Meltwater Group

Updated Nov 1, 2014

3.8

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Meltwater Group.

Interview process began with a couple of phone interviews with Meltwater managers or directors. If they felt you were a good candidate you were moved on to the group interview stage. They call the candidates they feel to be best suited for the position for a panel interview after the group interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Group Interview: Who would you want as your manager and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Meltwater Group

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Meltwater Group.

Had an initial phone interview and was invited to the group "meet and greet" portion of the interview. Overall this was a very stressful experience, even though they tried to make it seem cool and casual with wine, beer and snacks. You are placed with around 20 other candidates and 3 meltwater employees lead the interview. Candidates were jumping at the bit to ask questions and fighting for attention. I honestly felt like I was in the hunger games. Unless you are an extreme extrovert this process will be difficult to get noticed and get any time with the employees.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Meltwater Group.

Initial phone interview after an online application through LinkedIn. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes, after which I was invited to a group interview. Before the group interview you are asked to prepare a case study (basically they give you a company and want you to sell the entire Meltwater suite to them in a tailored way) and turn it in at the group interview. The group interview was at a swanky hotel in Downtown Austin, and it involved about 5 Meltwater employees and 7 interviewees. They had a strict schedule of explaining the company, then there was a break-- then the games began. We each had to talk about ourselves. Then you break into teams and solve problems together. They tell you that they will call you if you are selected for a one-on-several of them interview. I was not selected. I'm pretty sure it is because I was wearing bright red pants and everyone else was in a black suit. You live and you learn.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Meltwater Group in June 2013.

This was the weirdest interview in my life, and I have been on many—I mean, I live in Austin, after all.

So I was turned onto this company by a guy I met downtown who seemed quite intelligent and gave it rave reviews. I gave him my resume, he passed it along, and about a week later, I got a phone interview, which went well. No bells went off there.

But then, oh then, I was asked to partake in a group interview downtown at a hotel. Four representatives from Meltwater showed up. Only one of them looked old enough to buy cigs. But what really stuck out was how attractive they were, even by Austin standards. I was a little surprised and sort of taken aback. I guess I’m used to living in America where there’s gonna be at least one kid in the crowd who likes his Oreos (it wasn’t until later, after I read the anti-meltwater blog, that I realized my discomfort was somewhat valid—the company was notorious for handpicking hot people to maintain its reputation for pumping up the jam after work).

So the Homecoming court waved us into the conference room. There were about ten of us. At thirty, I was by far and away the oldest. All the kids were dressed nicely, looking like they were going to prom. We each had a chance to introduce ourselves and describe our passion. Since everyone else was being super pretentious, I picked my passion as being malt liquor. Everyone laughed except for the Meltwater people. So, no sense of humor, I knew I wasn’t going to pass the interview. I just decided then and there to remain true to myself and watch in shock horror as the Meltwater supermodels continued on with a two and a half sermon on why their company is Jesus and Lil’ John all rolled into one shiny wagon with a corporate logo stapled on top. This orgy of hubris included a slide show of their charity work, pictures of the three kids and a couple of llamas they saved in South America (the kids for whom IMHO looked happier in the before-Meltwater-intervened photos), followed by pictures of company trips in exotic cities to unwind i.e. pump up the jam, which I guess was much-needed given their other reputation for week-long nonstop cold calling. After the Meltwater team was done running laps around their egos, we had a competition to see which was mightier—the pen or the sword. Pretty sure I participated in something like that in Odyssey of the Mind, back in fifth grade. It became a brown-nosing contest.

Oh, and when it became Q & A time, the Meltwater people avoided answering any probing question I asked….and trust me, my questions aren’t that probing.

Yet, the best what-the-fudge moment was when they gave us time at the end of the interview to allow us to thank them for inviting us to the interview. Yes. We were asked to sit there and appeal to them that each one of us was the best candidate for their company in the most humiliating, most brown nosery display of uber ridiculousnessI had ever witnessed. Saddest part is, everyone (but I) took part. Goes to show how bad the job market is.

I emailed the Meltwater guy when I got home and demanded that he take me off his list of candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The pen and sword thing, although I would define it as more "stupid" then "hard."   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Meltwater Group.

