Melissa & Doug

33 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Interview

Administrative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was recruited by their HR department through LinkedIn and brought in for an interview after an initial screening phone call. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the negative reviews on here and the negative press, but I like to form my own opinions about things and decided to see for myself what the company was like.

The interview for me lasted from 9:15am until 5:15pm with a half hour lunch break. Note, I say for me because I had started with 2 others and they left at different times as they were interviewing for different roles and had different projects. The process involved completing a few projects, completing a questionnaire, and interviewing with the CEO.

The process was long, but not degrading. They sat me at a desk among a number of sales and customer service(?) employees. I did not experience harassment or experience any negative behavior on the part of the staff like others had mentioned. I actually thought that the staff was pretty friendly towards me during the whole process. The tasks were not especially difficult. However, the questionnaire that I was asked to fill out was really long and took up a large portion of my time to complete so I didn't have as much time to do that many work related projects. In my opinion, I think that it would be better for them to ask their candidates to fill this out in advance as to give them more time to complete more work related projects, thus seeing more of a candidate's true abilities.

As far as negatives go, I would have liked to have had a little more structure in the process, a chance to really talk to employees that I would be working directly with, and more of an opportunity to show my skills, but then again I do have a background in recruiting so I'm sure that I am a bit biased towards my way of doing things. Overall, the process was not as bad as others made it out to be and I was glad that I had given it a chance.

In the end, they told me that they didn't have a position that would fit my abilities and what I wanted to do (they say that they hire people and not positions), but that they would keep me in their pipeline.

Interview Question – What would you like your role to be? (Tough for someone who likes to learn and do a lot of different things.)   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in August 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter who was very friendly and nice. It was a preliminary interview and she explained the interview process to me and asked about salary. I wasn't asked many background/screening questions but I think they look for friendly people who are enthusiastic as a first step.

Interview Question – I was not asked very many questions   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Interview Details – The place was super unorganized and hectic. They wanted me to work from 9am to 6pm and take a 30min lunch. You can't leave the campus when you take lunch. Your options are to bring lunch and it in the lunch room or order lunch and eat it in the lunch room. They had people coming up behind me and screaming in my ear trying to distract me so I would make mistakes. This was all crazy but it got worse when they EXPECTED me to perform karaoke in front of the entire warehouse as part of the job interview process. Not a place to work if you like even the slightest bit of structure and or if you have ADD/ADHD or any thing that can distract you. Truly an awful experience. I chose to leave before the interview was complete because it wasn't the right work environment for me. People were loud, obnoxious, deliberately distracting, and were dressed in pajamas and slippers. Really unprofessional! The sales people were cursing on the phone and saying obscene things. I was stunned.

Interview Question – They didn't ask me questions. They just gave me a task and stuck me at a desk.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Accounting Interview

Accounting
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was asked to come in for an interview on a particular day and was told that the interview could take anywhere from 1 to 8 hours, depending on how things went. I arrived at the location and was greeted warmly by a recruiter. I was accompanied by 4 other candidates, some were applying for accounting roles and others for sales. We were seated around a table and told that we would embark on a typical workday at Melissa & Doug. Basically, we would report to our workstations and be assigned work and, if we did anything that Melissa & Doug's HR or other staff didn't like, we'd be asked to leave. So, I was escorted to my 'temporary' workstation. I was assigned the simple task of summing up some figures on a spreadsheet and was asked to contact 'Joe' and ask him to help me with something. I finished the spreadsheet task and then attempted to contact Joe. About an hour into my 'workday', I was told that I was fired and asked to leave because my spreadsheet skills were unacceptable. From summing up a few figures on a spreadsheet...weird. I don't know if it was an excuse because I displayed another trait they didn't like, but I was quite relieved to leave. The whole process was bizarre and unsettling. They escorted me out of the building like I was some type of security risk, and I've never been happier leaving an interview, knowing that I didn't get the job. Relief!

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied online and interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Interview Details – The meeting was spent primarily listening to the CEO's right hand telling me what they wanted. This was done while his feet were up on the chair next to me. When I was asked a question, my response was not listened to in depth and I was then immediately asked another question....felt like a firing squad.

Reason for Declining – reputation and culture were not for me.

Interviewed at Melissa & Doug

Interview Details – There was not a single time or moment in a any description or email correspondence prior to an initial phone interview where this position was listed as INSIDE sales only. Basically, you never leave your phone or desk.

Interview Question – Do you prefer closing over the phone or face-to-face?   View Answer

Senior Sales Analyst Interview

Senior Sales Analyst
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in January 2014.

Interview Details – The entire interview process was unique in that there were many different excercises and questions asked. These are all designed to help determine if a basic required skill set was held by the respective employee as well as give both the candidate and the Company a feel for if the fit is right. The extended interview process also gives the candidate the opportunity to fully experience what a day (or days) in the working environment would be like. Also based on the way the exercises went, strengths and interests are identified that may not have ordinarily been noted through a regular interview.

Interview Question – While it was told ahead of time that it would be a potentially full day interview, I wasnt prepared for a full 9-6 day my first day of interveiwing. I was glad for it, but at the same time it was a very long day, and mentally exahsting!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very involved, fair and balanced. Since the process was open and communication channels were clear from the begining there were no surprises and no battle and not a lot of back and forth. The offer and subsequent negotiations were fair and reasonable for both parties.

Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in March 2014.

Interview Details – After the initial phone interview, you may be invited to come in and experience the company. You get to meet people that work there and speak with them about their jobs. You sit with sales people and you are able to see what you would be doing.

Interview Question – They ask you to role play an actual sales call. They want you to be able to small talk with the client.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in March 2013.

Interview Details – Worst experience ever. The phone screen was normal but the in person was a series of tests and stunts to see if you are childish enough to fit their environment.

Interview Question – At the in person, I did not even get to speak to the hiring manager to talk about how my skills could an asset.   Answer Question

Forecasting Manager Interview

Forecasting Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Melissa & Doug in July 2012.

Interview Details – HORRIBLE - I never once got to speak to anyone about my skill set. I was brought in for a full day, given a desk and asked to do 2nd grade math and word problems for 6 hours. What a joke and a waste of time.

Interview Question – There were no questions! I literally did word problems ALL DAY!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I would never work at this place in a million years

Interviews for Top Jobs at Melissa & Doug

Worked for Melissa & Doug? Contribute to the Community!