McMaster University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.5

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McMaster University.

Mostly behavioural and motivational questions, asked about previous experience and career goals

Sponsorship & Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at McMaster University in November 2013.

Initial communication was made via my MBA program's job posting site; only one interview was scheduled, conducted by the Director of Sponsorships, the outgoing Coordinator and another member of the department administration. Culture was very informal and the environment was very transparent; immediately put me at ease during the process.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McMaster University.

Fairly routine interview process. And it didn't take too long.

Interview Questions
    • As always, "recount a time when you were faced with challenges and how did you solve the problem."   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McMaster University.

every one who gets an offer for a graduate studies in mcmaster will automatically be consider for a TA position. To get admitted for a graduate program, you have to have at least a B+ average on your bachelor degree and if you are not from canada you have to have TOEFL exam. So there is no interview per sa.

Interview Questions
    • they may call and ask you some technical questions about your field   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Email the professors you want to work for. If you are lucky, one or more professors would like to hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can work for me since you do not have any specific expertise in my field?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at McMaster University in August 2012.

Applied online through school portal, behavioral interview with 2 people, and then activity. My interviewees were very nice and comfortable to talk to. Casual conversation style and feedback from interviewees when answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you faced a problem. How did you demonstrate leadership and what did you do to solve the problem?   Answer Question

Data Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McMaster University in April 2012.

McMaster posts it's jobs online on the school website, but if you know someone that already works in one of the offices, you can also get a job through referrals. McMaster does that a lot, I find - asking people who are already staff if they know anyone that would fit a role.

This is my third position at Mac, however (I love it so much I don't want to leave), and the first position I got was through the website and I had to go through an interview process. The interview was very straightforward and asked me the typical questions you would expect in an interview (strengths, weaknesses, biggest challenges faced in previous workplaces, etc.) I then recieved an e-mail about a week later with an offer for the position.

My most recent position used an online HR software that required me to set up an account. It had my offer of employment, and several pertinent forms I had to fill out and bring with me on my first day on the job.

Interview Questions
    • The typical question they ask about what your personal weaknesses are...I always have trouble answering that one.   Answer Question

Floor Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at McMaster University in April 2011.

Email submission

Instructional Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at McMaster University in April 2011.

I was contacted by e-mail thanking me for my interest in the position and inviting me for an interview seven days from the date of the e-mail. I was to design an activity or assignment based on a presentation attached to the e-mail. The day of the interview I was greeted by the Department's secretary who showed me the original job posting . In the interview room were two professors, the instructional assistant manager, and the Department Chair as well as the secretary. They each took turns at interviewing me. Some of the questions asked were:
    -what is your 5 year plan
    -why this job
    -I had to explain the rationale behind the assignment I designed
    -situational questions

Interview Questions
    • In the assignment I had designed there was an alternative answer I had not considered. I took me by surprise.   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at McMaster University in January 2011.

I 've been interviewed by one the post doc students in the optimization lab. It was straight forward and asked about ehat I did in my master's thesis.

Interview Questions

Worked for McMaster University? Contribute to the Community!