McMaster-Carr Management Development Program Interview Questions

2.8

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

On campus interview. One interviewer who asked mostly behavioral questions. After first round, the second round involves multiple interviews on site with managers who also came through the program along with a lunch interview and a tour of the facility. Heard back between 1-2 weeks. People were really nice and helpful along the process. If you're interested in applying to locations outside of your current location, this is a possibility. They are dedicated to helping you find the best fit for your career, therefore they offer good benefits as well, such as tuition reimbursement for grad school.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time which you made a decision and it was the wrong decision. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I first applied through my school's career center. After submitting my resume, I was contacted by a recruiter for a short 30-minute on-campus interview. All of the questions were behavioral and seemed to be aimed at getting a feel for what kind of person you are. I believe they focus heavily on finding analytical and conscientious candidates. I was told it would be a week for follow-up, but within two days I received a call that they would like to fly me to whichever office I preferred for a final round of interviews. I scheduled an interview in their Chicago area office. Flight and hotel were all paid for and easily managed. It was a seamless process. My 2nd round of interviews consisted of a tour of the facilities and 3 behavioral interviews and lunch with a current MDP. All of the people that I spoke with were great and the company culture was great. So many people there were kind-hearted and simply enjoyable to be around. Regardless of whether I receive an offer or not (though I hope that I do) I am genuinely so grateful that I had the opportunity to meet the people that I did.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was very difficult to answer, though as others have stated, they do ask you to compare their book to Uline's. My only advice is to pick up on the subtleties.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me as I just got my MBA from a Top 5 business school and my resume is posted to my school's database. I asked her for a job description, but she didn't have one (kinda strange, no?). We had a phone conversation a few days later where she told me a little bit about the company and position and asked what I was looking for. Then, we went through my resume in detail for about 30 minutes. She said she'd get back to me in about a week. Two days later the recruiter called me to schedule an in-person interview with the team. The company doesn't give out who you are meeting with before you arrive and it's hard to find information on it in general (they do this on purpose). I was to arrive at the location at 8:30am to fill out paperwork for 30 minutes. Then, I had a 90 minute tour of the whole facility including the warehouse - they basically take you on the path an order takes when it arrives through when it goes to the customer. Then, I had two 45 minute 1:1 interviews with various employees. Then, a 90 minute lunch followed by another 45 minute 1:1 interview. The recruiter said she'd get back to me within about a week. I was contacted a little over a week later via email saying I did not get the position. You are encouraged to ask questions during the whole process. The people that interviewed me were smart and had strong educational backgrounds, but I clicked with some and less with others (ie one of them asked if I was an athlete in college b/c of my major - rude).

Interview Questions

• None of the interview qusetions were hard and you don't really need to prepare other than knowing your resume and being able to talk to projects you've worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

I found out about the position through a poster distributed by my college's Career Development Office. I applied by the deadline with a resume and cover letter (I do not remember if the cover letter was required). They contacted me via email and we scheduled an interview. For the first 20 minutes or so the HR representative told me about the position and the work. I decided from our conversation that I wasn't actually interested in the position. I was looking for a more energetic, engaging workplace and I did not get the impression that was what they had from her descriptions.