Mellon Capital Management

Very Easy Interview

Investment Fund Accountant Interview

Investment Fund Accountant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mellon Capital Management in April 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call to set up an interview with 6 managers as well as director of Fund Accounting. Interview took just over an hour and was very typical and casual. I received an offer the very next day and began within a few weeks. They really like internal transfers from BNY Mellon, but also try to look outside of the company.

Interview Question – Very basic questions. Interview was not difficult and very casual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate as an internal transfer, but did receive a raise within a month of accepting.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mellon Capital Management in April 2013.

Interview Details – Began with a phone interview out of New York. I received the request three weeks after submitting my resume. Was invited in for an interview in San Francisco. I had three interviews with 7 employees. One interview had four employees sitting in.

Interview Question – If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?   View Answer

Senior Investment Strategist Interview

Senior Investment Strategist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Mellon Capital Management in June 2012.

Interview Details – Extensive process involving phone and in person interviews with nearly a dozen people.
You will be asked about your wilingness to travel. You will need to travel at least 50% of the time, sometimes a little less or a little more. Helpful if you have interest in respresenting investment strategies without actually managing any portfolios. Good if you have decent presentation skills.

Interview Question – What is the difference between Information and Sharpe Ratios?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The firm is bleeding clients, assets and revenues. Has also been continually laying off employees. So, be realistic.

Client Operations Interview

Client Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Mellon Capital Management.

Interview Details – Process was very unorganized. Follow through was not timely. I showed up to pick up my drug test info and the front desk had no idea who I was, I had to reschedule. People I interviewed with were more interested in venting about their frustrations rather than asking relevant questions.

Interview Question – One of the senior managers in a portfolio management group asked that I complete an Excel spreadsheet to test my aptitude with Excel. I was allowed to do this outside of the interview and could have had my roommate complete it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate for what you want up front, once you are in the door raises are not significant anymore.

Fund Accountant Interview

Fund Accountant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mellon Capital Management in April 2011.

Interview Details – I received a call from HR and scheduled an interview the following week. The interview was very informal and mellow. I received a phone call the following day and an offer was presented.

Compliance Interview

Compliance
San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mellon Capital Management in December 2010.

Interview Details – I had a few interiews with this organisation. Its been a few months, haven't heard from them. I have contacted their HR a few times and they kept telling me they'll notify me on the decision and never did. My first interview and third interview went great. The second one was ok. In general I understood that these people don't know what they are looking for. They had the opening for months. I know understand that I wouldn't want to work there as they don't show respect towards potential candidates. Plus the whole office wasmessy and as far as I understood their working style is also not very organized.

Interview Question – What are your strengths ? What kind of challenges did you overcome? Why do you want to work for MCM?   Answer Question

Compliance Interview

Compliance

Interviewed at Mellon Capital Management

Interview Details – I don't know what other interviewees were thinking, but if you haven't heard from the company in 3 months, you don't need to call HR to figure out you aren't MCM material. And they are a bit disorganized, but just like that colleague with piles of old papers everywhere, they always know where everything is. To top it off, they've even passed the majority of their audits and SEC inquiries!

Interview Question – How do you deal with "ambiguity"?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Mellon Capital Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mellon Capital Management interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mellon Capital Management employees and interview candidates.