Medallia

Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.2

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in June 2014.

- Started with quick call with member of recruiting team, after meeting a senior member of the Medallia team informally.

- Was brought in for a day of interviews. Met with 5 people from the product management and product marketing teams. Interview questions were a mix of behavioral, analytical, and experience-based. Overall, it was a pleasant and interesting experience - the team had great energy and passion for the company.

- After the first round of interviews, was given a challenge project to complete over a couple days, which involved a competitive analysis and strategic plan.

- Then was brought back in for a second day of interviews, during which I presented the challenge project to three members of the product team. I also had several other interviews that day with product managers and engineers. Again, very positive interactions and conversations.

Overall, working with the recruiting team was pretty smooth, and they were responsive and accommodating throughout. I was consistently impressed by the strong positive culture of the company and the caliber of the people I was meeting there. Also, the way Medallia thinks about customer experience management and the broad impact that it can have is really inspiring.

Interview Questions
    • The challenge project was challenging (as the name suggests) - it covers a lot of ground for having such a short turnaround. Be ready to devote some pretty serious time to it. Otherwise, there weren't any "trick" or surprise questions - just a good mix of behavioral, situational, and analytical.   Answer Question
    I found the recruiting team to be very helpful in the negotiation phase - they understood the questions and concerns I had and worked to put them to rest. I thought the process was transparent and collaborative throughout.

Sep 9, 2014President

Thank you for sharing your review. I'm thrilled to hear you were inspired by our view of customer experience management and the impact it can have on the world. I'm doubly thrilled that our passion ... More

Data Quality Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in July 2014.

- Despite already having a contractor position (data analytics) with the company, I was looking for a full time yet similar to my current role, and still reporting to the same team (product). I did not underestimate the process just because of my relation and the more internal info/resource available to me.
    - Initially applied through internal referral, we as a team determined it might be a potential fit given the similar work nature: data & QA management using internal software, analyzing feedback from client's customers. HR responded fairly quickly, and got off to the Medallia signature friendly/energetic start.
    - Was informed to go through 2 rounds of phone chat, first round to discuss the general culture fit; it was pleasant and productive, though not sure if the chat is genuine. Second round involves more specific and technical, included share my previous and current projects and how to handle working with other teams and overcome resource challenges. I expressed my thoughts and share some ideas on how the process can be better (based on what I experienced here so far). They seemed to be listening, but again I wasn't sure if they are taking it seriously, or have been legitimately considered me during the entire process.
    - I shared about expand my role to the team and company, and discussed options with them. The reason to apply is very straightforward: to expand work and responsibilities as compare to the contractor position, which experienced a series of inconsistent schedule and lack of work gap due to a major internal system bug issue that required me to pause my project for a significant amount of time. It did caused a delay. Sounds crazy, I was so eager to contribute more but had to be pulled out from work. No choice.
    - The team told me they understand my intension and the interest to step up. And their attitude was (again, seemingly) supportive and welcoming. I shared with them that I am familiar with the work and culture and the position is closely related to my current work, yet similar does not equal to same work, and so I elaborated that in the case if there are areas that I didn't have enough experience I would definitely willing go through additional training and will pick it up ASAP and be ready to go. Again, they said they understand and appreciated my attitude. But somehow at the end, I received the decision that I will not be moving forward, and experience was mainly the factor. Not hard feelings, but did wish the process can be more transparent upfront instead of giving false hope by making it sound like the candidate will be getting the offer and posing the "we-are-already-in-the-next-step" scenario (e.g. over-friendly, engaging, promising). It's hard to tell what's truly in their mind.
    - Ultimately, I went back to remain with the contractor role and was told to get in touch again "at some point" when there is another fit. But no specific timetable given.

Interview Questions
    • - How to deal with other teams (e.g Engineering, Client Services) when there are issues affecting your project and timeline of the work.
      - Elaborate your previous product experiences, go through product roadmap in detail
        Answer Question

Sep 9, 2014President

Thank you for your feedback - it sounds like we have a number of opportunities to get better. While I appreciate that we came across as friendly and genuine, I'm disappointed that we caused you to ... More

Customer Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Medallia in July 2014.

