Medallia

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in July 2014.

Interview Details – I first applied online but did not hear a response. I was only contacted two months later after I was referred by an employee.

1. HR Interview
As soon I was referred, I was contacted by HR to schedule an interview. The interview focused a lot on your past experiences and your intentions on applying to Medallia and to the specific position. Make sure you know the company and its product well, and try to articulate why your past experiences and skills would make you a good fit for this position. The interviewer was super nice and enthusiastic, very informational and very helpful. Didn't feel like an interview at all, it was very conversational. He got back to me for a follow-up interview almost immediately after, on the same day.

2. Analyst Interview
This was a one hour interview with a current analyst. Again, the interviewer was super conversational and a really nice person to talk to! We talked again about my past experiences and what the position entailed. The last 30 minutes was reserved for brain teasers. This was by far the most difficult part of the interview. The interviewer was so pleasant and sweet that I didn't feel too nervous or uncomfortable in answering the brain teasers. The first two questions had a definite answer and the last two questions, were open-ended questions which were intended to evaluate the thought process of the candidate while solving a problem. My advice is to definitely read up on brain teasers on this page and also just general ones you can find on the internet. Either way, the interviewer will definitely guide you through it, so relax and do the best you can! Medallia got back to me almost immediately - I completed my interview in the late afternoon and I was told that I would be proceeding to the challenge stage the morning after.

3. Challenge
We were given a spec and excel challenge to be completed within 24 hours. A 30 minute phone call was scheduled with a current analyst to answer all the questions you may have regarding the challenge. Again, the analyst I spoke to was super chill and helpful! I wouldn't say that the spec and the excel challenge were particularly difficult, but you have to be able to work with a variety of excel formulas and functions. Make sure you know the if functions, vlookup, ifaverage, sum functions, iferrors and etc.

I was told the morning after I submitted my challenge that I will not be proceeding to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Which is the best way to estimate the population of a 12 story building? The number of parking lots, the capacity of the cafeteria or the population of the fourth floor? Why?   Answer Question
  • You have an organism in a petri dish that splits into two every minute. This organism begins to multiply at noon. What time is the petri dish half full?   Answer Question
  • You are a mayor of a NYC. Describe how you would raise $10 million dollars in tax revenues.   Answer Question

Client Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Medallia in April 2014.

Interview Details – I met with the Medallia team at a college recruiting event. They spent two hours telling everyone what a great place it is, that they have a "no jerks" policy and they have all you can eat avocados at the office. They all seemed to be decent people with a lot of passion for the company.
They took my resume and, since I knew somebody who works for Medallia, I was scheduled for a phone interview right there.
The phone interview took 10 minutes, in which the interviewer did not ask me a single question. She read my resume to me and said "bye", then hung up. I was very frustrated because I felt like I would be a good fit at Medallia, and that I was not even given a chance to talk about it.
I sent two or three follow up emails to the person who interviewed me and I got no response. I found it rude, very disrespectful and a awful display of the company.
Two months after I forgot about this experience, I got a generic email saying that they are not moving forward with me. Thus, I felt that it is my duty to share my terrible experience with this company. I think it is more "jerks only" policy, as opposed to what they are preaching.

Interview Question – I never got asked a question   View Answer

Jul 1, 2014

We seriously messed up here. While this won't do much to fix what's already happened, I'm terribly sorry to hear that your experience was so negative. It is most definitely not standard procedure for ... More

Client Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in April 2014.

Interview Details – I talked to a campus recruiter and gave her my resume. It was very pleasant and she told me all about Medallia, which sounds like a great place to work for and solves interesting problems. I was told that I would be getting a phone interview soon.
I got the phone interview in about a week; the interview consists of going through my resume and some brain teasers. Also the interviewer asked some questions about problems you may face at work and how I would handle the situations.
I was passed on to the Challenge round where I need to complete a two part challenge within 24 hrs as many have mentioned. It requires skills in excel and statistics.
Sadly I did not do well on the Challenge; I was contacted a week after that they are not interested in further interviews.

Interview Question – How would you design a parachute for a blind or deaf person?   Answer Question

Jul 1, 2014

Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear our campus team left a good impression, but sorry to hear the challege did not turn out as hoped. Good luck with everything in your future, and if you'd like to ... More

Client Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Medallia.

Interview Details – Found out about Medallia at my school's career fair, Attended an orientation later in the day,
Was invited for an interview on-campus, Moved onto the Challenge round but sadly didn't get move onto the next round

The Medallia team is AMAZING. From the very beginning to the end of my interview process, I didn't have a single day when I didn't look forward to speaking with a Medallia member. The Challenge took longer than I'd expected and was definitely challenging, but overall, I learned so much from the process. Each Medallian will make sure that you have a positive experience and will even give you advice on how to be a stronger candidate. They don't hesitate to help you and make sure you can do your very best.

Though I didn't get this role this time around, I'd love to try to be a Medallian again in the future, because I was really impressed with the recruiting process and all the team members I had the chance to interact with.

