Mellon Capital Management

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.4

Trading Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management.

I applied back in July and didn't receive a call back from HR until early November. Apparently, it is a new role and they were waiting for the go ahead to hire. Once I received a call from HR, the process took about two weeks. The usual HR phone interview, then a phone interview with one of the senior traders. Must be able to show interest in the market and the position to move on to the in-person round. The in-person interview consisted of 3 1:1 with the Director and two VPs of trading. There were some arithmetic questions and behavioral questions, no technical questions. It's also important to keep up with current events and the market as it applies to each interviewer. Two weeks after the in-person interview, I was notified that they had selected another candidate with more experience. Overall, the experience was positive and I had a chance to meet some great people in the trading group.

Interview Questions
    • What created the 2008 market crash? The people who pushed the option arm loans to the borrowers or the people who packaged those loans?   Answer Question

Client Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management.

Process was very unorganized. Follow through was not timely. I showed up to pick up my drug test info and the front desk had no idea who I was, I had to reschedule. People I interviewed with were more interested in venting about their frustrations rather than asking relevant questions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the senior managers in a portfolio management group asked that I complete an Excel spreadsheet to test my aptitude with Excel. I was allowed to do this outside of the interview and could have had my roommate complete it.   Answer Question
    Negotiate for what you want up front, once you are in the door raises are not significant anymore.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management in April 2013.

Began with a phone interview out of New York. I received the request three weeks after submitting my resume. Was invited in for an interview in San Francisco. I had three interviews with 7 employees. One interview had four employees sitting in.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?   View Answer

Senior Investment Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management in June 2012.

Extensive process involving phone and in person interviews with nearly a dozen people.
    You will be asked about your wilingness to travel. You will need to travel at least 50% of the time, sometimes a little less or a little more. Helpful if you have interest in respresenting investment strategies without actually managing any portfolios. Good if you have decent presentation skills.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between Information and Sharpe Ratios?   Answer Question
    The firm is bleeding clients, assets and revenues. Has also been continually laying off employees. So, be realistic.

Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management in April 2011.

I received a call from HR and scheduled an interview the following week. The interview was very informal and mellow. I received a phone call the following day and an offer was presented.

Investment Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management in April 2011.

I received a phone call to set up an interview with 6 managers as well as director of Fund Accounting. Interview took just over an hour and was very typical and casual. I received an offer the very next day and began within a few weeks. They really like internal transfers from BNY Mellon, but also try to look outside of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions. Interview was not difficult and very casual.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as an internal transfer, but did receive a raise within a month of accepting.

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mellon Capital Management in December 2010.

I had a few interiews with this organisation. Its been a few months, haven't heard from them. I have contacted their HR a few times and they kept telling me they'll notify me on the decision and never did. My first interview and third interview went great. The second one was ok. In general I understood that these people don't know what they are looking for. They had the opening for months. I know understand that I wouldn't want to work there as they don't show respect towards potential candidates. Plus the whole office wasmessy and as far as I understood their working style is also not very organized.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths ? What kind of challenges did you overcome? Why do you want to work for MCM?   Answer Question

Compliance Interview

I don't know what other interviewees were thinking, but if you haven't heard from the company in 3 months, you don't need to call HR to figure out you aren't MCM material. And they are a bit disorganized, but just like that colleague with piles of old papers everywhere, they always know where everything is. To top it off, they've even passed the majority of their audits and SEC inquiries!