Interview consisted of 4 phases:
    (1) quick chat with recruiter
    (2) In-person interview with 3-4 peers
    (3) Medallia Challenge -- 24 hour take home test (took me longer than I thought it would)
    (4) In-person interview with 3-4 senior managers

The recruiter was pretty responsive most of the time. I had to work with two or three different people from the recruiting area which make it a bit confusing at times. I also wasn't sure if all my info had been successfully communicated from recruiter to recruiter. I found the jobvite system weird to work with (made it unclear who you were actually emailing).

I wasn't sure about Medallia when I started the interview process since I didn't really know much about the industry, but every time I interacted with a Medallian (whether it was for an interview or just to ask questions) I was left very impressed. The staff was extremely prepared, intelligent, empathetic, professional, and kind. It started becoming a place I really wanted to be a part of.

Interview Questions
    • There were a few "trick" questions but nothing too crazy. Most questions were situational and/or managerial.   Answer Question

Aug 20, 2014President

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am thrilled that our team inspired you to make the leap into the CEM space. I appreciate your kind words for the team and your patience in working through some ... More

Customer Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in July 2014.

The interview process was extremely enlightening and all around, a good experience. The Medallia folk are clearly doing-diligence to ensure their company expands (albeit at the rapid pace its growing!) with integrity and care. i was impressed with the caliber of individuals I spoke with, and also their honesty regarding the company culture, its rapid growth, and the sometimes-uncertain future with relation to its quick pace of expansion. In all, I had a great experience and it was clear the company is well-managed, pretty well-organized and on a pathway toward great endeavors.

Interview Questions
    • Predict the response rates for a survey within a large hotel chain.   Answer Question

It wasn't the right timing for me.

Sep 9, 2014President

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for your kind words. Maintaining our culture is a big priority for us as we scale, and I'm glad you felt this in your interviews. I regret that our offer came ... More

Training Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Medallia.

I had 3 phone interviews and everyone was great and friendly. They wanted to get to know more about my background and how I saw myself fitting into the culture of the company and the role itself. The interviewing process was the best I've ever been through. Even though I ended up not getting the offer, I still enjoyed the experience. I always got responses to my emails and felt like they genuinely cared. Great job!

Interview Questions
    • There were some technical questions that were hard to answer only because it would've been easier to have the program in front of me.   Answer Question

Aug 26, 2014President

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We have been working to improve our interview process so that we give every candidate the experience you describe. We are thrilled to hear that we ... More

Customer Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in July 2014.

I was contacted by someone from the hiring team to gauge my interest, I had some knowledge about what they did and about their product going in. The process for me had multiple calls. The first was a straight forward recruiter call, simple stuff. Then I was scheduled for an interview with a person who was in the same position. The interview was mostly behavioral, questions ranged on various situations: how did you handle something, what would you do if this happened. I have an advanced Management degree and these questions were straight forward but i did feel atleast on two questions the interviewer wanted to hear something else.

The interviewer had also just come out of a meeting so he was late a little harried. The problem with subjective questions is that the interviewer forgets its subjective. I may have made a mistake in stating my familiarity with their product and company, the interviewer then asked me to assume I have been working there for a while and answer how would I tackle some situations: what happens if we send the wrong communication, what happens if our product does not work. I answered them as an outsider would but he wanted to hear something else. There were other questions which require working knowledge of their product but he asked them anyway which was weird. I want to also point out one more thing without being rude, the interviewer had way less work experience and academic qualifications than I did and it did feel like there was a bit of that discomfort visible throughout the call.

Most of the questions were garden variety: greatest strength, greatest weakness, describe a situation where you handled a client dissatisfaction.

I think the recruiters were professional and accommodated my interview timing requests well but once it got to the interview and a post interview feedback there was none. I waited a month before reaching out and was told they were moving on, which is absolutely fine but reasons for moving on what did not match would be good. Also, i wonder if i would have ever got any feedback if I had not reached out to them. I had read reviews on glassdoor that they do not bother to reach out to you if you are not selected for the next step and it is true they do not reach out. Its a shame if they streamline their process well they can attract lot more talent. Also, the interviewer was very defensive about their product and the role. They have 2 different titles with same job description and when I quizzed him about it he could not explain the difference in roles (with one being the role he was working at currently).

