McMaster-Carr

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.8

Management Trainee Interview

Warehouse tour, sprinkled with "why do we do it that way" "what do you think of..." , with 2 - hour long 1:1 interviews. Where comfortable shoes as you will be on your feet. Transportation was provided.

Interview Questions
  • Flipped through a catalog "Of these products, how would you go about adding another product, removing one, and present these to management"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr.

I got an email from a recruiter saying that she found me through a search service and like my background and experience. I had a phone interview the following week. The interview went well and they asked me to come up for a tour of the warehouse and a series of in-person interviews. The travel reimbursement was generous and everyone was very nice. The in-person interview day is definitely tiring and lasts 4-5 hours, but you do get a nice change of pace with tours of the warehouse and interviews with different people. The hardest part of the interview process is that it's tough to get a sense for what they're looking for, whether you're giving good or bad answers, and which parts of the process actually count. That's all pretty typical of job interviews, of course, but I found it to be particularly pronounced at McMaster-Carr. They like to move quickly, so if you do get an offer, it'll come within a day or two. If you're still waiting to hear back from them three days later, you most likely didn't get the job. One thing that I did find kind of off-putting is that everyone there seemed extremely self-important. Taking yourself and your work seriously can be a good thing. But that's not the same as being overly self-important, which is kind of annoying.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in working at McMaster-Carr?   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Indeed, and we set up a time for a phone interview the following day. During the call, it became apparent that my career objectives were not aligned with the position's responsibilities, so I declined the opportunity to move forward in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Basic phone screen asking about your career objectives, what interests you in McMaster Carr, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2015.

I applied through campus career office, they contacted me and we set up an interview, the interview went well, but i still wasn't sure what exactly it was that they did. my overall experience was positive.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr.

1st round on campus was easy - basically a Q&A session. I got invited for 2nd round and asked to pick an office. They put me in a nice hotel and paid for my flights, had an SUV pick me up, and gave me a flat rate reimbursement. When I got there, I was given a tour with "quizzes" at each pitstop. Unfortunately, these were the only good parts of the interview process.
    Then, came three one-on-one interviews. First was with a manager who didn't seem like he wanted to be there and was rude. I asked how to best prepare for the role as an undergrad (since most of the management trainees that I met there had 3-5 years of experience before coming here) and he replied "What do you think?". I was surprised at the briskness and before I could answer, he answered his phone, left in the middle of the interview and never came back.
    Most employees didn't seem happy working there and I got a feeling that their paychecks were the only thing that motivated them, so I was relieved when I received the rejection email days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you take this position over more prestigious roles in the consulting industry?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Found me on Indeed after I posted a resume. Interview process was conducted through two phone interviews followed by being told I would hear back within 7-10 days whether they wanted an in person interview. I heard back the next day they wanted an in person interview. In person interview was a typical interview process with 5 seperate 1-hour interviews. One was a lunch with two current management trainees.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was the Sales representative. She had industry specific and hardware specific questions that you would expect someone with a Sales or Marketing background to know.   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

recruiter contacted me. interview process was weird, seeing as how my interviewer wanted me to solve a case study even though i mentioned specifically before i wasn't interested in management consulting.

Management Trainee Interview

I first had a phone interview and then was invited to come to the warehouse for a full interview day. The day started off with a tour of the warehouse during which the person leading the tour asked a few questions, e.g. Why do you think we station our best people at this part of the warehouse, How do you think we organize the warehouse. Next was a one-on-one interview with a manager there. He mostly asked questions about my resume and goals. He didn't seem too pleased to have to be interviewing me - showed up 10 minutes late, ended the interview 20 minutes early, and definitely had an attitude and generally gave off the impression that he didn't think I was worthy of the job right from the get-go. Next I was taken for an "informal lunch" in the cafeteria by two younger managers who were nice and seemed genuine - probably got the best information about what it was like to work there out of them. The day then ended with another interview by a manager there. It was incredibly strained, and he didn't really seem to have any questions for me at all. He asked me what I didn't like about their catalogue and how I saw myself changing McMaster-Carr - strange questions that I didn't really know how to answer given that I had been there all of 3 hours. Beyond that we just talked about my undergraduate senior thesis.

Interview Questions
    • If someone in your department said they had to leave to take in the middle of a shift, how would you respond?   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Applied through campus recruiting. Had a 30-minute on-campus interview that was a very standard behavior interview. Was called back for a four-hour interview at the nearby office. The in-office interview was kind of strange - I was started off with a tour of the office and warehouse which was periodically interrupted by "quiz questions" from my tour guide. For example, she would explain a business practice that the company uses, and then immediately ask "Why do you think we do it this way?" The questions were not very difficult if you have a basic knowledge of business/warehousing/their industry. I even got one wrong but she seemed not to mind very much.

The rest of the time (~3 hours) was spent in a series of one-on-one interviews. I don't remember much about those interviews specifically other than that most people I met seemed very quiet and introverted. I don't remember any surprises or particularly difficult questions.

I was emailed the next day with an offer for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think we set metrics for all of our customer services staff?
      Why do you think we don't use traditional marketing?
      What happens if a single order needs to be filled from different areas of the warehouse?

Answer Question

The pay and benefits are truly ridiculous and made the job very attractive even though it seems somewhat boring. I ultimately turned it down for a lower-paying offer in a more exciting company and industry.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McMaster-Carr in November 2014.

HR representative contacted me via my university's career center and asked me if I'd be interested in learning more about job opportunities with them. After a brief phone conversation I was invited for final round interviews at one of their offices. This included four 30 min interviews, a tour, and lunch. Everyone was very nice. They asked behavioral questions.