Medallia

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

3.2

Consulting Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Medallia.

The process went smoothly. They seemed rushed but the first interview went well and there was no difficulty setting it up. questions were fairly basic resume based and situational based. Second round was more difficult with more consulting frame worked questions. Second round consisted of 2 1 hour interviews. The questions asked were quite difficult in the second round.

Interview Questions
    • If I was asked how much would be a reasonable increase in my company's rating. How much should it increase by?   Answer Question

Customer Solutions Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Medallia.

Initial interview was over the phone and was very pleasant. Was largely behavioral with a small business oriented question at the end. HR representative was friendly and fun to talk to. Second round was also pleasant, I got to go in to the office and had a good time speaking with my interviewer. Some behavioral questions followed by 4-5 brain teaser types of questions, but fun ones overall. The take-home challenge was two parts, one more qualitative and the other clearly searching for technical skills. I was contacted after the fact and asked to attempt part of the challenge a second time around, with some hand holding, but the second challenge was never set up. The last I heard from the company was late November/early December.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a zombie apocalypse and you were locked in a gym where a vending machine was the only source of food, but you had no money, how would you go about getting the food out?   Answer Question

UE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Medallia.

As mentioned dozens of times by reviewers before, the People and Culture interview should be conducted first to spare everyone the wasted time and effort on several hour round interviews prior. Taking time out of your other professional endeavors to go through extensive meet and greets, only to conclude with an oddly bittersweet therapy session over your entire life, later to be judged, prodded and questioned in a manner which makes me wonder of the caliber of the employees hired and the succinct basis of whether you "fit in" or not. The company has almost a juvenile feel to it. A high school mentality, comparable to a scene out of high school musical. I completely understand the casual vibe of start up in the Bay Area, but sweats to work? And group bonding 'challenges'? Being under 30, I can't even understand the appeal. There are some kind and talented people here and it seems like the 'no jerk' policy was more implemented among the non execs as why would it apply to managers? A certain cut throat mentality makes you a go getter in the professional sphere.

Just don't get your hopes up too high, it may seem a certain way at first from the outside, but after further observation, you definitely have to be of a certain mindset to fit in with the environment, the policies, etc.

Front-End Engineer Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter the day that I submitted my resume. The recruiter asked me for a convenient time to talk. I replied about 15 minutes after receiving that email and I suggested the following day in a 2 hour window to allow her to select a time that was convenient for her.

I didn't hear back from her until 24 hours later saying "I didn't see your e-mail and my schedule is too packed today". Red flag.

I replied that it wasn't a problem and asked her to select a time that works best as the next day as my schedule was very flexible. She suggested the following morning at 9:00 AM to which I let her know that would be perfect.

I spent the night prepping and researching the ins-and-outs of the company. I woke up 2 hours early that morning to get a little extra time in as I was very excited.

9:00 AM hits. No call. 40 minutes later I receive an e-mail saying "Meeting ran long - let's reschedule".

No sincere apology. No concern that I sat there for 40 minutes waiting for her to call.

I replied back a few minutes after receiving that email that I had set aside about an hour for our conversation so I would still be available to talk if it was convenient for her.

It's been 48 hours and I haven't even received a response.

This is the first line on Medallia's summary:

"Think about the last interaction you had with a company. Was it a good one? Could it have been better? These questions sound obvious, but not to businesses. Most organizations don't know whether your experience with them was good or bad — and how they could improve it in the future. Medallia’s cloud-based platform solves this."

I was so put off by the lack of respect for my time and schedule that I didn't bother rescheduling the phone screen which was disappointing because I was extremely excited about this opportunity.

Client Services Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Medallia.

