Melissa & Doug

29 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied online and interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Interview Details – The meeting was spent primarily listening to the CEO's right hand telling me what they wanted. This was done while his feet were up on the chair next to me. When I was asked a question, my response was not listened to in depth and I was then immediately asked another question....felt like a firing squad.

Reason for Declining – reputation and culture were not for me.

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales

Interviewed at Melissa & Doug

Interview Details – There was not a single time or moment in a any description or email correspondence prior to an initial phone interview where this position was listed as INSIDE sales only. Basically, you never leave your phone or desk.

Interview Question – Do you prefer closing over the phone or face-to-face?   View Answer

Senior Sales Analyst Interview

Senior Sales Analyst
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in January 2014.

Interview Details – The entire interview process was unique in that there were many different excercises and questions asked. These are all designed to help determine if a basic required skill set was held by the respective employee as well as give both the candidate and the Company a feel for if the fit is right. The extended interview process also gives the candidate the opportunity to fully experience what a day (or days) in the working environment would be like. Also based on the way the exercises went, strengths and interests are identified that may not have ordinarily been noted through a regular interview.

Interview Question – While it was told ahead of time that it would be a potentially full day interview, I wasnt prepared for a full 9-6 day my first day of interveiwing. I was glad for it, but at the same time it was a very long day, and mentally exahsting!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very involved, fair and balanced. Since the process was open and communication channels were clear from the begining there were no surprises and no battle and not a lot of back and forth. The offer and subsequent negotiations were fair and reasonable for both parties.

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in March 2014.

Interview Details – After the initial phone interview, you may be invited to come in and experience the company. You get to meet people that work there and speak with them about their jobs. You sit with sales people and you are able to see what you would be doing.

Interview Question – They ask you to role play an actual sales call. They want you to be able to small talk with the client.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in March 2013.

Interview Details – Worst experience ever. The phone screen was normal but the in person was a series of tests and stunts to see if you are childish enough to fit their environment.

Interview Question – At the in person, I did not even get to speak to the hiring manager to talk about how my skills could an asset.   Answer Question

Forecasting Manager Interview

Forecasting Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in July 2012.

Interview Details – HORRIBLE - I never once got to speak to anyone about my skill set. I was brought in for a full day, given a desk and asked to do 2nd grade math and word problems for 6 hours. What a joke and a waste of time.

Interview Question – There were no questions! I literally did word problems ALL DAY!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I would never work at this place in a million years

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Wilton, CT

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Interview Details – I applied online and had a phone interview followed by a face to face and skills test. Total process took about two weeks.
This place was a total joke! I went inside and got a tour with the HM which I found unnecessary until I actually worked there but whatever. I was placed at a desk with some assignments that I had to do. Every few minutes the Hiring manager would come over and give me specific times to do something whether it be remind her to do something, or find a specific person who I didn't know and give them a message, it was completely ridiculous! Not only that but the sales team was right next to me singing karaoke and came right over and asked me to sing. I was there for maybe 2 hours and at one point I went to use the bathroom and this women came in and started being overly friendly in making conversation and then wanted to show me where the break room was and get coffee. I didn't want to be rude so I followed her but had to eventually cut her off because I had deadlines in my tasks, one of which I missed by 2 minutes.
At that point the hiring manager came over and said ok ill show you out! We walked to the elevator and she said that she felt the job would be too fast paced for me to handle but would I want a customer service position. That was ridiculous because everything else I did was flawless! The more I thought about it, I believe that everything down to the woman in the restroom was planted, staged, fake!!! Don't waste your time....crazy people!!!

Interview Question – I can't remember any questions out of the norm   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I knew after 20 minutes there that it wasn't a fit for me. I was offered a customer service position which I didn't even apply or interview for, and politely said no thanks and left.

Design Interview

Design
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview followed by a 6-hour work day. The people I spoke with were friendly and respectful during both.

The work day interview was 6 hours long and consisted of creating designs on an outdated PC with malfunctioning software. I was given no reference materials or specific instructions and there is no internet access to gain reference before starting.

The environment felt depressing - very little talking or communication between co-workers; bleak, dirty carpets and work stations; one big, open room with desks facing walls so that the worker couldn't see much of what was going on but the space behind was open for walking through (no privacy at all). There were many empty desks and other job candidates doing their 6-hour working interview at the same time.

The workday is very long (10 hours), with a closely monitored 30-minute break. My lunch break interview went a few minutes over and the HR person made a remark about it. I was asked by both the hiring manager and HR if I understood how long the work day is. I found it ironic that the company intentionally looks for employees who have children and yet makes them work a 10 hour day. There is no work-life balance here. They want parents as employees strictly for their own purposes -- because they will better understand toy buying.

In the end, I was hurriedly ushered out of the office by the hiring manager (I felt like I was being fired and walked out), and told that it may or may not be a good fit.

As a note, my free design work was kept by the company.

Interview Question – Are you okay with working a 10-hour work day?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Wilton, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in October 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed back at the end of October of 2013 and absolutely loved it. The atmosphere is fun, laid back, and a family feel. You can tell everybody there really enjoys what they do, they laugh, they sing, and it’s okay to take a breath. The process is not for everyone if you have a pulse and are just going through life THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU. But if you enjoy great people, could take great laugh, and are living life THIS IS THE JOB FOR YOU!!! I read through a lot of these interview reviews and there are a lot of untruths. Such as you being offered a position after the first interview it doesn’t exist no one is offered a position after the first interview. If you want to know what the process is truly like go through it but these people are all disgruntled and take life a little too serious.

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Wilton, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in December 2013.

Interview Details – This place is not in any way normal. Everyone is fake. Every part of the interview process is meant to trick you, from the simplest of things like your freaking parking spot. They make you do all of these random tasks and assignments without getting to know you in the slightest. Everyone sitting in the Customer Service section is unhappy. They listen to people while rolling their eyes and then put them on mute to let the person shadowing them know how stupid and annoying they are....great customer service there! They string you along for hours and then leave it at "think about if you really want this then get in contact with us" um, no thanks. I'll pass!

Interview Question – Can you handle our awesome, fun, loud environment?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Melissa & Doug

Worked for Melissa & Doug? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Melissa & Doug interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Melissa & Doug employees and interview candidates.