Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

Research Assistant I Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in December 2014.

Phone interview with HR first. He arranged an actually interview for the job. On the day of the interview, I met with HR for a 1:1 interview. It was quick and simple questions were asked. Then I went and met with the head of the department that I would be working in. That was a more difficult interview (see below). I was asked for my references via email later that night.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of questions that they wanted answers with using past sitauations in real life. Ex: Name a time you needed to accomplish something with a group. How will your past experience help you in this position? No typical interview questions were asked.   Answer Question

Session Assistant Interview

The process itself is a well-oiled machine. You will see HR first for a screening and then have 1-2 more interviews with the supervisors at the location you will be working.

Session Assistant I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

Sent in my application and got an email a few weeks later asking to take an online test. The next day I was called to schedule an interview. I was away at the time, so could not come in for a few weeks. The initial interview took all of 10 minutes, which was pretty much just a screening to make sure you are able to effectively communicate and "practice" for the real interview that was scheduled for the next day. The next round was with two people who asked a long list of typical interview questions that were mostly fair. The interviewer's were extremely nice and made me feel comfortable. After the interview they had me wait outside while they discussed. They then came out 10-15 minutes later informing me that I had moved on to the final round of interviews which took place that day. Not as many questions were asked in the last interview and they were similar to the questions already asked except for a few variations. Overall, the whole process went well and everyone there was really friendly. They informed me that they would let me know by the end of the week, however I did not hear from them for two weeks. After those long two weeks, I received the email that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time where you had to convince a co-worker to do something that they didn't want to do?   Answer Question

Physician Office Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

I applied online, it took about two weeks until I was called for an on the phone interview. after hearing my background they believed I was a better fit for the physician office assistant. I then was asked to take an online assessment. After the assessment I followed up and had an interview with the HR recruiter. during the interview I was then sent to the Administrative coordinator in the department I was to work in. The interview was very nice and so were the people. be prepared for a very long list of questions about your goals in life, along with some " what would you do questions". i was not offered the position but I am interviewing in other departments. Its a pretty competitive process for good reasons.

Interview Questions
    • the most difficult question for me was how would I immediately start to organize the the schedules of the doctors I would be working for.   Answer Question

Session Assistant I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

I filled out an application online on MSKCC's career webpage. A week or so later, I received an email from a talent recruiter letting me know about an online assessment that I had to take before scheduling an interview. I passed the test, and then a few days later received a call from said recruiter asking when I was available to meet with him. I went in a week later, and the meeting was mostly like a pre-interview. He informed me about the position, and then asked me questions similar to what they would ask in a formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were under a time crunch and how you dealt with it.
      Describe a time when you went above and beyond to provide exceptional customer service
      Describe a time when you worked in a group setting with others

Answer Question

Session Assistant I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

I got refered by an agency to one of MSK talent recruiters. I had an intital phone conversation with the recruiter and then an interview soon after that. After the recruiter interview I met with 2 practice managers for an hr and then directly after that their supervisor for another hour and recieved a tour of one of the floors to get an idea of the session assistant layout. Los of behavioral questions and tell me a time when....questions. The process took about 3 weeks, but that it because I was only available on certain days to interview and they were very accomadating to meeting me a week apart each time. This isn't for the faint of heart, you need to be able to stick around, and you should want to because MSK is a great company, so don't mess around with them, this isn't just "another job".

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to go above and beyond

Give me a time you had an idea that everyone was against, and how you proceeded with it.
       An example of a time you had to make a quick decision

I displayed extraordinary customer service, and (2) one example where I participated in a group activity.

How you’ve shown leadership

What would you do if a co-worker of yours was being exceptionally lazy or not doing his/her job?

stressful situation and how you handled it, how do you feel about team work &give an example of when you worked on a team

Name a time when you failed at something?

Give us one example of when you did not agree with your boss and what you did about it.

Have you ever received feedback that you did not agree with?

Tell us about a time where you made a mistake.
       When was a time you showed empathy?
       When was a time you missed a deadline?

Answer Question
    There is no negotiation.

Physician Office Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

It was a long and frustrating process, but in the end it was a great first job out of college for me. I commuted in 3 separate days for interviews, and on one day a physician kept me waiting an hour and a half before she met me for the interview. However, I am glad I stuck with the process because I enjoyed working there.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate. I'm not sure if they would have negotiated had I tried.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

The hiring process is very long. You have to interview with a lot of people within your department. Can be several months between when you submit your application and hear back. One woman in my orientation group had twelve interviews before being offered a position.

Commercial Insurance Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

I applied for this position online. I received a call back from HR and a telephone interview, two weeks later from the job posting date. A week later I had a interview the supervisor it went very well. They were extremely nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in September 2014.

I applied through my undergrad career services counselor, online. I heard back from a talent recruiter 2 weeks later asking to interview with me over the phone. I was out of the country at that moment so I didn't meet with him until another 3 weeks after. I met with the recruiter at their HR office on 40th and 3rd which lasted about 30 minutes. Mostly questions about customer service and why I want to work at MSKCC. That same day, I also met with 2 managers who started out as session assistants and were very welcoming. This interview was much longer, about an hour. They ask very detailed questions so be prepared to be as specific as possible. And ask questions. Then I met with the hiring manager which was a shorter meeting. I heard back that I was hired 2 days later. I don't start for another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you didn't agree with your boss's instructions.   Answer Question
    No negotiations but the starting pay is pretty good considering I'm only 22.