Medidata Solutions Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

A phone round to check the skills & your background with few technical questions. This was followed by an onsite interview, which had 4 rounds with 2 managers & 2 software engineers. 1st round with hiring manager gave a palindrome ques on white board. 2nd round database round gave a long complex sql query on white board. 3rd round was with another manager who scanned through the resume & asked about the technologies worked on in details, he also had a few oral data structures questions. 4th round was a complex problem to solve with data structures of my choice, it was probably to check my approach, interviewer was equally involved in it & again it was white board. 5th interviewer wasn't available that day & I got an early leave. Seemed like everything went well, I was hoping to get a positive response out of it. However, I haven't heard from the HR yet. Its been 2 weeks, they should at least get back with the response, whatever it is. The interview exp was really good, good environment, smart people, great location. The only drawback I would say is the HR not responding properly to the interview process.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions in June 2015.

Interview

They were professional and candid - felt like they truly were managing expectations properly. In talking to folks feel like make long-term / strategic decisions vs. optimizing the short term.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online through a job posting. Recruiter reached out to me for a quick phone screening. Then, had a longer phone screening interview with the hiring manager. I did not hear from them for over a week, but then I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. The interviewers were professional and posed scenarios in which I would have to explain what I would do in each situation. I was also asked about a product I like and what would I change to make it better. I was told I would hear from them within a week but never heard back from them.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Had a first round phone interview, then a second round in person interview, then had a third online meeting interview workshop. They did not give me a chance to prepare for the online presentation which required me to mock interview the panel and create a process from their interactions. The HR person kept leading me on telling me that he would let me know in a week, every week, until finally he just never got back to me. After a lengthy in person and online workshop, I thought they would at least have the decency to let me know a good old "thanks but no thanks" but apparently no.

Interview Questions

• Show us your process to make a design.   1 Answer

Medidata Solutions Response

Aug 24, 2015 – EVP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to give timely feedback and are sorry that, in this case, we did not close the loop in a timely manner. Medidata is growing and we have multiple qualified ... More

Dating Coding Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions.

Interview

It was a very brief phone interview. It was very casual. Was told to call back to meet the research team but due to another job offer I did not get this far.

Interview Questions

• Essentially just asked me what stuck out to me about the job and if I thought it matched what I wanted to be doing.   Answer Question

Big Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone screen after sending a mail regarding internship opportunities. The phone screen was entirely behavioral. The interviewer was extremely pleasant. Was contacted for an on-site interview shortly. The experience was extremely pleasant, right from the HR representative to the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen: Basic behavioral questions. Nothing you wouldn't expect. On-site interview: Hadoop architecture Hive, Pig questions Speculative execution How to handle NameNode failure? Find second highest salary(SQL) Why Medidata? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Discussed at length about the volunteer/social work experience from resume Bubble sort code Find pairs in an array whose sum is divisible by a certain number. Find number of occurrences of a character in a character array. How do you check the task ID of a process? How do you check if a service is installed in windows? What is MUTEX and semaphore? Was asked to answer a few Java questions on paper.(Most were basic questions) * What are web services? * What is Maven? Something about Maven targets was also asked. * What is the use of volatile keyword? * What are atomic classes in Java concurrency API? * Difference between final/finally/finalize * Name three design patterns   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview through conference calling, After a short interview (more of a walkthrough process) it became obvious the skills they wanted did not match my interests and discussions about alternate technical solutions were not appropriate. There was second interview scheduled but the person didn't show up at the call, waited for him and then dropped a mail to hr , she took 3 days to get back to me with a NO.

Interview Questions

• q: Difference between Sql and No sql , basic linux commands, and basic OOPs concept.   Answer Question

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied job through LinkedIn, followed up a couple of days later with the recruiter and got a call for a phone interview after a week. The phone call was pretty standard list of questions like describe job role, responsibilities, why Medidata and left some time for questions from my end. Got a call for in office interview in NYC with the entire team. The interview was lengthy with eight rounds of interview although the process was well organized and a lot of fun. Was given a hypothetical scenario where I had to design an account merge feature for LinkedIn. Quizzed by the interviewers around this for e.g. how will break the feature down into stories, how will you organize them, how will you test these features, give 5 +ve and 5 -ve test cases. A few interviewers had behavioral questions. Overall a very positive experience interviewing. At the end of the interview the recruiter gave me a round of the whole office, Must say the office is pretty cool and the recruiter (Sivadas Narayanan) was very friendly and courteous. The dress code in the office seemed very casual and every employee is given a choice on the laptops they can choose. Overall a great company. Would have definitely joined them if I hadn't received another offer for a job in California.

Interview Questions

• Design account merge feature on LinkedIn for someone who has multiple accounts under different email address on LinkedIn   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

HR reached out to me to set up a screen call. We had a nice conversation and few days later they set up a 30 min phone conversation with the group that I will be working with. I really liked the company and was pretty excited to speak with the team. But once I joined the call, things went south really quickly. There were 4 people on the phone (not including myself) and I had no idea who they were. The team lead did not bother introducing himself or anyone else and proposed that we just dive into the interview. Which we did and it was uncomfortable and unfriendly, at times felt almost hostile. The interview revolved around them grilling me on my knowledge of agile methodology, specifically the story estimation approach. I told them how I did it in my previous experience (which was not wrong according to PMI-ACP, just different from theirs). At one point I heard someone sneering on the phone. No questions were asked about how I ran my projects or my skills as someone who can deliver solutions. To the interviewing team, the adherence to the book written methodology was the most important factor. Needless to say I did not make it to the next round but I don’t think I wanted to after having this introduction to the very “un-agile” team.

Technical Communicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Medidata Solutions (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by an internal recruiter within a week of my initial application. A phone interview with two members of the team I'd potentially be joining was scheduled for the following week where I was asked general questions. At the end of the call I was told the recruiter would be getting in touch with me to schedule an in-person interview. The in-person interview lasted nearly 4 hours and involved meeting three people (two supervisors of the department and one employee) as well as an hour long skills test. At the end of it all, an additional person was brought in for me to meet with from a different department. I received a call that evening from the recruiter letting me know they'd be moving forward, and I had my offer letter within three days of my in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions such as: asking about my current experience and how that would translate to Medidata... Why Medidata? Do I enjoy collaborative environments? Am I familiar with agile development? Have I participated in SCRUM meetings? Where do I see myself in 5 years? What was the last book I read? Am I a member of any technical groups? What documentation tools do I use currently?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. I let the recruiter know where I'd like to be, and the exceeded my expectations.