Recruiter reached out to me on linkedin. The recruiting process seems fairly standard, HR screening call, telephonic conversation with their senior management, then they ask you to take their 'Medallia Challenge' and then final round in the office. Since the organization is growing so fast, they seem to be hiring a lot of new people, even their senior folks have been with the organization just a couple of years and you might be underwhelmed with their 'experience' if you have been in the industry for a long time. The interviewers will somehow expect you to know a lot about their product and how it works, great if you have some psychic abilities, if not, you'll have to connect the dots and figure out how their software is built and how it works.
    The recruiting process seems to have gotten better from before: now they have developed the common courtesy of reaching out to their candidates to inform them if they have made it to the next round or not. While their replies are terse and do not contain details on why one did not make it through, it is better than what has been reported before: Something is better than nothing.
    They still have a long ways to go though to come up with a solid hiring progress, but, that also speaks to how long the company has been in business and where they are on the maturity curve.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to read between the lines to get through their 'Medallia Challenge', they give you a day in life scenario that you have to handle as part of the Medallia team, I guess it is supposed to be behavioral/analytical/quantitative: the instructions are not very clear and open to interpretation. They give you 24 hours to solve it, but, say most folks get it done in 4-5 hours.
      There is not a lot information provided on what they are looking for to solve the challenge, you will have to come out with some creative interpretations. In the challenge and the interview, be prepared to somehow have insight into how their software works, they expect you to magically have insight into the inner workings of their system. While this may work for a large erp system or software widely implemented at several client bases, doubt there would be many folks out there who have hands-on experience with Medallia's software. Again this goes back to the perceived arrogance and high-handedness reported by some other interviewees before.
      If you do get to the Medallia challenge, just make be sure the job is worth is and you want to spend your weekend on it instead of all the other things one could be doing on a weekend.

Answer Question

Nov 19, 2014President

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our recruiting process. Though you clearly didn't have a great experience, we appreciate your acknowledgment that we've made at least some progress. We run not ... More

Senior Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Medallia.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter, requesting a phone interview later in the week. After I gave him several days and times I could be available that week and I actually didn't hear back until the next week.This time, it was a different recruiter who was filling in for the original recruiter for the position. We had a typical HR phone screen. When we got to the part where I was asked if I had any questions, I asked 3 or 4 questions that were specific to the position and the recruiter was unable to answer any of my questions. It was awkward because, you are always supposed to ask questions, but I have never had a phone screen where the recruiter literally couldn't answer any of my questions. He said he would find the answers to my questions and get back to me before they tell me the next steps. That ended up being a lie, since the next time I heard from him, it was to tell me they decided to pursue other candidates. I was just like, "Okay ...". He didn't even acknowledge the fact that he was supposed to get back to me with answers to my questions, but didn't. Then he actually called me again later in the day and he was talking and laughing when he picked as he picked up the phone. I was like, "hello ...?". He then went on to tell me AGAIN that they decided to pursue other candidates. I was polite and thanked him, but I did remind him that he had already called me earlier in the day to tell me that... Awkward ...

Interview Questions
    • Why are you looking to leave your current company? Is there more to that?   View Answer

Nov 19, 2014President

That is awkward! I regret the original scheduling snafus, which were caused by an unexpected team reorganization. The reorg also drove the recruiter's inability to answer your questions: we saddled ... More

Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Medallia in November 2014.

My entire experience with Medallia has been superb.

My first contact with Medallia was with the hiring manager whom I liked from the beginning. He was on top of the hiring process and made sure all went smoothly. I also had a fantastic experience with the recruiting team. Amit Pandya was my point of contact and he was truly amazing and extremely efficient.

After my first meeting with the hiring manager I had several interviews with all members of my team as well as other people I will work with. I was mostly asked questions about my background, past projects I have been working on and the reason why I would like to work for Medallia. I recommend anybody interviewing at Medallia to get an understanding of the Customer Experience Management market and read as much as possible about Medallia. There is also a cultural fit interview which I enjoyed a lot. I wasn't asked any inappropriate questions, but rather had a chance to talk about my background and my motivation.

The entire process was transparent and I have always been kept informed about next steps. Due to time restraints, the interview process needed to be fast. In the end, Amit made it possible to reduce the entire time frame to two weeks. He managed to schedule all interviews during these two weeks, reached out to all references the same day I provided him with their contact details, and eventually followed up with an immediate offer. I was impressed.

The reason why I chose to accept Medallia's offer was certainly strongly influenced by the superb experience I have had during the recruiting process.

Client Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Medallia in November 2014.

I will be very direct: Medallia raises the bar when it comes to interviews to new heights. They have a great team with some of the most positive, enthusiastic people I have met in my professional life.

I was contacted back in September by one of their recruiters through LinkedIn. After a short exchange of emails, I took a phone interview with a person from HR who was my main point of contact even though I didn't hear from him again until the very end of the interview process.

