McMaster-Carr Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.7

Business Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL).

Interview

phone interview, then in person interview, tour of the facility, One on one interview, then group interview with a manager, a staff member, and a recruiter. Sit down with a staff member to see the type of work you will be doing

Account Manager, Accounts Receivable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

It was a 3 part interview where I had three consecutive interviews with a department manager, the regional manager, and then the CFO. It likely would've taken a full half day, but I had only allotted about 3 hours for the interview, so I had to rush through the last part of it.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me how the items in our catalog are ordered?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in August 2015.

Interview

McMaster-Carr contacted me via email through my profile on indeed and asked if I would be interested in a general management position with the company. Through email correspondence, we then set up a date and time to discuss over the phone my resume and perform a phone screening on me.

Interview Questions

• Describe your time at your last position and what you accomplished.   Answer Question

Systems Interview

Interview

I had to send an email with my resume. Then they flew me out. There I had several rounds of interviews. Some 1on1 and some panel. Lunch with potential team members. More interviews in the afternoon. It was very standard, nothing unexpected. They asked questions off my resume and other questions on personal hobbies and interests.

Didn't want to move

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in June 2015.

Interview

Incredibly organized and efficient. The recruiter was very polite and extremely helpful throughout the process. First round was a phone screen which consisted mostly of conversation walking through my resume and past experiences. This was followed one day later with an offer to fly out to Chicago for an on-site interview. 9:00am to 2:00pm, 5 one-hour interviews with different employees from different teams across the company. All were extremely impressive and very interesting. Mostly conversational with some brain teasers, and a lot of opportunity to ask questions and show how you think. It was actually a very fun process. You learn as much about them as they learn about you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some projects you worked on at (name of previous employer). Why are you looking to leave your current employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was extremely competitive, so no negotiation was necessary.

Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter found my resume on Indeed.com and contacted me. Then I had a call from the business and had a phone screening interview. It was pretty standard; tell me about yourself, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years, etc. Then A week later I was brought in for an in person interview. They started it with the warehouse tour and then we went into a room and another manager came and interviewed me. It took around 2.5 hours.

Business Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in May 2015.

Interview

Received email request to discuss future possibilities with the company. Finally answered the phone for them and had a very weird phone interview. Set up for an interview 2 days later. Interview was a warehouse tour and a floor tour of the "office" with a recruiter; departments such as phone contact center, text contact center, finance, product help, preferences, customer information, order, delivery, large dollar, etc. were all in on large office set up in what looked like hives. Someone from upper management came in and gave a 5 minute interview; a lot of questions about who I am.

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer
    • why do you think we do things this way   1 Answer
    • why do you think our office is setup this way   1 Answer

Negotiation

You get what you get. Offer was good and when you think about the benefits; full medical and dental with out a premium it is wonderful. So is the life insurance and the companies maximum allowable contribution to a 401k like plan.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Phone screen and then an on site interview that consists of 5 interviews--one of them will be a lunch interview. The phone screen is your basic behavioral interview. You'll get a chance to learn a little more about what they're looking for during the screen. If you are asked back to a second interview, transportation to the office was provided by McMaster-Carr. On the first interview you are taken around the office and the warehouse. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you think of the way things are done here and why do you think they do things the way they do. The rest of the interviews were standard interviews where they ask you to tell them a bit more about yourself and why you are interested in the position. There will be one interview, however, where you'll be tested on your observational/analytical skills. They'll flip to a page in the catalog and ask you questions. Most of the interviewers said they enjoyed working at McMaster-Carr because they are constantly learning. Questions about who is in charge of development and who dictates when you move to another department of McMaster-Carr were left unanswered. The feeling one gets of McMaster-Carr is that it is a generally secretive organization. It is unclear why they are so secretive, but perhaps it is part of the un-flashy McMaster-Carr culture.

Interview Questions

• Q: Where do you think you'll be in 5-10 years?   1 Answer

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was in a interview day format. 5 back-to-back interviews. Before this day of interviews, there was a phone interview. One of the 5 interviews was a lunch. The other interviews follow after a tour of the place.

Management Interview

Interview

The interview process is definitely unique - which reflects the program. The firm is extremely secretive, so many of my questions actually went unanswered, which was a bit frustrating. I would say that the in-person interview reflects most consulting firm interviews so that's the best way to prepare. There is a pre-screen with a recruiter followed by a full day onsite which is exhaustive, including a lunch interview. It is surrounded by three other 1-1.5 hour interviews. They are extremely prompt. I was overall impressed with their recruiting operations.