For the second round, they sent me to their LA headquarters/warehouse for a half-day interview. I was very impressed that they offered a car service to pick me up, even though I was local. When I got there, I checked in and they immediately gave me a schedule of the entire day and who I would be interviewing with. One of the management trainees gave me a quick tour of the entire warehouse (which was extremely impressive I have to say) and asked me some questions regarding the functions of the warehouse and why certain mechanisms are in place. After that, I met with a supervisor who was a very detail-oriented and intelligent guy. He showed a great passion for McMaster-Carr and the top quality service that they provide. Next up was my lunch interview. I was not so happy with this portion of the process, as they treat lunch as another interview. At other companies, lunch is supposed to be an opportunity to enjoy yourself, meet people, and ask more questions about the company. This lunch, however, was a case study regarding how to improve significant issues that the company is current facing in their day to day activities. It made it very difficult to enjoy my lunch, let alone eat, when I was working to understand the case study and coming up with a comprehensive solution. The last part of the interview is a meeting with a regional manager who oversees an entire production unit and leads a team. That interview was rather chill and was mostly me talking about myself and how I could tie my previous experience to the work I would be doing at McMaster-Carr. All in all, other than lunch, the interview was a positive experience. All of the senior members of the team I met were very smart. Only thing that I could see McMaster-Carr turning people off is the fact that it's a very risk adverse company that has perfected a service for more than a hundred years. They are looking for new, fresh minds out of college that can help improve that service but there is only so much you can do. In the end, I turned down the offer because I felt like there weren't many growth opportunities outside of the company, as supply and logistics is not my area of interest.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you analyzed something in much detail and how did you go about it?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Warehouse tour, sprinkled with "why do we do it that way" "what do you think of..." , with 2 - hour long 1:1 interviews. Where comfortable shoes as you will be on your feet. Transportation was provided.

Interview Questions
    • Flipped through a catalog "Of these products, how would you go about adding another product, removing one, and present these to management"   Answer Question

Development & Design Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

My interview took place as a campus interview, and then later there was another interview at the office. The campus interview was just one on one and you essentially just talk about your self and expand upon what is on your resume. The on site interview starts off with a tour of the office and then interview with several employees.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr.

I got an email from a recruiter saying that she found me through a search service and like my background and experience. I had a phone interview the following week. The interview went well and they asked me to come up for a tour of the warehouse and a series of in-person interviews. The travel reimbursement was generous and everyone was very nice. The in-person interview day is definitely tiring and lasts 4-5 hours, but you do get a nice change of pace with tours of the warehouse and interviews with different people. The hardest part of the interview process is that it's tough to get a sense for what they're looking for, whether you're giving good or bad answers, and which parts of the process actually count. That's all pretty typical of job interviews, of course, but I found it to be particularly pronounced at McMaster-Carr. They like to move quickly, so if you do get an offer, it'll come within a day or two. If you're still waiting to hear back from them three days later, you most likely didn't get the job. One thing that I did find kind of off-putting is that everyone there seemed extremely self-important. Taking yourself and your work seriously can be a good thing. But that's not the same as being overly self-important, which is kind of annoying.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in working at McMaster-Carr?   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Indeed, and we set up a time for a phone interview the following day. During the call, it became apparent that my career objectives were not aligned with the position's responsibilities, so I declined the opportunity to move forward in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Basic phone screen asking about your career objectives, what interests you in McMaster Carr, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2015.

I applied through campus career office, they contacted me and we set up an interview, the interview went well, but i still wasn't sure what exactly it was that they did. my overall experience was positive.

Development and Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I was offered an interview at a university career fair, and I met the recruiter at a cafe on-campus the following morning. The interview was painless, and the person who interviewed me was friendly and easy to talk to. She asked me common questions regarding my resume and past experiences; no technical questions. The interview lasted for less than hour. I sent a thank you email to her personally (she provided me with her contact information) but did not get a direct response from her. A week after the interview, a recruiting coordinator asked me to fill out paperwork. I sent it in that night, and the next morning, I received a copy-and-pasted rejection email from the same recruiting coordinator. This all happened within 8 days.