I was contacted by a recruiter in response to an online application. Had a phone screening and was invited in for a group interview.

Similar to what others have written, the group interview was a little bizarre and unlike anything I've ever experienced. A full half day in a hotel conference room (why wouldn't they just do this in their office?) with 7 or so Meltwater employees and about 9 candidates. Group presentations, choosing who among your peers you would want to be your manager, elevator pitches, mock debates, and the like.

I was called back later that day for an individual interview in their office. I had assumed an "individual interview" would be 1-1 with employees, maybe a few rounds of this. What actually happened was more like pledging a fraternity/sorority than a job interview.

I sat across the table from all 7 employees from the morning session and they legit grilled me for an hour and a half on my experience, strengths/weaknesses, and business knowledge, which is fine. But they also asked a lot of very personal questions (who do you live with, how long have you been with your significant other, what would your best friend say your weaknesses are) and really pushed for the intimate details. They kept saying "we're sorry if this is weird we just want to get to know you" but it was really bizarre and prying.

Seriously the weirdest, most intense interview process ever - I felt like I was being interviewed to adopt a child, not for a sales job. I also asked about the seemingly endless # of negative posts online about them, and they pretty much avoided the question and blamed it on a few immature ex employees.

I got a call a few days later saying they weren't going to be making me an offer because they were looking for a "more experienced candidate" when I had more experience than anyone in my group and they spent all session telling us that they didn't care about experience and just wanted to bring in the right people and train them. Not even mad though, I probably would have declined anyway based on how strange and awkward the process was. Seems very cult-like.

Interview Questions
    • What would your best friend say he/she doesn't like about you?

Who (of your group of peers) would you choose to be your manager and why?

Pretend you're calling me and pitching me our product.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Meltwater Group in March 2013.

Very extensive interview process. Two phone interviews, a group interview, and a panel interview (5 Melwater employees and yourself). The group interview was unlike any interview I've ever been on. There is a lot of role playing, they ask you who of the rest of the group you would want to have as your manager, a debate, and you have to give an elevator speech. For the panel interview there was a lot of sales role playing, they have you tell why you would or wouldn't hire each of the people from the previous day's group interview. Overall a good interview experience, but definitely the hardest interview process I've experienced.

Interview Questions
    • You have to answer questions as someone that you are very close to would answer about you (family, friend, or coworker)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Meltwater Group in June 2012.

My interview consisted of 2 phone interviews with different people and then a panel interview with 3 people. The phone interviews were not phone screens, so be prepared for an intense 30 minutes. During the panel interview, I was asked questions I have never been asked before so make sure to think up everything from your past jobs so you can speak about it.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your best friend and what would they say they you need to work on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Meltwater Group in February 2011.

It was a 2 round interview. First round is a group interview, second is a 1 on 1 with a management panel. The interviews were very detailed and could be difficult for someone who isn't extroverted. Lots of situational and on-the-spot questions. Be up front and confident.

Account Manager Interview

Like most of the other postings here, it started off with a group interview consisting of 10 other candidates. The interview consisted of the MW team pitching MW's products, followed by candidates introducing themselves. Following this, candidates were broken up into teams and asked to present one of MW's services, and then to debate FB vs. twitter.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Meltwater Group in February 2011.

starts off with a phone interview (after the recruiter calls you) you talk to a sales manager on the phone where they ask you some basic questions

group interview about 10-12 ppl ..if they like you after the phone interview.. you need to set aside an entire day for this.
    its about 4 hours and they tell you about the company theres about 4-5 of them sales managers and a director, then they ask you to intro yourself infront of everyone and ask you questions. FEDBACk is very important they constantly give it to you.

you split into groups of 3-4 where they'll ask u to debate something (eg verizon and tmobile)
    then send you out of the room and have u wait around. they call back about 5 ppl and interview them 5:1 five of them and one of you. basically grill you on your resume and ask you if you can accept feedback. make u do mock calls etc.

its an intense process, but they let you know within 24-48 hours whether u got the job or not

Interview Questions
    • doing a cold call to a university or large corporation   View Answer