Meijer Interview Questions in Cincinnati, OH

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.3

Utility Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Meijer (West Chester, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

A few days after I filled out the application, they called me to conduct a short phone interview. Another interview was scheduled later that week in store. I was asked a lot of scenario questions that really had no relevance to the position, but the atmosphere was very laid-back and casual. I then had to go to another interview at the end of the week with the area manager and store manager. By their general attitude, I was convinced that I had the job. However, when weeks passed without contact from them about my background check, I decided to go with an offer I received from another grocery store. Overall, the interview process was easy, but I would have appreciated at least a call from them telling me that I did not get the job, because I thought that I had.

Fashion's Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Meijer (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy, I had to go through three interviews before I was hired. Each interview followed one another, and I am not sure if that was because I was hired at a job fair or not. A different person from other departments conducted each interview. The people who interviewed me were very friendly, and it was overall a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a difficult situation. How did you handle it?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Meijer (Cincinnati, OH) in November 2012.

Interview

I had started my application on the website, but I never finished it. I got a call from a manager asking me to come in for an interview. My first interview was with a different department manager. He said he would call me back the next day if they decided to go ahead with a second interview. I got a call a week later, asking me to come back in to meet with a department director. When I came in, he wasn't available so I met with the department manager. She sent me directly back to my third interview with the director of the store, who hired me on the spot, and they moved me into the secretary's office to start the paperwork. Initially, it felt like they didn't want me, and then all of a sudden it was rushed through, like they were desperate.

Interview Questions

• If we call you asking for you to come in on your day off, are you prepared to drop everything you're doing to come in?   1 Answer

Third Shift GM Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Meijer (Franklin, OH) in November 2012.

Interview

I filled out the application. A few days later, Meijer called and set up an interview. I had three interviews. The first was with the third shift first assistance. The second interview was with the 3rd shift store director in charge. After passing both of the interviews, the 3rd shift store director in charge set me up for an interview with the regular store director. After a brief interview, the store director told me that I was hired and sent me to another office to fill out some information so that they could set up a background check. My only complaint is that the whole process took a month! I know the store was busy, but most people will not wait that long before moving on.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Part time positions generally do not offer the ability to negotiate.

Store Director In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Meijer (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2009.

Interview

First a phone interview with recruiter and then a more in-depth in person interview with recruiter. She said she was very impressed and I would proceed to the next step. Next had an interview with one of the current Store Directors who said he would recommend me for the job. Then had one MORE in person interview with ANOTHER Store Director who also recommended that they hire me and said I would be hearing back from the recruiter. I waited for 2-3 weeks to hear from the recruiter and she never called to tell me whether I had the job or not. I called her several times but only got vmail before I FINALLY reached her and she said that they loved me but did not have a current opening and she would keep me in mind until she could find me a spot. Then a few months later I saw the same ad posted AGAIN for a Store Director in Training. I emailed the Recruiter to remind her that I was still interested and never heard back from her.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question
    • Do you have comfortable shoes because you won't be sitting down much.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Meijer (Middletown, OH) in July 2008.

Interview

I was called for the interview. I arrived 15-20 mins. early. Had to wait about 30 minutes before the customer service supervisor was available. She didn't ask me other than if I was still interested in the job (at the time for 3rds) and set me up to come back for orientation. She did acknowledge about me being early. There was only the one interview since it was for an hourly job. Meijer usually always needs help. Their turnaround for associates is very high. Someone is always new and someone is always quitting. When I did report for orientation. I once again had to wait about 20 minutes along with five other new hires to start. The orientation is rather lengthy with a boring video about the company and then numerous online videos to watch and quizzes to take. It takes about two days to do it all. As far as my concern their is no culture to work at Meijer. It's a job anyone can do if they are very much in need of a job ASAP.

Negotiation

The funny thing about the pay with Meijer, thanks to be in a union, is the raises are a joke. No 90 day raise. Depending on the number of hours you work in a year, that you put in, you could get...hold your breath and dime or nickel raise.