Meltwater Group Interview Questions & Reviews in San Francisco, CA

4.0

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Meltwater Group.

I had an acquaintance refer me for a sales consultant position last minute as they were having group interviews in person a few days later. She put me in touch with her director and I had a phone interview with him shortly after. It was difficult to tell exactly what he was looking for and he seemed a bit disconnected from the SF team: he told me he was located on the East Coast. After our interview, he told me all of the slots for the group interviews had been filled, but he would keep my resume on hand for their next hiring round, which seemed conflicting because in his email a couple days earlier he had asked if I would be able to make the in-person interview if the phone interview went well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult, but he did ask why I felt qualified for this role and it was difficult to answer given that there was no specific job description (or even job opening!) listed online   Answer Question

Account Executive, Client Success Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Meltwater Group.

My recruiter set me up with the initial phone screen which I found fairly easy and fine. The next round was a group interview with 9 other candidates. There was a panel of 7 Meltwater employees on one side of a long table and the 9 of us on the other side. We each had name tags in front of us. The group interview was organized and they told us the schedule of the day. First we each had to introduce ourselves and tell the group about something personal or professional we were proud of. After that intro, we each had to say who we thought in the group would make a good manager and why. You could see the Meltwater employees taking notes and mentally shrinking the group. There were a few more team assignments and a debate followed by an elevator pitch.

I made it to the next day which was a 7-1 interview. This was intense. Lots of role playing, testing business knowledge and really trying to throw you off. They told me the next step would be offers on Friday. Late that night, I got a call asking me to come in a third time the next day for 30 min. I was under the impression that they were deciding between me and another candidate. They brought in a guy from another department and it seemed like they were gauging my interest in a full on sales job. I stayed honest and true and said I was more interested in client success. They asked me some more really tough questions on how I would be successful in sales and what I was passionate about.

The next day I got a phone call and they told me that they wouldn't be giving me an offer. After spending around 7 hours in the office, I appreciated the call but would have liked some more feedback if there was something they didn't like or were unsure of. The interview process was by far the most intense one I've ever done and some of the people seemed fake.

Interview Questions
    • Name something you would struggle with personality wise by joining Meltwater?
      Role playing of cold calls, they would shut you down and expect you to sell Meltwater products without much knowledge of them.
      What would make you a good manager?
      Give an elevator pitch of a hobby or activity you love.
        Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Meltwater Group in June 2012.

My interview consisted of 2 phone interviews with different people and then a panel interview with 3 people. The phone interviews were not phone screens, so be prepared for an intense 30 minutes. During the panel interview, I was asked questions I have never been asked before so make sure to think up everything from your past jobs so you can speak about it.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your best friend and what would they say they you need to work on?   Answer Question

Internet Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Meltwater Group in February 2012.

Very young and critical group of people. They have you do an unusual Interview process that includes your peers judgment of your leadership qualities.

Begins with a
    -3 min Presentation from each person (9-14 applicants watching your presentation). Make sure you explain that your Sales oriented and Analytical in your description of your "greatest accomplishment". They like people that were salesperson of the month etc in their previous position.

-Not the most diverse workplace ( they should work on that) so be aware of that when interviewing. Yet, it kind of seems like that's not of much importance to them.

2. Group sales pitch. Make sure you sound astute and express leadership.

3. Debate your peers on why a tech company is better than another.

They told me I spoke too fast in my first speaking opp. Practice Practice Practice your 3 min pitch!

Blessings. Show em you can sell yourself and their products!

Interview Questions
    • Description of your "greatest accomplishment". (You really should make it sales or marketing related if you want the job).   View Answer
    • Sales Pitch of some companies web SEO (search engine optimization) that they would like. Learn about this! I had to use 10 key words   View Answer
    • Tech Debate   View Answer

Senior Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Meltwater Group in March 2011.

I did really well on the phone part of the interview, answering questions about how Spring, Hibernate, and J2EE work together. Most of these were architecture questions even though I was applying for a coding position. The in-person interview included a senior architect, senior java engineer, and product manager. Again, it was mostly architecture questions. I didn't feel like I did as well on the in-person part, but they did offer me the job so I must have. It was mostly a good personality match I think. Unfortunately I did not interview with the person that was to become my supervisor, which would come back to haunt me later... There was no actual skills test, but others in my group had to do some coding so that was probably unusual.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would code a process to provide automatic fail-over recovery in case of a hung state.   View Answer
    It was an hourly contract rate which was agreed upon before I even interviewed. The recruiter handled that.

Entry Level Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Meltwater Group in February 2011.

Group Interview set up:
    1.5 hr overview of meltwater press
    Candidate introduction- 3 minutes about yourself, goals, passions, etc
    Group work: 3 criteria to set up a new meltwater press office
    Group debate on topic chose
    30 seconds to "sell" your passion

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your passion and make us want to go and do it   View Answer
    • What is your biggest achievement and explain why   View Answer

Entry Level Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Meltwater Group in November 2010.

Interview was straight forward but it seemed they were looking for very particular answers.

Interview Questions

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!