Medical College of Wisconsin Interview Questions in Milwaukee, WI

Updated Feb 17, 2015

3.1

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in January 2015.

Initial meeting with HR, was very easy, did not ask any traditional questions and seemed as though they fully read and comprehended my experience without me telling them about it. I took a typing test and Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook test.

HR set up interview with Administrator and Administrative Coordinator of the department I would be assisting. Not even 5 minutes into my interview the individual I met with in HR called the Administrator and the Administrator excused herself. Let me just say, considering another individual commented that this happened to them as well on Glassdoor it seems this is their routine. I found it unbelievably unprofessional considering HR has their daily schedule and knows that she was in an interview at this time because HR is the one who scheduled the interview. It seems that this is staged as a way for HR to hear their "first impression" after 2 minutes of meeting wit me. The Administrator was gone for over 20 minutes while I spoke with the Administrative Coordinator. Not one question was asked about why I would be a good fit, my experience, etc, instead the coordinator talked the entire time about why she loves working there and the serious changes that were taking place and how difficult they were to deal with. Once the Administrator came back into the room she made up an excuse for why she had to take the call and proceeded to tell me that I would be passed on for additional interviews and that the coordinator would be in touch. They also stressed how long the interview process is and repeatedly asked me if this was okay that it would take a long time. I left the interview not knowing what had just happened because both experiences, so far, were the furthest in relation to an interview.

I received the interview itinerary from the coordinator a few weeks later and was blown away that I was to meet with 11 individuals over the course of 3 and 1/2 hours. In my mind it was going to be a panel interview or multiple individuals at different times. Let me say this experience was the most exhausting process I have ever endured in interviewing for a job and the most disorganized. I met with everyone in the department that I would be working with/for, at random times, unplanned. Some meetings were 1 on 1 and others were with 4 to 5 individuals. My resume was given to them as I was walking into the door to meet with them. One of the more "mature" nurses squinted her eyes and pursed her lips while speaking to me repeating over and over that she did not believe I understood the job description when her colleague next to her defended me. It was demeaning but I held my ground. The worst was meeting with 5 nurses all in 20's to mid 30's. When I walked into the room there was no greeting and I attempted to shake their hands and they stared at me blankly and in silence. At one point a 6th nurse walked in right past me laughing, leaned against a wall with her arms crossed, and made a joke about wasting her time and they all laughed. I was the only one asking questions and at one point one of the nurses said, "wow, apparently we're the ones being interviewed according to her." It was a waste of my time and I contemplated walking out and formally removing my interest in the position.

I finished meeting with the rest of the department. Everyone except for the individuals mentioned about were extremely professional and commented that they looked forward to working with me. The coordinator walked me out and said she would contact me to set up the remaining interviews. She said she wanted me to understand that they were clearly very interested in me otherwise they would not put me through this process and she repeated this over and over. Odd but it slightly compensated for the mind-blowing experience I had with the rude nurses.

I went home and immediately sent a thank you email and requested she follow up to schedule the remaining meetings. Four weeks passed and I emailed the coordinator again to follow up since I had not heard a word. No response. I decided to email HR to follow up to get at least an answer or insight to the next step. No response and it's been a few weeks.

I am incredibly disappointed in my experience and can not imagine that this is an environment I would want to work in if the individuals in charge can not reply to an email. It is irrelevant how many individuals they are interviewing. I have been in their position before and I can tell you I would have been terminated if I allowed such experiences to happen with potential hires, especially if word reached HR that I acted in the way the 6 nurses did. So disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself was the only "interview" question.   Answer Question

Medical College of Wisconsin Response

Feb 24, 2015HR Consultant for Communication

MCW prides itself on being an inclusive community where all individuals are valued and respected and we are very sorry to hear your interview process was not representative of this commitment ... More

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through other source – interviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin.

Interviewed with Manager and Administrator for about 20 minutes each. The Administrator took a non urgent phone call in the middle of the interview which I thought was extremely rude.

Interview Questions
    We went back and forth with wages twice because the offer was too low.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in October 2013.

Applied online, contacted by email about 3 weeks later for preliminary interview. You will get an email confirming the interview appointment, along with forms to fill out ahead of time - including a credit check and criminal background check. Their hiring office is very hard to find, so be careful that you go to the right building. Went in for a preliminary interview which included skills tests on Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint). After the skills tests, met for about thirty minutes with one of the HR people. Took about 90 minutes to get through both parts. Interview questions were pretty standard. Was told I would be contacted either way about the position, and heard nothing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a mistake that you made. It was hard to come up with a good example because I am used to emphasizing my strengths.   View Answer

Research Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in July 2013.

The hiring process was extended partly because they were screening a lot of candidates. The interviewers were pleasant and friendly. I got adequate information when I asked questions. They notified me well in advance for interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was why how I would ask questions when I do not quite follow the conversions with my boss   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin.

Initial interview with Employment, then interviewed with manager of position, director of area, and then 3 interviews with managers of various areas would support. In total 6 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The initial interview with the recruiter and the hiring manager were very balanced and pleasant experiences. The final interviews with the Director of HR and then managers of various area that the position would support focused on how political the environment is, as well as, in my case, their preconceived assumptions about my employer. My employer is, by far, the largest employer in the health field in the area and each one of the final 4 interviews made me feel like I was the on the receiving end of their assumptive viewpoints.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in October 2012.

Very unprofessional.

Was called on Wed afternoon. The only slot the had was the next day at 3pm.

Made it work. Had a 3 person interview. 2 admins nd head of department. 2 admin dint provide anything useful as it was a financial analyst interview.

Received email week later saying hey went with other candidate.

I askedth HR person that found me for some constructive criticism so could improve. Never got a response.

Interview Questions
    • Can you handle a lot of red tape and drawn out long approval processes?   Answer Question

Lab Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

The process took a dayinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in February 2012.

A difficult interview because there were a few of technical questions asked which I hadn't been expecting. The interview took about an hour, and the interviewer was generally very nice and helpful (happy to answer questions). Unfortunately, I wasn't offered the position and they just sent me a standard email to let me know, so no feedback was given.

Reimbursement Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in July 2011.

Very down to earth, genuine people in HR.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you made a mistake that affected yours or someone elses job(s), and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

RF Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in April 2011.

A call from the HR followed by technical phone interview and then a final onsite interview

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin in December 2010.

The position I applied for was a middle-management administrative position.

Positives: Judging from most of the people I met with, the physical work environment, the salary and benefits, and the location of MCW, I think it would be a nice place to work.

Negatives: It was the most exhaustive interview process that I have ever encountered. I interviewed with 14 people over the course of 5 visits. However, I only met with the hiring manager once, for 30 minutes, and that was not until the 4th visit. Most of the interviews were with HR and other administrators (all of whom were very pleasant people). I felt that everyone involved in the process took it seriously, however there seemed to be something going on between the hiring manager and the people responsible for finding candidates and setting up interviews. In addition, although the job description was fairly thorough, there was a pretty severe disconnect between the job description and the understandings of the people I spoke with--including the hiring manager--about what the main responsibilities of the position were. All of this on the backdrop of the politics, egos, and territoriality of a large academic medical center undergoing rapid change.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you worked for so many different companies in the past 15 years?   View Answer