After that first interview, I moved on to a 2nd phone interview with a Customer Solutions Manager. Great experience as well and ended on a positive note, leading to the famous Medallia Challenge.
    I actually enjoyed completing it very much and upon submitting it, I was informed a few hours later that I was invited for a final round @ Medallia's HQ.

This is when things got complicated. You see, I am based in Dubai, UAE, something clearly mentioned on my LinkedIn profile, as well as on my resume. I had also informed the recruiters initially that I wasn't a US national, meaning I needed to get a visa to go to the US. Upon informing the recruiter, I was told they had decided to conduct the final round via video conference.

Due to the time difference between California and Dubai, I did 3 interviews between 9pm and midnight (with a short break between the last 2 interviews) at the end of a very busy day at work...
    Again, the persons who interviewed me were great talking to, despite technical issues delaying the interviews with every single person that interviewed me.

Strangely, a couple days later I was informed by email that I was invited for another final round, this time on site @ Medallia's HQ. This was great news for me as I really wanted to get a chance to meet the team.
    It wasn't an easy task though as it was a 16 hours flight to California and I had to go through 3 interviews while completely jet lagged. I still felt it was a positive experience, but a couple days later, I was informed that the hiring manager decided that I was not a good fit for the role and that they were pursuing other candidates.

I honestly will keep great memories of the whole experience in general. But there are many things I feel could be improved in the hiring process:
    - I was contacted by 4 different recruiters which made things a bit confusing as I didn't know at times who to email to follow up during the interview process.
    - While the use of brain teasers is still common in some companies, some of the ones used in the interview process are in the list of questions that were "banned" by other companies like Google, due to being unnecessarily difficult and/or not representative of one's skills.

Last but not least, I actually started this journey knowing that it would not work out. For a very simple reason: I am not based in the US, am not a US citizen and do not have a green card. Meaning, even if I get an offer, I would need to wait till next April for a shot at getting an H1 visa.
    For those who don’t know, last April, the quota for H1 visas was not reached, but exceeded in a single day (April 1st), 160000 applications against a quota of 65000. A lottery was conducted to pick the 65000 lucky winners.
    Finally, once you get the visa, you cannot start working before 6 months. In other words If I got the visa in April, I wouldn’t have been able to join Medallia before October 2015.

Now I seriously doubt any company would wait nearly a year for a candidate to join their ranks, and that is being a best case scenario! Because their legal team got involved in the last days before the final verdict and it was clear from the emails sent to me that the lawyer was trying to find a loophole or exception, I think that might have played a part in my candidacy being rejected in the end. And who am I to blame them? It’s natural.
    But I still find it strange that we had to go through a 2 month process before reaching such a conclusion that was inevitable from the very beginning. I am not sure if their recruitment team is used to recruiting candidates from overseas but it certainly seemed peculiar that not a single person inquired about whether I was able to legally work in the US or not…

Interview Questions
    • - How much would it cost to wash all the windows in New York? (yes really...)   Answer Question

N/A Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Medallia.

My entire interview experience was fantastic; although, I had a unique experience because my hiring manager was the one who drove the entire process. From the initial phone interview to the offer, it was well-executed, timely, and I was constantly updated on the status. Everyone I dealt with was highly professional and friendly. Though the process is long (just multiple rounds, not necessarily time-wise), it is clear they are doing so because they are very selective.

Interview Questions
    • Name two pivotal moments which shaped who you are today.   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate compensation -- it went well, they were flexible, and actually gave me additional compensation on top of the negotiated amount, which I hadn't expected.

Nov 19, 2014President

I appreciate you taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. I'm glad we were able to provide a positive experience, and that you were as committed to the process as we were. We look ... More

Customer Solutions/Analyst Role Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Medallia.

I was reached out to interview with Medallia three times by three different people. They were all very sweet and I finally accepted a call with a recruiter to speak more about the role. It was a quick 30 minute call where we just talked about basic things and what I was looking for. I felt like the recruiter and I had a great conversation so it was confusing as to why he failed to follow up with me. Even if he didn't think I was fit for the role, the least you can do is to thank the person for taking the time to talk with you. But he left no word at all and that to me is just damaging to the Company's reputation. I hope they learn to improve this experience and at least respond to each candidate so they have some sort of closure.

Oct 30, 2014President

Wow -- I'd be frustrated with the experience you describe too. My apologies! Whether out of confusion or crossed wires or a plain old mistake, we clearly delivered a bad experience. I have reached ... More