Mellow Mushroom

Updated Oct 1, 2014
Updated Oct 1, 2014

1.1

Hostess and Waitress Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Mellow Mushroom.

When I first applied they said that they weren't hiring, but would keep my application. Three weeks later, though, they called me with an opening and had me come in for an interview. I met with the manager and she asked questions about my application, which had very creative questions and even a portion where you draw a picture (which it turns out that you have to do or they will not even consider an interview). Then they have me a project to do to show my interest. Because I was an art major at the time, I had to create a new sign for the front of the restaurant telling customers whether to: "please wait to be seated" or to "seat yourself." They liked it and hired me.

Interview Questions
    • Are you better at detailed singular tasks or completing tasks at once?   Answer Question
    There wasn't one.

Server Interview

Had a quick chat with the manager, basically asked if i could multitask and be on time. It was not a difficult interview. It helps if you know people that can vouch for you.

Kitchen Interview

Short 15 minute interview no real interest in my answers. Granted, this was before the restaurant opened, so they probably just wanted to fill staff. The owners and actual management were not present for the interview.

None

Kitchen Staff and Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, LA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mellow Mushroom.

It was really laid back, I had some friends who already worked there so it was just a good word that got me hired. I had some really basic interview questions that were simple and easy. I think it was more of a formality because my buddies had the job locked up for me anyhow.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to draw a picture of something that I liked on my job application.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, I accepted the job and started as a dishwasher, and worked my way up to kitchen staff and a server.

Server Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mellow Mushroom in May 2014.

I printed out the application from their website and called the store to ask when a good time would be to come by and drop it off. When I walked in the manager interviewed me - basic, simple questions about my resume, no real drilling questions. I was asked to come in the next day by the hiring manager, who sat down with me and essentially offered me the job then and there. Very easy and relaxed process.

Server, Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Mellow Mushroom.

Fill out application form then speak with a manager for 10 minutes

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mellow Mushroom.

Met with new owners of restaurant. Owners were trying to find the collective vibe for their restaurant and wanted it to match the laidback environment they had seen at other locations.

Kitchen Prep Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clemson, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clemson, SC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mellow Mushroom in July 2011.

I was called about a two or three weeks after I put in an application. The manager/owner needed someone to work on the weekend and I was the first person that responded on the list and everything was good from there. I more or less had to convince him that I was his best option considering the time notice.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mellow Mushroom in February 2008.

Simple, and very laid back. If you have experience you will get the job

Server Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Mellow Mushroom in July 2011.

I applied for the job before the restaurant opened so their interviews were held at the own job fair. When I arrived there were a number of other applicants taking the menu quiz we had been emailed prior to the interview. When a manager was ready to interview you were called. I was interviewed by the district manager but I had no idea at the moment who she was. The interview was very laid back. She asked me some simple questions about me and my past employments. She also asked me some questions about who I think is important in a restaurant. She then handed me a job discription sheet with the pay rate on it and some other papers and told me shed see me on the first day of training!