Media General Interview Questions

2.4

Promo Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Media General in October 2013.

The Marketing Director responded to my email the next day. I couldn't make it to the interview right away so he was nice and waited 2 weeks for me. The interview was very friendly and casual. I got a tour of the TV station and got introduced to everyone who was there. All very friendly. I received an offer after the tour but could not accept because the pay was too low.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. He wanted to know details about where I had worked and if I planned to stay in town and be relied on.   View Answer

The pay was too low.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked some weird questions such as if you were an animal what would you be?   View Answer
    I asked for more money and they said no

Online Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Media General in December 2008.

It takes months to get through Media General's hiring process. If you are currently employed, be patient. If you are not, look elsewhere.

Ask for what you think you deserve up front, because raises are almost non-existent.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spartanburg, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spartanburg, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Media General in May 2010.

Submit online application, resume and portfolio (reel). Appropriate manager contacts by phone to schedule interview (or not). An hour-long (at least) interview with appropriate supervisor, tour station and interact/observe department activities. Background check and such from corporate HR. About a week (or longer) manager offers job, HR takes over and has you complete drug testing and paperwork. Negotiate contract (if necessary) and all's left is dotting the 'i' and crossing the 't'.

Interview Questions
    • Personally, there were no difficult or unexpected questions. The interview process was very straightforward for me and I was straight out of college, so my prep work paid off.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for my job.

Specialized Web Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Media General in July 2010.

Initially contact by a consulting company recruiter who connected me to the onsite employee. After a few calls I was invited onsite for an interview that was scheduled for several hours. The first question asked after the obligatory "did you have trouble finding our budling" type questions was about monetary expectations. At that point they should have thanked me for coming out and ended the interview. Instead, I sat through the remainder of the interviews not quite sure that this was a good match for me. I walked away at the end hoping they would not offer the position and thankfully they did not. I followed up with an email and a handwritten thank you, and after not receiving any response, followed up again with an email and a phone call. they did not ever respond which further cemented my decisition that this is not an organziation I want to work with in the next few years. Several times over the next two months I received calls from recruiters excited that I was a "perfect match" for this opening they were trying to fill. Next thing out of their mouth was that the monetary compensation was probably a bit on the low side so we should talk about moeny up front. Their minimum requiremens for this Senior level postion - broad experience in multiple industries, BS degree (MS preferred), and 10+ minimum years (15+ preferred). On paper, I exceeded all of their requirements and felt I could do the job well. I did like the vibe I got from the people I met, so I knew it was not a good match for me. Later I found out there were offering less than $60K/year for this position, which is more closely match to someone who has just graduated or has just a few years experience.

Interview Questions
    • The person hired was going to be resposnible for redsigning all of their web sites. I was shown numerous examples of the current web look and feel and asked what I would do to improve each one, as well as what I would do to provide a familial feel to them as a family of web sites.   View Answer

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Media General in July 2008.

The main one on one interviews were a mess. The regional manager (East) who was supposed to interview me was unavailable the day I was scheduled. They had to call in another regional manager (West) at the last minute and he was unprepared. Their boss the state manager tossed everything on the second manager and took off as fast as he could. The only person who seemed to have any organization was the secretary who tried to keep everything from falling apart. I soon realized, as I was hired, that the reason for most of the problems was the lack of manpower and the overworking of those there. This is the common culture at this company. Many jobs go unfilled or are eliminated leaving the ramaining people to try and hold all the pieces together. You can see this in the fact that in my first six months one of the regional managers had been laid off and the other was moved to the transportation department which was in even worse shape for leadership. Their positions were eliminated leaving an already disorganized state manager in worse shape. A common feeling is passed around in the office: when things are good your job is good; when things are bad your job is bad. The only problem is for every twelve months only one is good and this is not an issue of the economy.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand that you will be starting your nights on duty at 2 A.M. and work until about 8 or 10 as stated in the job discription that was published?   View Answer
    There is no real negotiation. There is only the interviewer trying to make the pay sound like it is more than it is based on performance bonuses. The only problem is that most of the performance standards that you need to meet to get the bonuses are unreachable in most districts. Another manager I met had been there at least 4 years more than me. He said in his entire time he had never gotten the numbers needed to get the major bonus money only the smaller goals that gave little reward so he stopped even trying after a while.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Media General in March 2008.

I had 6 interviews before I was made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you spend the first 90 days working in your territtory?   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Media General in June 2009.

i emailed the news director directly, who then called me in for an interview. the station was very easy to find, and the staff and news diretor was very inviting and warm. i took a tour of the station and met the watched the broadcast..i took a writing test and answered some questions about the city and state.

Interview Questions
    • information about the congressman, senators and other leaders of the area   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Media General in January 2012.

Sent email to Advertising Director and received a response the next week about a job opening. Spoke initially on the phone, then set up in person interview. Second interview was with the Publisher of the company. Soon after an offer was made. Very informative interview. General questions asked and what to expect of a job with their company.

Interview Questions

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!