MediaTek Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2015

Marketing Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MediaTek in January 2015.

I applied online and was contacted by HR within two days to set up an interview the very next week. There were supposed to be two interviews with two different people back to back, but then it turned out the first person was on vacation. I scheduled my interview with the second one and HR said that we'd reschedule the first person after they returned to the office.

I was greeted very warmly by the front office and I was made to feel very at ease in the conference room while I waited for the interview to start. It was a teleconference, and there were a few technical difficulties, but we were able to speak on the phone until the video kicked in.

The interviewer was very personable and we had a good conversation, but it was mostly about the future of the department and the goals for the position and we went past the allotted time. Very pleasant, interesting, informative conversation, but we didn't actually talk much about my skills or qualifications.

I followed up with HR to schedule the second interview as the date approached for when that person would be back from vacation. HR didn't respond to my email. Five days later I followed up with the person I interviewed with, and was told that the process was taking longer than anticipated and they weren't scheduling second interviews yet and that he'd let me know. The next day I heard from HR and was told I would not be continuing as a candidate.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MediaTek in January 2015.

4 rounds of interview. First round with hiring manager + one senior engineer. Second round with a senior PM. Third round with the director of the department. Last round with the HR.
    Overall easy interviews. Went over technical background and past experience. HR and director had some personality questions. The process can be long since the HQ is in Taiwan and there is time difference. It tools 2 months between the 1st interview and job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with uncooperative internal engineers?   Answer Question

Director of Communications Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MediaTek in December 2014.

This place is weird.

I was first contacted by a recruiter for this position. When he found out that I was interviewing with their competitor, he put me directly in touch with the woman who would be my boss and was hiring for this position. We had a brief phone conversation and she promised to follow up with me the next week with times for an in-person meeting. She never contacted me.

However, it all got very weird when MediaTek HR sent me an email telling me that they wanted to make me a job offer. I was worried because I had not yet met the woman who was to be my boss in person. Obviously I needed to be sure that I wanted to work for her and, frankly, she does not have a great reputation in the industry. However I wanted to reserve judgement until I met her for myself.

Well, after they tell me they want to make me a job offer, they email me back to tell they are undoing their commitment to making me a job offer. All very strange behavior. I would be careful if you're interviewing here. Not sure what goes on behind the scenes, but it appears that the company is highly dysfunctional - especially in corporate marketing.

Interview Questions
    • This was never a question, but apparently they asked someone in the industry about my relationship with my boyfriend, who lives in the UK. Completely inappropriate.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MediaTek in August 2014.

Two phone interviews, one with the manager and one with a senior member. Each one lasts for one hour or more. Then I got the opportunity of an on-site interview. I gave a presentation (1.5 hours) followed by several individual interviews with the members in the team. Each individual interview is 30 to 45 minutes. Lastly, I had a final interview talk with the manager as wrap up.

Interview Questions
    • One probability question and one digital signal processing question.   Answer Question

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MediaTek in January 2014.

mostly from resume. interviewer had qns about published papers in conferences . some basic design qns as well.

Interview Questions
    • why did you quit your job ? i quit my job and was my personal decision . interviewer was too curious to know why what etc. Seemed he was more upset more than me and worried i quit my job after 10 years. I told him i just needed a change and i already have a offer. It did not make him happy still.   View Answer

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MediaTek in May 2013.

Submitted the resume on the website. Got email after about 1 month.
    The interview was at Taiwan but I was at U.S so we had a phone interview.

Two people were interviewing with me. They asked very detail part about my project, which is wireless network simulation. No other technical questions involved.
    The interview also talked about the major tasks you may need to do if admitted.
    They are the department doing research and simulation in 4G networks.

I thought I answered pretty well, but however I had not been contacted after 3 weeks.
    And then I emailed the person and after 1 day I got the reject...

Interview Questions
    • Asked about the project to very detail. They will discuss and even find out something you can improve. Brilliant.   Answer Question

Digital Signal Processing Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MediaTek in May 2011.

I applied online. After a few weeks, I got an email from a recruiter saying that they would like to set up an interview with me and asking my weekly available time. They gave me a very prompt reply after I told them my available time (about 15 mins only). The interview was scheduled two weeks latter. They asked me some technical questions about algorithms and communication theory. After that, they asked me some of my previous projects on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • (1) Please explain what is quick sort and its implementation
      (2) What does modulation and demodulation work in FM? How to improve them?
      (3) Please name a few applications of linked list and their pros and cons.

Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MediaTek in April 2010.

They did 1:1 Interview for hiring an intern this summer. They asked me about VLSI, c/c++, and computer architecture. They were not asking for very specific knowledge in those field but broad and basic knowledge. Also, they asked me about "what do you want to be in future, and what is your dream job." The interview took about 45 minutes. It wasn't very tough interview.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate since this position was just an internship.

Hardware Engineering Contract Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MediaTek in August 2009.

The interview was not well organized, I just met with the manager hiring for the position and he couldn't find his list of questions to ask. When he did, he just had two questions, both technical problems he wanted me to solve.

Interview Questions
    • He had a diagram of a simple CPU with instruction memory and data memory, and a number of instructions in the instruction memory. He said there was a bug in one of the interconnects, either one of the pins is hooked up wrong, tied to 1, tied to 0, etc. He had me go through and debug by stepping through each instruction to find out where the problem was.   View Answer

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at MediaTek in October 2008.

consisted of a phone interview - mostly based on resume
    onsite 6 1:1 interviews , technical questions on low power rtl design , timing and design on paper