Interview Question – Describe to me the smartphone.   Answer Question

Jul 1, 2014

Thrilled to hear about your positive experience with Medallia. It's reviews like yours that keep us motivated (even after a long day on campus), so thank you for your feedback. Should you want to ... More

Client Services Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Medallia in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter from Medallia via LinkedIn who felt my background and experience matched what they were looking for in a new Client Services and Solutions Analyst. I agreed to a phone call and we set up a phone call for the following week.

The call was very cordial and really just touched on my background, education, and my current position. I was then emailed the same day to set up another 30-minute phone call with another hiring manager for later that week. Again, the call was very simple and mainly touched on my interest in Medallia/tech, and my experience.

The next interview, which was scheduled a further 2 weeks down the road, was with a current manager in the Client Services and Solutions department. The manager was, as per usual, very friendly and seemed genuinely interested and passionate about the company and their role, and took a similar interest in my background and experience. I would say the brainteaser portion of the interview was by far the most challenging. It's understood that clients with limited technical background need basic explanations for things, but explaining it as though you're actually speaking to a 5-year old was somewhat ridiculous. Also, the open-ended nature of some of the questions, particularly the one about a gas tax and raising revenues, makes finding an 'answer' difficult to impossible if no timeline is given. Follow-up after that interview took about a week, which seemed like a long time given it was only a phone interview...

Overall the interview process was reasonably smooth but slightly disorganized as it took a while and follow-up was often slow. Be ready for brainteasers and technical questions about Excel, databases, etc. And lastly it wasn't very heartening when an interview likens the firm's clients to 5-year-olds.

Interview Questions

• Explain what a database is and why you would use one, to a 5-year old.   Answer Question
  • Explain "vlookup" to a 5-year old.   Answer Question
  • Describe 3 ways you would go about calculating how many high school teachers there are in the US.   Answer Question
  • You have a town of 10,000 people and want to raise $1m in revenues through a gas tax. How do you do it?   View Answer

Medallia Employer Branding Specialist responded to this review

May 5, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are sorry to hear about your experience with our brainteasers. Our ‘explain to a 5-year-old’ question aims to give us insight into how people might break down very ... More

Client Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Medallia.

Interview Details – Met at a college career fair. Talked to a representative who said he would pass me though to HR to do a phone interview. A month later I did a phone interview, which was 90% brain teasers. The first 10 minutes was about me and a little about the company, and then he went right in with brain teasers. If this was a face to face interview I would have been sweating bullets.

Interview Question – How many ways can you get a Frisbee out of a tree.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Medallia

Interview Details – 1 hour phone interview. Asked behavioral questions and a brainteaser. The hiring manager was very nice, and gave feedback after answering questions. However it took them more than a month to schedule the phone interview. It was a pleasant interview experience overall. Thought I did pretty good but didn't get to the next round.

Interview Question – What would you do when two clients are having problems and need your help? One has a more urgent problem with less money involved, and one is the other way around.   View Answers (2)

Client Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Medallia.

Interview Details – Met with recruiters at a university career fair and they took my resume. They called a few days later to schedule a phone interview. The first phone interview was walking through my resume and basic questions regarding my interest in Medallia. A second phone interview was scheduled about a week after the first interview. The second interview features personality / behavior questions, brain teasers, and brainstorming-type questions about their business. A few days later I received a phone call stating that they would not pursue further employment discussions.

Interview Question – Brain teasers are relatively straightforward; the interviewer I spoke with seemed to want to guide you to the answer if you couldn't quite get there yourself.   Answer Question

Client Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initial screening interview after campus career fair. After a few weeks, 2-hour phone interview with 2 client services/solutions team members, 1 for each hour. The second interviewer asked 2 brain teasers. Then I got rejected. But the following interview process should be a take-home test and then on-site.

Interview Question – When you, as an employee of Medallia, received complaint emails from some of your clients' customers complaining that they got too many survey emails, what are you going to do to solve this problem?   View Answer

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Medallia in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted within the same day to set up a phone interview. Apparently the phone interview went worse than I thought because I did not make it to the next stage. The following week, I received a general but pleasant rejection letter. I tried to contact the recruiter who interviewed me about feedback, but have not heard back from them and probably never will. I understand they are busy and have other applicants, but it's a bit disappointing considering one of the company's pillars is based off of feedback and improvement. Medallia boasts that it hires candidates with diverse educational and professional backgrounds, which is one of the reasons why I was interested in working for the company. I've done my research on their Client Services Analysts and their experience and education really is a mixed bag, so it's hard to ascertain what I might have been lacking as a candidate. If they said I didn't have enough experience or technical knowledge of software programs, I would be happy. It's still information that I can use to improve myself and application if I apply for the position again in the future. Until then, it's pointless for me to guess why I was passed and for me to apply to the company again.

Interview Question – Tell me about a mistake you made and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Worked for Medallia? Contribute to the Community!