Melissa & Doug

Melissa & Doug Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Met the company at a career fair on campus. I got an interview from a career fair. The interview was pretty straight forward no tough questions. The interviewer was nice and understanding, most questions were team focused questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge situation and how did you handle it in your past job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Got a phone call from the HR person after i applied on their website. I did apply to the very same position through a recruitment agency months ago and never heard from them.
    Interview lasted for about 45 minutes, where i have been asked behavioral questions and a role play (sell apples to a client).
    From there, i have been scheduled to an interview in their NY office. I was there for about 3,5 hours, tough when you did not plan to stay that long.
    I had another role play with the same HR person and then went on the sales floor (about 25 people work there) to listen to 2 sales reps.
    When i thought it was over, i had one last interview and a role play with the manager there, very laid back, maybe too much for me. He cut the interview short and went to talk to the HR person for a minute before telling me that i should expect a phone call/ mail next week to let me know if they want to go further.
    I should have received a yes or a no answer, about 2 weeks ago but nothing, and i do not have any regret, maybe because i read too many reviews so i kinda know what to expect.

Interview Questions
    • role play, sell a toy to an existing cutomer   View Answer

Inside Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Melissa & Doug.

First was a phone interview where I was called and put on the spot. I was on vacation at the time and had no idea they would be expected to participate in a phone interview. The call lasted over an hour and I had to do several sales pitches. I got a second round interview and was asked to go to the NYC office. The actual interview last about a half hour and then I 'shadowed' a girl for three hours. Meaning I sat with her at her desk and listened in to her sales calls. She would often put the call on mute and talk about how stupid some of the customers were, or roll her eyes when they told her they haven't been selling a certain toy very well. I understand her job is frustrating, but I thought it was so unprofessional to act that way in front of an interviewee. I was then asked to come in for another interview, this time at their corporate HQ in Connecticut. I was there for 8 hours. I had to take 3 different written tests, as well as subtle tests. HR told me to come in to their office at certain times to check in, no matter where I was during the tests. This was their way of checking how well I listen/pay attention. They sat me at a desk in the middle of the room and employees there kept coming up to me to distract me. They would ask me to come get coffee with them, they would sit on my desk so it was impossible to even do my test, and one even asked me to perform a karaoke song. He pulled out a karaoke machine and everything. Luckily I saw through this and made it to HR at all the appropriate times. They noted that most applicants don't get to them at the exact time they were asked and I can see why. After my tests, I had a short interview with the Head of sales. I then spent the remaining 5 hours listening in on peoples calls again. I sat with three different people and had nothing to do but listen. I then had a closing interview with HR where I was asked to give examples of what I listened to and was tested on everyone's name that I met with that day... even the random people that stopped at my desk during my tests. I was then given homework with very specific instructions. I was asked to come back several times during the next two months. Each interview was probably three hours long, and the majority of that time was listening in on phone calls. Each time I came back I was told my the Head of Sales that they really liked me and wanted to hire me but I just need to come in a few more times to prove myself. I had a total of 8 interviews, I passed all their tests, passed their background check, had to take days off from work, and spent a ton in gas and tolls traveling to CT from NY, just to receive a two sentence email saying they were 'going in a different direction'. I called them to follow up this email, and asked if there was anything I could have done differently, what went wrong, etc. They bluntly said I was too young. I am 23, so yes, I am young, but they knew my age 8 interviews ago! So I think that response was total BS. They led me on for months promising me a job and then did not even have the decency to tell me a real reason as to why I was rejected.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to perform Karaoke during a writing test they had given me   Answer Question

Illustrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Melissa & Doug in November 2014.

After reading the negative reviews about the interview process, I was honestly scared to step into the door, but I wasn’t going to let it stop me, and it shouldn't stop you either. The interview process isn't as bad as most say, at least for creative roles. I'm not sure if sales still do karaoke, I didn't hear any while I was there. If you're going for an artistic role, don't worry there is no karaoke.

The only thing that caught me off guard was the first interview phone call, I didn't get an email before hand to prepare myself, it was very sudden. There was a second scheduled phone interview, which is worked out over email. You will talk to the Hiring Manager and if they like your work enough, the Creative Director. If your work is a good match for their needs, you'll be invited to meet in person.

If you live far away, they might give you extra time to drive there, my evaluation day lasted from 10:30-4:30. First you'll meet the Hiring Manager and will be placed at your temp desk for the day. There is the option to grab breakfast, if you didn't eat before coming. If they offer you lunch do take advantage of it, you don't have to pay!

The office is rather open and the cubicles are fairly spacious. Before sitting down you'll be given a list of sample projects and you'll briefly meet with the project lead. Everyone including the employees are super nice and some offered to answer questions if I had any. The projects given are to evaluate your skill on the job. 6 hours sounds long, but it's nothing when you're creating artwork. I got a list of 4 projects, you are not going to finish all of these, so choose 2 that you think you complete to showcase your skills.

Lunch lasts from 1-1:30. During lunch you'll talk to the Creative Director. This will be like a second interview, so be prepared. They work 10 hour days and every second counts so this is considered free time. I'm not too sure if there are breaks otherwise. People also snack at their desk later in the day, I heard rustles of chip and snack bar wrappers. There was some light chatter in the office, but nothing very loud, everyone was there to work.

As many have said there isn't any personal internet access. If you need reference images, there's a reference book floating around. Unfortunately what I had to draw wasn't in the book, so I drew from my memory. If you can't build a drawing from your memory or can't draw without heavy reference, this job would be incredibly difficult.

