Meijer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.3

Store Detective Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Meijer.

I applied online. Once they get to reviewing and sorting through applicants, you will receive a call for an interview if you are selected to move on in the process. From there it is the standard 2-3 interviews by various management staff (including the initial interview).

The first one will likely be with the [Market] Team Leader who will be your boss should you get the job. For the second interview, you will be interviewed at the store where you will be based. The third interview will be with Regional Manager (the Market Team Leader's Boss). From what I hear, depending on how badly they need more employees, you may not need to go to a third interview.

The interview was for what they call a "Store Detective Intern." After some training you will be promoted to Store Detective and receive a pay increase as well.

Programmer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Meijer.

Very technical thorough interview with a panel. Few rounds with different people. Be ready to explain your past experiences in detail. At times can get repetitive. Make sure to explain the latest trends in market

Interview Questions
    • Lot of SQL database related questions. Net, web based questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Meijer in March 2015.

I had three very quick interviews and they were all very easy. All of the interviewers were very nice. They all understood I had no job experience, or experiences with interviews, and helped me not feel stressed. They also understood that I could only work certain times during the week. They clearly state what the dress code is, what jobs I would do in my position, how my first few weeks would go, the pay, and other information I would need to know going into the job.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a used car in a car lot, what three words would you use to get me to buy you?   View Answer

Merchandising Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Meijer in February 2015.

Process was overall very good, they got back to me after a career fair and had initial interview right away. I passed this round and then invited on site for three interviews with HR and other managers. They were very easy to talk to and interested in learning about me and filling in the blanks where I did not understand things.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you should have asked for help, but didn't, and what was the outcome? How would you have responded to it differently?   Answer Question

Merchandise Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Meijer in February 2015.

After an on campus career fair, they held next day interviews. It was a 30 minutes interview. About a week later, I received a phone call from HR requesting a second round interview. They provided transportation to this interview in Grand Rapids, MI. The on site interview consisted of three 30-minute interviews and a personality/IQ assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when using email was not a sufficient form of communication.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Meijer.

It takes three interviews and hours of mindless tests that teach you nothing and is very redundant. You have to talk to the store director, your department manager, and another manager and they ask you tons of questions that don't really mean anything. As long as you can answer, you are all right. The computer training process is dumb and you will pass. They never give you any real training for the job.

GM Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Meijer.

Toured the store and talked with managers in three different departments, including the store manager. Questions were behavior-based for the most part. My conversation with the store manager centered around my school experience. I later heard that they were most impressed that I dressed up and was conscientious and articulate. All in all it was a painless and positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • This was my first job, so questions about previous customer service experience were a challenge. They understood and didn't really care that I couldn't answer.   Answer Question

Grocery Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Meijer.

Didn't hear back for two weeks after applying. Then had a panel interview at a hiring event. Then 2 weeks later I met with the store director and we discussed the position. I started working a week later.

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate pay and vacation time.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

I was interviewed by three different people from three different departments of Meijer. The first interview was the head pharmacist, the next two were team leaders from grocery and store management. I was impressed by the professionalism and thoroughness of the questions. Once I was hired there was a little bit of rushing through paper work and being asked to sign things that you didn't have the opportunity to read. They said, "don't worry, you'll have access to a copy that you can read later". Other than rushing through the new hire process I felt the standard/quality of the team leaders in all the departments was high and that most employees who had been at the store for a long time appreciated the company enough to remain lifers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an unethical situation that you were forced into and and how you responded.   View Answer
    They said, "Your starting pay is 9/hr." I said, "Ok."

GM Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Meijer.

The process has changed since I got hired several years ago. Got a phone call to set up a time for an interview. Went in and the interview lasted 20 minutes at the most. Only had one interview with my current manager and started within the next couple weeks. Now all candidates go through at least 2 or 3 interviews and start within a couple weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell them a time at work when I had to make a difficult ethical choice.   View Answer
    Since my job is in retail there really isn't any negotiation.