Medtronic Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

R&D Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Medtronic.

I had one phone interview and an on site. The process was long. On site interview was hard, met with a lot of people, a lot of technical questions. They like talking about polymer degradation issue in their applications, seem to doubt that I'm not ready to transition from the academia.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of general polymer questions (the position was in the materials group). Nothing too difficult but you have to be prepared.   Answer Question

Clinical Data Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in February 2014.

There were 3 rounds of meeting. Than a competency test. During the interview there was also a video call with people involved in the recruitment process. The main interview last for 4 hours and was divided into different modules.

Interview Questions
    • what can I apply in my day to day job from my school experiences   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Medtronic in November 2012.

Took 4 months for the entire hiring process....way too long! Went to 4 different interviews. One was a 1 on 1 with the HR representative, the next was a 1 on 1 with another HR representative, then a 1 on 1 with the hiring manager, and finally a group interview with people in the department.

No negotiation

Regulatory Affairs Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Medtronic.

i met a recruiter at an industry trade show and began talking with him about specific roles in the company where I might be a good fit. After a phone screen to talk about my background and what I was looking for, he presented some opportunities that he would like to submit my information for. I was selected for an in-person interview and had 3 different rounds with a group of 3 interviewers twice and then an interview with the hiring manager. They use the STAR method and asked specific questions related to the company mission.

Interview Questions
    • How do you communicate quality throughout your organization and answer using the STAR method.   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Medtronic.

The second interview for a second position: I interviewed for the same position I had already very successfully done but in another department. Those I had worked for previously gave me rave recommendations. (I wish THAT department would rehire me!). I was told by the agent they wanted someone "yesterday" and would hire immediately. In all fairness, it seems that the opening I interviewed for just disappeared or never was. No other agent I work with ever saw it in the vendor WO portal. A very professional 20 or 30 something very cordially interviewed me watching the clock to keep me there the full hour; other than that, I thought the interview went well. Did not get the job, either because there was no job, or because I made a negative comment about a work tool, or because I am very obviously middle aged.

I had 2 interviews for temp positions both within six months of their not honoring a (at-will) "contract".
    The first one was a telephone interview, that I thought went well, but no offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about how (an internal) organizational tool works?   View Answer

Principal R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fridley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fridley, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in May 2010.

Typical hiring process with HR heavy influence on questions of times challenged or when you had to "go against the grain to get something done" although the reality is they don't really want this attitude. The best way to get into Medtronic is if you know somebody on the inside who can recommend you, they put much stock in prior reference from existing employees.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when management made a decision that you completely disagreed with, how did you respond?   Answer Question

Had better job at tome

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in March 2014.

Applied through Career Fair, then HR/Technical round (face to face interview), Did not get selected in this round(although was very simple), next was a phone interview by the manager, technical.
    Make sure to know about Medtronic really well, what they do, how did they start, current new technology. If you are part of IEEE or WIE or SWE, it is a plus point.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, simple questions like how will you manage when there is a conflict, what was your role in the team project, which domain would you be interested to work   Answer Question

Director of Training Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Medtronic.

Went through a pre-screening interview with HR and then an interview with a manager and then an executive. The first two parts were relatively normal and uneventful. However, the executive was a terrible experience and turned me off from the company.

Interview Questions
    • What personal projects do you have that would contribute to your work?   Answer Question

Interview with the executive was a terrible experience. She was scattered, unfocused and would not answer my questions. In addition, she was complaining about work she had to do on some unrelated project. That interview experience turned me off from Medtronic completely, especially since she is an executive that is supposed to lead.

Senior Director, R&D Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Medtronic in February 2010.

Odd step for doing a working test session as a mock senior leader in sales. It didn't bother me and I did well, but it was not tailored for the position -- sort of an example of odd policy decisions in hiring. Lots of meddling from very senior division leadership.

Interview Questions
    • Provide directional decisions for a sales group   View Answer
    Some negotiation on starting bonus, vacation

Diagnostics Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Medtronic in August 2014.

A recruiter from Medtronic called me and said my qualifications were great and wanted to set up an immediate interview the following week. Without any further information, I accepted.... afterall, I thought, this is MEDTRONIC. The hiring manager and recruiter both knew that I lived about 3 hours from the interview location. I showed up, went through the ENTIRE interview, only to find out at the end of the interview that this position was for a 30k base, 75k at plan. Please note, my resume clearly states my qualifications to FAR exceed this type of position. In fact, I have not been recruited for any position, for less than a 100k base, 200k at plan position in years. Upon the onset of the interview, I advised the hiring manager of my income expectations. At this point, any ethical (or common sense) manager would have informed me that I was over qualified. Instead, he tried to "sell" me on the product and how "real" sales reps are the ones that accept low bases and "work hard" for high paying commissions. No matter how you slice it, 75k is entry level. A 30k base, is for kids out of college! I wasted 6 hours of my life that I will never get back. This has, however, taught me a valuable lesson..... Dear Medtronic, you are completely delusional if you truly believe that "real" sales people are those that live on 30k base, and scrounge for commissions. The fact that you clearly hide the income expectations from the start, shows how unethical and cowardly you are. CAR SALESMAN make this type of income. I write this review.... as I feel it is my duty to warn all those who are naive about Medtronic as I once was. Run away! Any medical company that would pay a 30k base to a medical sales rep is one that does not respect their team. Once I was advised of the earning potential, I quickly ended the interview so that I could make the 3 hour trek home. Thanks Medtronic!

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your employment history   View Answer