MedStar Health

Updated Jun 16, 2014
Updated Jun 16, 2014

2.5

Customer Accounts Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MedStar Health.

Applied online on their website, received call from recruiter for 1:1 interview, scheduled for 2 days later, met with manager of the department and someone that would be a co-worker. They first discussed the background of the company, then the position, then proceeded to ask me several questions and took notes upon my answers. After completing that, they asked if I had any questions, described the benefits and stated they would get back to me quickly.

Interview Questions
    • - Strengths and weaknesses
      - How you handle an irate customer
      - What systems you have experience with
      - Hour availability
      - Do you have call center experience
      VERY simple and expected questions. Great group of people and a casual interview.

No offer yet... Its only been 4 hours! :)
        Answer Question

Applications Analyst III Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MedStar Health.

Smooth process

Not negotiable

Full Time Registered Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MedStar Health.

Had a phone interview with a staff member. Then I came in and met the Director and then was interviewed by a committee who had several questions prepared for me. The entire process took about 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about the last conflict that you had with a physician and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MedStar Health.

The process was painfully slow and left a negative impression. The initial interview was scheduled (interviewed with the hiring manager and 2 other associates). I left feeling great and excited about the position. About two months went by and I assumed another candidate was hired, however, I was unexpectedly brought in for a 2nd interview to meet with the hiring managers's boss. She not only arrived 25 minutes late, with no explanation, but her tone was cold, dry, and discouraging. Although the hiring manager had been pleasant and encouraging, her boss left me feeling like the corporate environment was unwelcoming and rigid, not to mention the lack of work-life balance. Although I thought my hospital background would benefit and bring much needed insight to the corporate environment, she essentially told me that hospital associates do not work out well in the corporate environment. My interest level dropped significantly. Months went by again before I heard another word. Another candidate was hired... I wish them well. I will never interview for another MedStar corporate position again. It was an experience... but not a good one.

Interview Questions
    • How will you make decisions when there is not a concensus?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online – interviewed at MedStar Health in January 2013.

Take a long time to get an interview

Interview Questions

Low morale in the workplace

Strategic Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MedStar Health in July 2011.

Applied online and was emailed within 24hrs and asked to come for 1:1 interview the next day. Initial interview was with hiring manager (Strategic Planning Manger) and was relatively informal and friendly, approx. 90 mins, including a lot of 2 way information sharing (i.e. she was keen to tell me all about the company and working arrangements too). She decided in front of me to make me the last of 3 candidates to come back for second round interviews.

Second round interviews took place about 10 days later. Consisted of 3 separate interviews of 45-60mins each:
    1) Market Research Manager
    2) Business Developemnt Manager
    3) Two analysts, who would be my co-workers

Everyone was very friendly and professional. All 3 senior managers genuinely seemed to enjoy working there and had been there for aout 5 years each. Interviews consisted of many typical questions ("what can you bring to the company?", "what are your strengths" etc) but also fairly honest accounts of work ethic and environment. Employee comments included:
    -Good work-life balance. 8:30-5 is typical. Not usually expected to work overtime. Good paid leave allowance.
    -Almost everyone has own office. Good for getting work done but quite isolated.
    -Very hierarchical structure. Analyst reports to one manager who may then take work up the chain. Analyst may never see work again, or receive acknowledgement or credit, or be involved in more senior meetings.
    -Most work is done independently rather than team oriented. Most co-worker relationships developed informally i.e. work lunches etc rather than during office hours.

Corridors were immaculate and offices were large. Whole place was VERY quiet. Seemed a good environment if you like sitting still and getting on with your own work, but not overly social or collaborative.

It should be noted that Medstar is a large corporation and that departments are organised and run very differently.

Best advice if going into similar format is to take notes with you and/or a list of questions to ask each interviewer. I was tired by the end of the third interview and had clearly run out of questions and extra things to say which probably made me look a little disorganised. At the end of the 3 second round interviews I was then met in the corridor by the original hiring manager who asked me what I thought, what stood out, and if I had any more questions. I was not expecting this and could have been better prepared for that, too! :-(

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you can bring to Medstar?   Answer Question
    • Your background is in science, and this job isn't, so why do you want this job?   Answer Question
    • What 3 words would your colleagues best use to describe you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a positive work experience or environment from you past and what you liked best about it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a negative work experience or ornironment from you past and what was bad about it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MedStar Health in October 2010.

Two interviews. The first with HR rep. The next was with the entire department I was hired in to. Mostly behavioral questions, asking about specific situations and tasks.

Interview Questions
    • nothing really. Very situation specific and asking about my experience   Answer Question

Performance Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MedStar Health in October 2009.

One-on-one interview with department head. Then group interview with department head and chief medical officer. Next an interview with entire group with whom I'd be working. (six people). There were technical questions, behavioral questions, limited small talk. Question were geared toward how I might make decisions; if I would defend departmental decisions; willingness to represent the department in physician/leadership forums.

Interview Questions
    • What gives you an advantage over all other applicants for this job?   View Answer
    Negotiation was limited to a company policy of 10% salary increase ceiling. They were will willing to hear my reasons for asking for the full 10%.

Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MedStar Health in July 2009.

online application. was called and went in for 1:1 interview. drug test. background review. they called with offer

accepted the offer

Patient Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MedStar Health in January 2009.

I came through a recruiter initially 7 years ago, I was promoted within the departmental area as I showed promise and previous experience. From the first position, I always had to interview with 3 or 4 individuals (separately, for example, Administrator, Manager and Physician).

Interview Questions
    • We're a busy place, how do you deal with overwhelming situations and how do you deal with customers with difficulty behaviors?   Answer Question
    Recruiter negotiated first position, Manager negotiated higher rate for future positions.