Meltwater Group

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Meltwater Group.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview after an online application through LinkedIn. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes, after which I was invited to a group interview. Before the group interview you are asked to prepare a case study (basically they give you a company and want you to sell the entire Meltwater suite to them in a tailored way) and turn it in at the group interview. The group interview was at a swanky hotel in Downtown Austin, and it involved about 5 Meltwater employees and 7 interviewees. They had a strict schedule of explaining the company, then there was a break-- then the games began. We each had to talk about ourselves. Then you break into teams and solve problems together. They tell you that they will call you if you are selected for a one-on-several of them interview. I was not selected. I'm pretty sure it is because I was wearing bright red pants and everyone else was in a black suit. You live and you learn.

Interview Question – Recognizing Meltwater clients' logos. Weird, huh?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Meltwater Group.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter in response to an online application. Had a phone screening and was invited in for a group interview.

Similar to what others have written, the group interview was a little bizarre and unlike anything I've ever experienced. A full half day in a hotel conference room (why wouldn't they just do this in their office?) with 7 or so Meltwater employees and about 9 candidates. Group presentations, choosing who among your peers you would want to be your manager, elevator pitches, mock debates, and the like.

I was called back later that day for an individual interview in their office. I had assumed an "individual interview" would be 1-1 with employees, maybe a few rounds of this. What actually happened was more like pledging a fraternity/sorority than a job interview.

I sat across the table from all 7 employees from the morning session and they legit grilled me for an hour and a half on my experience, strengths/weaknesses, and business knowledge, which is fine. But they also asked a lot of very personal questions (who do you live with, how long have you been with your significant other, what would your best friend say your weaknesses are) and really pushed for the intimate details. They kept saying "we're sorry if this is weird we just want to get to know you" but it was really bizarre and prying.

Seriously the weirdest, most intense interview process ever - I felt like I was being interviewed to adopt a child, not for a sales job. I also asked about the seemingly endless # of negative posts online about them, and they pretty much avoided the question and blamed it on a few immature ex employees.

I got a call a few days later saying they weren't going to be making me an offer because they were looking for a "more experienced candidate" when I had more experience than anyone in my group and they spent all session telling us that they didn't care about experience and just wanted to bring in the right people and train them. Not even mad though, I probably would have declined anyway based on how strange and awkward the process was. Seems very cult-like.

Interview Question – What would your best friend say he/she doesn't like about you?

Who (of your group of peers) would you choose to be your manager and why?

Pretend you're calling me and pitching me our product.
  Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Meltwater Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very extensive interview process. Two phone interviews, a group interview, and a panel interview (5 Melwater employees and yourself). The group interview was unlike any interview I've ever been on. There is a lot of role playing, they ask you who of the rest of the group you would want to have as your manager, a debate, and you have to give an elevator speech. For the panel interview there was a lot of sales role playing, they have you tell why you would or wouldn't hire each of the people from the previous day's group interview. Overall a good interview experience, but definitely the hardest interview process I've experienced.

Interview Question – You have to answer questions as someone that you are very close to would answer about you (family, friend, or coworker)   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Meltwater Group in June 2012.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of 2 phone interviews with different people and then a panel interview with 3 people. The phone interviews were not phone screens, so be prepared for an intense 30 minutes. During the panel interview, I was asked questions I have never been asked before so make sure to think up everything from your past jobs so you can speak about it.

Interview Question – Who is your best friend and what would they say they you need to work on?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Meltwater Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – It was a 2 round interview. First round is a group interview, second is a 1 on 1 with a management panel. The interviews were very detailed and could be difficult for someone who isn't extroverted. Lots of situational and on-the-spot questions. Be up front and confident.

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Meltwater Group

Interview Details – Like most of the other postings here, it started off with a group interview consisting of 10 other candidates. The interview consisted of the MW team pitching MW's products, followed by candidates introducing themselves. Following this, candidates were broken up into teams and asked to present one of MW's services, and then to debate FB vs. twitter.

Interview Question – Pitch a hobby of yours.   Answer Question

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Meltwater Group in June 2008.

Interview Details – Very professional recruiter, however didn't talk much about the position. Flew to the interview on the condition of reimbursement - never got reimbursed. Interview was at a hotel - previous group was late ending, so we started and ended late. Interview process was quite methodical, and they tried to keep things impersonal.
They're definitely looking for sales people.

Interview Question – Pitch something that you're very passionate about.   Answer Question

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Meltwater Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – starts off with a phone interview (after the recruiter calls you) you talk to a sales manager on the phone where they ask you some basic questions

group interview about 10-12 ppl ..if they like you after the phone interview.. you need to set aside an entire day for this.
its about 4 hours and they tell you about the company theres about 4-5 of them sales managers and a director, then they ask you to intro yourself infront of everyone and ask you questions. FEDBACk is very important they constantly give it to you.

you split into groups of 3-4 where they'll ask u to debate something (eg verizon and tmobile)
then send you out of the room and have u wait around. they call back about 5 ppl and interview them 5:1 five of them and one of you. basically grill you on your resume and ask you if you can accept feedback. make u do mock calls etc.

its an intense process, but they let you know within 24-48 hours whether u got the job or not

Interview Question – doing a cold call to a university or large corporation   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Meltwater Group

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meltwater Group Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Meltwater Group employees and interview candidates.