McMaster-Carr

Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Development Program Interview

Management Development Program
Elmhurst, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McMaster-Carr in January 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me as I just got my MBA from a Top 5 business school and my resume is posted to my school's database. I asked her for a job description, but she didn't have one (kinda strange, no?). We had a phone conversation a few days later where she told me a little bit about the company and position and asked what I was looking for. Then, we went through my resume in detail for about 30 minutes. She said she'd get back to me in about a week.

Two days later the recruiter called me to schedule an in-person interview with the team. The company doesn't give out who you are meeting with before you arrive and it's hard to find information on it in general (they do this on purpose). I was to arrive at the location at 8:30am to fill out paperwork for 30 minutes. Then, I had a 90 minute tour of the whole facility including the warehouse - they basically take you on the path an order takes when it arrives through when it goes to the customer. Then, I had two 45 minute 1:1 interviews with various employees. Then, a 90 minute lunch followed by another 45 minute 1:1 interview. The recruiter said she'd get back to me within about a week. I was contacted a little over a week later via email saying I did not get the position.

You are encouraged to ask questions during the whole process. The people that interviewed me were smart and had strong educational backgrounds, but I clicked with some and less with others (ie one of them asked if I was an athlete in college b/c of my major - rude).

Interview Question – None of the interview qusetions were hard and you don't really need to prepare other than knowing your resume and being able to talk to projects you've worked on.   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

Management Development Program
Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at McMaster-Carr in October 2011.

Interview Details – I found out about the position through a poster distributed by my college's Career Development Office. I applied by the deadline with a resume and cover letter (I do not remember if the cover letter was required). They contacted me via email and we scheduled an interview. For the first 20 minutes or so the HR representative told me about the position and the work. I decided from our conversation that I wasn't actually interested in the position. I was looking for a more energetic, engaging workplace and I did not get the impression that was what they had from her descriptions.

Interview Question – How did you choose your college?   Answer Question

Worked for McMaster-Carr? Contribute to the Community!