Computer wise I worked on a PC in Photoshop and Illustrator CS5, using Windows 7, on a small Wacom Intuos 4. I work on a medium Intuos 4 at home so my hand cramped up a bit by the end of the day. Whoever said they use Windows XP and other out dated software is wrong; however sales computers might be different.

Overall my experience was positive, so if you're up for it, give it a shot!

Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Melissa & Doug in November 2014.

I interviewed with Melissa & Doug this past week. I have worked in Human Resources/Staffing for over 10 years and have been on the other side of the interview desk for as long. I've seen the inside of several large companies like GE, IBM, ADP, and several others that I can reference.

What I witnessed during my interview process was very different. In fact, it was the most thorough, transparent, and fit seeking process I have ever been a part of. After I spent time there, I realized why.

The environment that I witnessed during my visit to the Melissa & Doug facility was not one I have seen before. Many companies talk about fostering creativity, openness, and a truly casual yet effective culture but very few are able to pull it off. Melissa & Doug carve away the politics and focus on what each person is very good at.

The company DOES have a different style than your average “corporate office” and I had to “see” it to really grasp what that meant. They ARE hardworking. But, hardworking does not mean “unhappy”! I didn’t meet one person that didn’t LOVE their job. That spoke to me, as did the stable and long-term tenure of most associates there. Not to mention, they have very low turnover. They are also well compensated for their time. When your day is done – it’s done. I have never had a job that didn’t infringe upon my family and their time. That is not the culture here.

They look for individuals that will fit into their world. And as I said – it’s a rare one. If you want to wear a suit and tie to work and meet just for the sake of meeting...this is not your company. If you want to get down to your core passion for work, drive impact, and help parents/children have access to award winning enrichment products on the shelves? Then this might be the place for you.

The interview process has to be thorough and extensive because the people they need to work there are just as unique as their culture and style. After meeting with Melissa & Doug and their leadership team personally, there is no gray area for me. The entire core and foundation of this company is built on the passion to support children, parents, and businesses out there but also the people that work there. They are like one big wonky family...with quirks and all. I don’t know yet if I will be offered the position but I do know this...I want to be part of the Melissa & Doug culture. They’re doing it right.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all on par with what you would expect for the skill level needed. The interview team is very good at probing to get deeper into your answer and understand what you are hoping to illustrate. I found this refreshing. The team also applies your answers to their business and asks for real example of how your answer could play out in their environment. They are very thorough.   Answer Question
    Big picture. They focus on total compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Melissa & Doug in August 2014.

Contacted by recruiter who was very friendly and nice. It was a preliminary interview and she explained the interview process to me and asked about salary. I wasn't asked many background/screening questions but I think they look for friendly people who are enthusiastic as a first step.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Melissa & Doug.

The place was super unorganized and hectic. They wanted me to work from 9am to 6pm and take a 30min lunch. You can't leave the campus when you take lunch. Your options are to bring lunch and it in the lunch room or order lunch and eat it in the lunch room. They had people coming up behind me and screaming in my ear trying to distract me so I would make mistakes. This was all crazy but it got worse when they EXPECTED me to perform karaoke in front of the entire warehouse as part of the job interview process. Not a place to work if you like even the slightest bit of structure and or if you have ADD/ADHD or any thing that can distract you. Truly an awful experience. I chose to leave before the interview was complete because it wasn't the right work environment for me. People were loud, obnoxious, deliberately distracting, and were dressed in pajamas and slippers. Really unprofessional! The sales people were cursing on the phone and saying obscene things. I was stunned.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask me questions. They just gave me a task and stuck me at a desk.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Melissa & Doug in July 2014.

I was recruited by their HR department through LinkedIn and brought in for an interview after an initial screening phone call. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the negative reviews on here and the negative press, but I like to form my own opinions about things and decided to see for myself what the company was like.

The interview for me lasted from 9:15am until 5:15pm with a half hour lunch break. Note, I say for me because I had started with 2 others and they left at different times as they were interviewing for different roles and had different projects. The process involved completing a few projects, completing a questionnaire, and interviewing with the CEO.

The process was long, but not degrading. They sat me at a desk among a number of sales and customer service(?) employees. I did not experience harassment or experience any negative behavior on the part of the staff like others had mentioned. I actually thought that the staff was pretty friendly towards me during the whole process. The tasks were not especially difficult. However, the questionnaire that I was asked to fill out was really long and took up a large portion of my time to complete so I didn't have as much time to do that many work related projects. In my opinion, I think that it would be better for them to ask their candidates to fill this out in advance as to give them more time to complete more work related projects, thus seeing more of a candidate's true abilities.

As far as negatives go, I would have liked to have had a little more structure in the process, a chance to really talk to employees that I would be working directly with, and more of an opportunity to show my skills, but then again I do have a background in recruiting so I'm sure that I am a bit biased towards my way of doing things. Overall, the process was not as bad as others made it out to be and I was glad that I had given it a chance.

In the end, they told me that they didn't have a position that would fit my abilities and what I wanted to do (they say that they hire people and not positions), but that they would keep me in their pipeline.

Interview Questions
    • What would you like your role to be? (Tough for someone who likes to learn and do a lot of different things.)   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

The meeting was spent primarily listening to the CEO's right hand telling me what they wanted. This was done while his feet were up on the chair next to me. When I was asked a question, my response was not listened to in depth and I was then immediately asked another question....felt like a firing squad.

reputation and culture were not for me.

Inside Sales Interview

There was not a single time or moment in a any description or email correspondence prior to an initial phone interview where this position was listed as INSIDE sales only. Basically, you never leave your phone or desk.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer closing over the phone or face-to-face?   View Answer