MediaMath Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014
Updated Oct 2, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at MediaMath.

I was contacted by a MediaMatch recruiter via LinkedIn and we quickly scheduled a phone interview with a team lead. The phone interview was pretty normal, although maybe slightly lighter on heavy technology compared to other technology companies.

I had an in-person interview soon after and generally enjoyed myself and had great conversations with the interviewers. I met with 4 different interviewers and the internal recruiter and the interview took roughly 3 hours.

Everyone was very polite and made sure I was comfortable and well hydrated. Thanks!

However, I then heard nothing from the company afterwards. Not a yes, or a no. No feedback, no "thanks, but no thanks". Not even after I emailed the company to ask for an update.

I understand that some people don't want to deal with delivering bad news and find it uncomfortable, but come'on...you must be rejecting more people than you extend offers to, so you should have had plenty of practice with it. I personally find it extremely rude and inappropriate not to have the decency of letting people who've spent hours talking to you know about your hiring decision. Reputations matter.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MediaMath.

What makes MediaMath unique? How can you compare MediaMath to its competitors? Why do you want to work here? How would you approach your territory? What knowledge/expertise do you bring to Sales? Need to make sure how individual responds to independent environment and tackles challenging situations especially if you're not that familiar with Ad Tech.

Interview Questions
    • Can you please pitch MediaMath's TerminalOne Platform?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MediaMath in August 2014.

Was asked to come in and meet with a panel, take skills test, go to another location to meet with more people then asked for references. Specifically requested feedback by a certain date as I had another opp on the table but wanted MM....since references were requested, I released the tabled opp and waited for MM. Follow up email I sent revealed they went in another direction (WHA...?) asked to come back in for diff role; 2 follow up emails have revealed no feedback on that meeting. MM is a good place to work but several candidates are listing that they too are practically given the job then never hear back. Uncool to waste the valuable time of ppl that are obviously looking for a job. Clean up your act with that messiness.

Summer Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MediaMath.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume online, who then put me in touch with someone in the department to speak to. I spoke to this person for about 30 minutes over the phone. I did not hear back afterward.

Interview Questions
    • An Excel function question about a function I had never used.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MediaMath in March 2014.

Simple and easy. Asked about relevant experience, similarities between company's, then got technical to the experience and skillset.

Api Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MediaMath.

Standard coding questions and brain teasers, nothing special.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MediaMath in January 2014.

Recruiter (Annmarie Riccio) was very efficient and communicated extremely well. I couldn't ask for more. She would follow up minutes after an interview ended to check in, and this was a major help. The interviews themselves were challenging but a good match for my abilities. I had interviewed at Google, Palantir, Dropbox, and Evernote, but I got rejected from them largely because of weak system design knowledge. The MediaMath interview was about as difficult as my Twitter interview, but the opportunity with MM was to join a recently acquired team of Akamai veterans to build a new Data Products team from scratch. It was an incredible opportunity to learn from the best and take significant ownership early on, and combined with how positive everyone I met was about working there, I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design the data model for a Twitter clone and explain how to scale it.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MediaMath in January 2014.

I had two interviews, since I met my would-be boss outside of the workplace, I didn't have to go through the screening phase.

Each interview lasted about an hour and half to two hours, where I met numerous people. The questions were thoughtful, no sugar coating the responsibilities, and everyone was honest. I really like in a team. Everyone I met with was really respectful and smart as well.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was probably surrounding the ad tech industry and what I knew about it.   View Answer
    I was able to bump up my salary a bit after looking over the benefits package once an offer was extended to me. I didn't get all I asked for, but they met me halfway.

Account Planner Intern Interview

I found the internship through my college. I wasn't very interested in the industry but I decided to give it a try anyway since it seemed like a fun company. (It is.)

They told me to come in for an interview at their New York HQ office. (I don't remember the turnaround time, sorry!) I was only told only one person would interview me so, to my surprise, the interview in total lasted at least a couple of hours with quite a few interviewers: first the top account director, then the account manager that I would be working with if they took me in, some members of her team, and another account manager. If I recall correctly, 4-5 people interviewed me, either alone or in teams of two.

The interview wasn't too difficult. The only "intimidating" part was the length of the interview; I never had to sit through such a long interview and talk for so long! They just went through my resume and asked the standard "why do you want to work here" kind of questions. Because I had no experience in this industry, they took a generous amount of time answering my questions and explaining to me how the industry worked, which I appreciated. I think they were predisposed to accept me because they liked me on paper and they really needed an intern. And I also think that they mainly wanted to see how much I wanted the position and how well I would get along with the team that I would be assigned to (which is why they brought so many team members in to interview me). As far as I know, from what I saw later when I worked at the company, having the entire team meet the potential employee is pretty standard for interviews of this position (both full time and intern). By the end of the interview, they already implicitly told me that I had the position.

I think that the main thing they look for is if you fit with their work philosophy. I've heard my manager say this before. You may be smart and qualified but that's not enough; they want to be able to see themselves working well with you. MediaMath has a very team-oriented atmosphere. Do your research on their company values and philosophy, see what they hold important!! Also, it's not very important that you know about the industry, because few people straight out of college like me would know about online advertising in such detail. But they want fast learners and quick, creative thinkers!

Interview Questions
    • One of the managers saw that I had a behavioral economics background and quizzed me a little on it ("explain to me a concept or theory in behavioral economics"), which was unexpected for me.   Answer Question

Technical Account Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MediaMath.

After applied through the website, got an email back to set up a phone interview. It went about 20-30 minutes. I don't exactly remember the exact questions, but there were few.
    - What quality of yours or personal trait matters the most in your career at MediaMath?
    - Why do you want to work for MediaMath?