Medtronic

3.1

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Clinical Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in March 2014.

Pick the right recruiter and getting an interview will be faster. Only pick 1 because you will get disqualified if you get submitted more than once. The first step is a phone interview with the manager and then a group interview with the PI and the rest of the coordinators.

Biomedical/Electrical Engineering Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in February 2014.

Met engineering manager at college career fair. After quick presentation he asked a few questions and collected my resume. Three weeks later I get a call by the HR department asking for an on-site interview (Northridge, CA) by the end of the week. Interview was with 6 different people: three 1:1 interviews with managers, 1 3-person panel technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself which is not on your resume. Explain the functioning principle of a FET transistor.   Answer Question

Medtronic Response

Mar 12, 2014Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the insights and feedback on interviewing with Medtronic!

Data Analyst and Database Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in February 2014.

Company took several weeks to get back with me in regards to my applications. The day of the face to face interview for the position of Data Analyst, the HR contact I was supposed to meet did not show up for work that day and no one had any idea where he was. This set off my interview schedule by 25 minutes and every interview was hurried as a result. There seemed to be no agreement between the interviewers on what the job entailed. I got the distinct impression that the problems being discussed by the interviewers had gone on for years. In the case of the second position of Database Marketing Manager, the problems had gone for years as well. I was rejected for both positions. Then 2 weeks after I was rejected for the second position, I was contacted by a staffing agency for the same job. This was after the company told me it had already hired someone else for the same job two weeks prior.

Interview Questions
    • There were some questions in regards to the Data Analyst position in regards to procurement.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in March 2013.

They didn't send you any emails to schedule a interview. Just call you.

Interview Questions
    • The question is not hard. Some basic concepts of OOD such as class object. And some java specific questions like interface and access control. Plus a little design pattern knowledge.   Answer Question

Summer Clinical Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Medtronic in March 2013.

I submitted my resume to the internship posting online and received a call a month later. I had a screening phone interview with the principal researcher. The questions were mostly about my resume. On-site interview was an hour. Given a clinical study to read for fifteen minutes and discuss. Also grilled for half hour by three other biostatisticians about my resume. Easy questions about different programming tools and my experience with them. Thought it went really well, but reject email before I even got home that day.

Biochemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

Straightforward process - talked with three people for ~30 minutes each. Each interviewer went through my resume and asked about future plans. Overall, all three interviewers were friendly and seemed enthusiastic about their work. I didn't get a chance to see much of the facilities. One interviewer asked for a referral after about two weeks, and then I never heard anything else from them.

Customer Service Representative -(Contractor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Medtronic in December 2012.

My interviewer was very knowledgeable about the company and had a specific type of person for the position. She was looking for someone who had empathy skills, a sincere desire to help others and someone who had the willingness to perform above the expected task.
    When I asked her about the company culture, she was enthusiastic about it, which gave me a positive impression about the company. She stated that the people there are like a family and that employees are definitely recognized for their hard work.

Interview Questions
    • Why work at Medtronic? What do you know about Medtronic? Why should I hire you?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation since I got the position through a temp agency.

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Medtronic in November 2012.

A few weeks after applying online, I got a phone interview followed by an on site interview which consisted of an interviewee presentation and one-on-one 30 minute interviews with would-be coworkers. My presentation was questioned, but not aggressively attacked. Nothing too intense.
    Most of the employees were cordial. Actually, I probably asked more questions than they asked me. They appeared to be a little weary from interviewing other candidates previously. I also sensed some apathy; it felt like they wanted to do good work, but the red tape was just overwhelming.
    The interview lasted about 6 hours with lunch provided, and ended with a programming session in MATLAB and using some of their data. I don't think the results of the programming session are taken too seriously. They just want to make sure you are comfortable with some basic programming.

Interview Questions
    • Before the on site interview started, the HR representative was insistent of me disclosing a previous salary and desired salary. I felt this to be rather pushy. I didn't encounter any questions during the actual interview that were too difficult. Much of the time was spent with the candidate asking interviewers about work-life balance, management structure, etc. One or two interviewers asked me about their products' limitations which I knew about from some previous online research. They also asked "why Medtronic?"   View Answer

The offer was low by industry standards and for someone with the candidate's experience and degree level. They appear to base their salary offers on what the job requires and not the candidate's qualifications. My advanced degree and previous work experience were verbally praised, but they didn't want to compensate for it.The offer was firm; they were not willing to negotiate at all.
    During attempts at negotiation, the hiring manager didn't contact me. My interaction was with the HR representative only, which I found a little odd. Prior to the on site interview, the same HR representative was very pushy about disclosure of previous salary and desired salary.
    The offer was also declined because of limited prospects afterwards; the job didn't involve developing any skills which would be too useful for anything else either within Medtronic or outside.
    The overall impression that I get is that Medtronic Diabetes is trying to grow, but there is quite a bit of red tape and internal divisions within the company. Employees mentioned long hours, but I sensed that those hours didn't often materialize into productivity.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Medtronic in July 2012.

four different manager from different level and department interviewed me. the total length of interview was 4 hours. the questions varies from very technical engineering questions to more management style and HR questions. just be ready to be positive.

Interview Questions
    due to fast process, no negotiate has been done.

Graduate Tech Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Medtronic in February 2012.

Initial Phone screening and then onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a map of gates and flip flops and find the inputs that will pass and those which fail   Answer Question