Memorial Sloan Kettering

Memorial Sloan Kettering Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

Research Technician Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in July 2014.

I was not hired, I was referred to by my old professor, and was called about a month later. The people were friendly, including the doctor that interviewed me. After about a half hour with him, he gave me a tour of the lab and then led me to a second interviewer.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in July 2014.

Two rounds of interviews, 5 people in the first and 7 people in the second with one last interview with the boss. Didn't hear back from the boss for two months and suddenly got an offer and a deadline to accept! It was a hard decision.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me anything about you that's work unrelated. Caught me completely off guard!   Answer Question
    Asked for more money, HR was difficult to budge and only added a few hundred more to my annual salary.

Session Assistant I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in June 2014.

I applied online through the company website. A couple of weeks later, I was contacted to complete the skills and personality assessment that I did the same day. The following day, I received a call from HR notifying me that I passed the assessment and the next step would be a phone interview. The phone interview was a day or two after, and I was asked some basic questions about my interest in the position, organization, and in health care. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an interview at HR. The next week I went to HR and met with the same recruiter that I did the phone interview with. He gave me more details about the position and shared some additional information about MSKCC. For the interview, he asked me some personality questions. That same day I was sent to the department and met with a manager. The department manager asked me several more questions to assess my personality and behavior in different situations. I was very pleased with this interview and was under the impression after my conversation with the manager that she was interested in hiring me. She told me I would hear back with in a week and that the next phase in the hiring process would continue in about 3 weeks.

I did not hear anything until I sent a follow up email two weeks after the interview with the manager. I was not selected for that position, but the hiring manager did contact HR to recommend that I still be considered for the position in another department. The same HR contact called me about 3 weeks after my in-person interview to set up another interview at a different department with 2 Clinical Practice Supervisors. During that interview, they asked several questions about my personality, how I would act in different situations, general questions about strengths, weaknesses, etc. Although the questions were not too difficult to answer, they did want specific examples for each. At the end of that interview, they asked me to wait about 15 minutes so they could review my answers and discuss their thoughts. After 15 minutes, one of the supervisors informed me that they wanted me to meet with their manager. I met with the manager immediately after and she asked me some more questions about my past work experience, experience with projects/ long term goals, and again about personality/ behavior.

That evening, I received a call from HR offering me the position. At each interview, everyone was friendly and open to questions. It was a longer interview process than I have ever experienced but it was not difficult or intimidating to have to go through different people.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your strengths/ weaknesses? How do you deal with weaknesses?
      Have you ever received feedback from a manager that you disagreed with?
      What was a positive/ negative outcome or experience when working in a group?
      Name a time you had a difficult conversation with someone? What was the outcome?
      Why MSKCC?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Have you ever worked on a long-term project? What was the outcome?

Answer Question
    No negotiation for an entry level position

Session Assistant I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in June 2014.

I applied for a few positions at MSKCC, however they emailed me and said they were looking for session assistants. In the email was a link to an assessment that included data entry, math, personality and Microsoft windows questions. The assessment was pretty easy and I took it on a Thurs. By Monday I received a call from an HR recruiter and she gave me a quick interview. She asked why I wanted to be in healthcare. She then scheduled me a face to face interview with another HR recruiter by Friday. On Friday that recruiter gave a fairly brief and easy interview. Just two behavioral questions one of which was name a time where you displayed exceptional customer service. He then set me up with an administrative manager for that following Monday. This interview was much longer and definitely had a lot of situational questions. Have plenty of stories ready. Be able to sell yourself, why do you want to work at MSKCC. I received the offer the same week, that Friday :D be personable, have fun & good luck !

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received criticism that you disagreed with.   Answer Question
    • Lots of group questions. Positive experiences with groups. Conflicts with groups n   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had an idea an you disagreed with a boss.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiation. Starting salary is pretty good.

Registered Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in May 2014.

I received a call from a nurse recruiter asking very basic questions. Then went in to interview first with the nurse recruiter. Next I interviewed with the Nurse Manager of the unit. Then was invited back to do an "observational interview" where I spent two hours on the unit and met briefly with the manager afterwards. I was told I would receive a call the next week about their decision. I never received a call, called and left a message with the nurse recruiter & manager, no one called back. I finally learned the position was filled by talking to someone in HR who looked it up in the computer. Very unprofessional way of handling not being offered the position, especially since I was traveling each time from out of state.

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your current manager your biggest weakness what would she say.   Answer Question

Session Assistant I Interview

Referred by friend. Had initial phone interview then interview in New York with HR. After HR was sent to interview with 2 people in charge of SA's. Then interviewed with manager. Called within that week and offered job!

Interview Questions
    • What was one time you have shown flexibility in your schedule   Answer Question

Physician Office Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

The interview process was a rigorous one. I had a total of 3 interviews before getting the position. It isn't necessarily hard just lengthy.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever failed at anything? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Fundraising Manager Interview

I went through a phone and then in-person interview. HR was very fast-moving at the start and very professional. I felt that the in-person interview went well, but something hadn't clicked. My follow ups were not acknowledged. More than six months later I received an automated reply thanking me for my application and saying the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between various fundraising platforms   Answer Question

Clinical Laboratory Technologist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in April 2014.

The hiring and interview process for me went pretty well and fast. I was referred to by a friend. I got a call the following week from HR and was scheduled for an interview the same week. The interview with HR was casual and fast they just asked me the usual questions (reason for leaving, current job title/description etc). That same day I also had an interview with the Lab manager, supervisor, lead techs and a few people in the lab. This time the interview was more lengthy since I met and talked with everybody. The interview was more formal they asked mostly behavioral questions. After the interview, I immediately got a call from HR and they asked me to fill up my references. After a week they offered me the job. From this point on HR will email you a bunch of stuff to do such as drug test, background check, medical etc.

Interview Questions
    • -What are you strengths and weaknesses?
      -Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      - Describe a difficult situation and explain how you positively handled it.
      - What is your current salary? What is your salary expectation?

Answer Question
    I didn't even think of negotiating since they gave me more than I expected.

Administrative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in April 2014.

Applied via my school's career post. I came in for an in person interview and was interviewed by two administrators. Questions were relatively generic and broad- Why do you want this position? Why MSK? Where do you see yourself in 5+ years. Interviewers were very polite and kind. They called back very quickly with a decision.

Interview Questions
    Not too much negotiation. I used some if the offers I had already received.