Meijer

Relevance Date Difficulty

Corporate Brands Specialist Interview

Corporate Brands Specialist
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Meijer in June 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was great, very straightforward and typical interview questions. I interviewed with 3 people, separately. The interview room was very small, so it was a little intimidating. The questions themselves were nothing out of the ordinary and I was able to provide good answers and examples. The hiring process did take some time, but was rather smooth once the initial offer was sent. I was able to negotiate the salary, which was greatly appreciated.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult task or problem you encountered and explain how you were successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy to negotiate.

Intern Interview

Intern
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Meijer.

Interview Details – I applied online. Around a month or two later, I received an e-mail telling me to sign up for an interview time. There was only one interview session. I first interviewed with two Meijer managers at the same time for 30 minutes and then interviewed with one Meijer Manager for 30 minutes. I received a call offering my the position around a week later.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly basic. They were mostly behavior type questions. Because my interview was for their e-commerce position, the asked me what I did and didn't like about their website and what my favorite website was and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations because it is an intern position.

Corporate Asset Protection Officer Interview

Corporate Asset Protection Officer
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Meijer.

Interview Details – The hiring process for my department was not well developed when I came on board. I believe the current process is to apply online, be contacted by an HR rep for a phone screen or initial interview. If you make it this far there will be an interview with the person who will be your boss and then a second interview with his or her boss. I also took a personality test.

Interview Question – They will go over some of your specific answers from the personality test during your second interview. This caught me off guard.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Meijer in March 2013.

Interview Details – Took about four weeks after applying to get a call. Had a scheduled phone interview and that went great, then I had an in person interview the following day. Called me a few hours later and gave me the job

Interview Question – How do you look at yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Retail Financial Engineer Interview

Retail Financial Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Meijer.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone and asked to schedule a phone interview. We played phone tag for about 2 days and then scheduled an interview for a week later. The interview was with the same woman who first contacted me, and was pretty straight forward. Most questions were behavioral with a couple that were unusual in my experiences. The phone call lasted about 25 minutes and I was told I would be contacted within 2 weeks to either schedule a face to face interview or be told I did not receive the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your group of friends caught on to a trend, and you were left behind?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you were presented with false information, and what did you do to solve the issue?   Answer Question

Merchandising Analyst Interview

Merchandising Analyst
WaLakeer, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Meijer in February 2012.

Interview Details – The most difficult part of the interview was with HR as they are trained professionals and are looking for specific things. The rest of the interview process went quick. Be sure to stress team values, have a few wins, and a few mistakes. They are looking for a problem, your solution and what the outcome was.

Interview Question – Tell me about a wrong decision that you made.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Never accept the first offer but be aware that typically you will only see at most a 2K increase in pay through negotiations so ask for more vacation time as this does not add to payroll and affect the balance sheet.

Also, if you plan on staying, jump from position to position after every 12 months as this will result in a higher % increase in base salary. If you stay in the same position, expect only a 2.75% increase in pay. The rule is a max 10% raise when switching positions or the min of the new position. If you switch positions after 12 months, your PAR will be rolled into the new salary, so always ask for a 10%-13% raise when taking on a new position.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Meijer in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal recruiter and the phone screen was professional. I was then asked to participate in an all day, on-site interview process. The overall interview experience was negative. Many of the interviewers were late; the senior leaders who interviewed me spoke more of themselves than delve into my background; in one case, a senior leader began to argue her point and the interview turned into a debate.

If you would like to work for a very traditional, heirarchical organziation, Meijer might be a good place for you. However, progressive and creative thinking was never mentioned during the interview process, so my take on it was that this competency is not valued across the organziation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to handle a very difficult problem. What was it and what did you do to solve the problem.   Answer Question
  • If I were to see your past development plans, what competencies would be identified?   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

Logistics
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Meijer in October 2010.

Interview Details – I originally signed up for an open interview slot on my Western Michigan's job/internship website to get the interview. I interviewed one on one with a Logistics professional from Meijer then was called the very next day to go out to Grand Rapids, MI to get interviewed by a 3 more people. I was notified of getting the internship within a couple of days.

Interview Question – What is 30 x 30 x 9?   View Answer

Merchandise Planner Interview

Merchandise Planner
Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Meijer in February 2009.

Interview Details – There were a total of three phone interviews: HR and two planning managers. The interviews weren't difficult, but it was a really long day and I had a hard time keeping track of all the different people who interviewed me. The day started with a (timed) assessment test (math, logic, personality questions). After the test I was on a tight schedule for interviews. One of the early interviewers ran late and that threw off the whole schedule. I didn't get to have lunch and some of the interviewers had to double up with me. After a few hours of answering the same questions over and over I was tired and hungry and just wanted to leave. I think this really started to show towards the end of the day. Of all the people I met, no one could tell who I would be working for (which I didn't like). Everyone I met was nice.

Interview Question – How do you calculate turn?   Answer Question

Human Resources Representative Interview

Human Resources Representative
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Meijer in August 2010.

Interview Details – Person was not very pleasant. She spoke in a demeaning way, as if talking down to me. This was the main office, not a store. If called, make sure you have many examples of "what happened when" stories.

Interview Question – Behavioral examples of strategic leadership within your position?   Answer Question

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!