Interview Questions
    • None. Which makes the process frustrating. I was asked about situations with clients but nothing was unexpected, new, or difficult.   Answer Question

Aug 20, 2014President

Thanks for leaving such honest and detailed feedback about your experience. Your impression that our interviewer didn't feel entirely comfortable was interesting and, frankly, new to me -- but it ... More

Experiential Learning Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Medallia in July 2014.

The initial phone interviews had me very excited about the company. The live interview, however, was disorganized and unprofessional. I first had three separate phone interviews, including a "personality interview" to assess if I was a cultural fit. Though tedious, I perceived this level of detail as a commitment to finding the right candidate. After several weeks, I was finally scheduled for a live interview and was given a "challenge," which consisted of a one hour presentation on enterprise software sales. Between the phone interviews and preparing the "challenge" presentation, I had about 10 hours invested before I even went to the live interview. Given this level of detail, I expected a similar live interview experience. Instead, I found the live interview haphazard and juvenile. My "challenge" presentation was attended by only two people (five were scheduled) and was held in a conference room so small I was unable to present standing up. The VP of sales failed to show up for the 1:1 interview. The hiring manager was dressed for the beach and lacked a business card. Another manager went on and on about their, "No a-holes" policy, but came across as an arrogant a-hole with an agenda that was in clear conflict with the job description. By the end of the day, it was clear it was not a good fit. However, it still took over two weeks for the recruiter to get back to me, and even then he could not provide any feedback. If you are a twenty-something looking for a cool place to hang your 9-5 hat, I'm sure Medallia has a lot to offer. However, as a seasoned professional who has, "been there, done that," I found Medallia to be a group of nice people playing dress-up while searching for real direction.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a sales person who is clearly not a good fit?   View Answer

Aug 20, 2014President

Thank you for your review. I must say you left us with a lot to think about. The final round you describe - interviewers having schedule changes, last minute no-shows, lack of conference room space ... More

Product Manager Interview

interviewed at Medallia in August 2014.

I have interview in Medallia.
    It supposed to be first "let's meet" interview with HR.
    Recruiter (Anne Ciccarelli) put the phone on the speaker.The first couple of question was related to HR and then interview became professional. The most serious was the question: suggest a new product for the some company. I answered, but it wasn't my best shot.
    After reading all these reviews, I did not expect that someone will contact me.
    I was wrong. A week later, Anne called me and very gently, trying not to harm my dignity informed me that I do not fit. Good job, Anne Ciccarelli.

Aug 20, 2014President

Thank you for leaving feedback and for recognizing one of our recruiters. I'm sorry that, based on your Glassdoor research, you did not expect a follow-up call. We are taking action on these reviews ... More

Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Medallia.

Recruiter found me and got in touch. I had a screening call with her and then another with the internal HR. I was then scheduled for a first round - which was 2 hrs. It was a mix of background/experiences, brainteasers (which were easy, but hard to see relevance) and then some behavioral questions. I thought it went well and had good rapport with the interviewers but was rejected with no feedback. It was a huge waste of time especially since they had reached out to me.

Interview Questions
    • It is difficult to answer questions about what you would do in that role you are recruiting for as you dont know the exact processes at the company so my estimate on the right response may not be what the company does. No response or feedback was given which made this a huge waste of my time.   Answer Question

Aug 14, 2014President

Thanks for sharing your feedback - I can definitely understand your frustration. We've gotten quite a bit of criticism about our lack of feedback and are working on the issue, but I apologize we ... More

Customer Solution Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Medallia.

Had several rounds, screening call with recruiter, followed by two separate phone interviews with a director and manager, and an onsite interview with four team members ranging in authority/responsibility. Between the phone interviews and going onsite I had to complete the Medallia Challenge which was a two-part analysis & write up

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness?
      How do you mentor/develop people?
        Answer Question

Aug 14, 2014President

Thanks for sharing your feedback. As I see that you chose not to accept our offer, I must apologize that we did not provide a more inspiring experience. If there are things that we could have done ... More

Worked for Medallia? Contribute to the Community!