McMaster-Carr

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Aurora, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McMaster-Carr in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with four people for 30 minutes each. A variety of managers from different areas of the warehouse. The interview was relaxing for the most part. Found it interesting that McMaster stays under the radar for the most part, doesn't advertise, etc, but then walks everyone through the warehouse and shows them the operation, even if they may not be hired!

Interview Question – Nothing comes to mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, as I was anxious to get away from my previous employer.

Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2013.

Interview Details – I felt like I was led on. Some recruiter randomly called me from a company I've never heard about, which should have been a big RED FLAG ALERT! ...or at least a sign for concern. The recruiter then gave me a 15min phone interview and scheduled me for an in person interview. I was never told what position they had in mind for me or any kind of description about the position RED FLAG #2!! The recruiter also mentioned if I was OK with NOT ADVANCING OR PURSUING A MANAGEMENT CAREER because basically there is no room for advancing...RED FLAG #3!! However, the recruiter did assure me that they offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits compared to my previous employers. So I agreed and continued with the process despite having my doubts (the 3 red flags I Ignored).

After they lured me into their trap with that phone interview, I did some research on McMaster-Carr and read all those very negative, similar, and repetitive reviews and I STILL DECIDED TO GO TO THAT INTERVIEW!!!

The interview was normal, I interviewed with the hiring manager and possible future boss and he liked everything I had to say and I liked everything he had to say.... And then ONCE AGAIN!, the manager mentioned the whole thing about NOT ADVANCING OR MOVING UP...RED FLAG #4!!!! So I kept hitting road blocks with that and I just to shake them off and lie to them and tell them that I was aware of it and I was willing to put it on hold for an opportunity with McMaster-Carr. Yeah right, who in their right mind with a college degree doesn't want to advance!? However, the hiring manager loved my 14 year experience and kept telling me I was a great fit and with my experience he could fit me into many of his departments and that he was ready to have me work for him. So it seemed I had it nailed and he just needed to make his offer and we were done. Then he asked me if I had time to stick around and talk to someone else who was going to ask me the same repetitive questions that i was being asked since the phone interview.

Next, I interviewed with whom I believe to be the HR manager and of course she started asking me the same questions that the hiring manager asked me which were the same questions the recruiter asked me. By this time I was like... just make your offer, give me the job, and stop stalling. And then...of course!!! she pops the same question about NOT ADVANCING OR PURSUING A MANAGEMENT CAREER!!! By this time I was like forget the red flags I should have never come here and after that all I heard was blah blah blah. When the HR manager asked that question again I knew where this interview was going and what were their intentions since the moment the recruiter contacted me. SO WHY CALL ME?? WHY INTERVIEW ME???? The entire process was a waste of time since they knew what they were going to do with me before they started the process. I was used to fill their senseless job pool of candidates. Most likely I was used to help their managers gain experience in the hiring process. THAT'S JUST WRONG!

A week later I received their rejection letter in the mail. The letter finally stated the name of the position they had in mind for me since they never mentioned it. They also thanked me for my interest in McMaster-Carr... wait a minute....they called me at my house, my cell, talked to my sister and sent me an e-mail.....THE INTEREST WAS THEIRS!!! All I did was follow up on a job offer.

I don't pretend to be an expert on hiring candidates or a management expert, but; I feel like their hiring process and tactics were misleading.

Interview Question – Which of your previous jobs did you enjoy the least?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by e-mail from their HR dept, they said they found my resume online and wanted to schedule an initial 30 min phone interview. The phone interview was a basic get to know you and some questions about the resume. Two days later got another phone call asking me to come in for 1:1 interviews. As I had read the reviews on this site I felt fairly prepared. I arrived and was asked to fill out an application and this is where I made a major mistake; as with most applications it asks if you can legally work in the US etc. however, most applications ask if you are OVER 18 years old, McMaster Carr's application asks if you are UNDER 18. I didn't realize it until meeting with the first interviewer and she asked me if I was sure I was under 18. I feel this is a big key for them as they are all about attention to detail and this is one of the ways they check. I had four 1:1 interviews and all told I was there for about four hours. The interviews were all behavioral and fairly basic questions, the interviewers were all pleasant and professional. At the end I was told I would be hearing from them one way or another within a week. Two weeks later I received the "thanks but no thanks" letter in the mail.

Advice? Tough call...obviously research them, they will ask what you know about them. I feel the number one thing they are looking for is whether or not you fit into "the McMaster Carr culture". If possible, find someone who is currently working there and pick their brain on their interview experience.

Interview Question – How will you deal with the mundane, repetitive nature of the position?   Answer Question

Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at McMaster-Carr in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by McMaster Carr and had a phone screeing almost immediately. Following the phone interview I was asked to interview in person. It was a series of 1:1 interviews with four different HR representatives (all women.) They mentioned they had very high standards and that it was very competitive. I had 10 years of supervisory experience and they brought me in to interview for a warehouse worker position. If I would have taken it more seriously I probably would have been hired. i probable would have loved it too. They don't tell you the ALL of the benefits upfront like 100% of tuition is covered by the company - bachelors, masters, etc. ALL of the health insurance is covered by the company - nothing out-of-pocket. That alone would have sold me...but I digress.

Interview Questions

• (after the plant tour) What position could you see yourself doing out on the floor and why?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you did not meet your goal or deadline?   Answer Question

Worked for McMaster-Carr? Contribute to the Community!