Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Study Assistant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

Interview Details – The process, overall, was smooth and timely. A MSKCC recruiter for another department forwarded my resume to the department that I interviewed with. First, there was a phone interview that lasted less than 20 minutes. Then, I was invited to interview in person. In total, I met with 5 people, including my direct supervisor, his "bosses", and the attending physician.

Interview Question – Questions included "Tell me about yourself," "Why MSKCC." I was also asked where I see myself in two years / do I want to go back to school, strengths & weaknesses, my understanding of the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Interview Details – Process was very pleasant- they called me to schedule an interview a few days after I applied (I had previously met a recruiter at a career fair), and I interviewed the next day with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, then with the Research Coordinator. A few days later, I interviewed with the Research Manager, and then the doctors that I would be working for. Everyone was extremely pleasant.

Interview Question – Mainly behavioral questions and those pertaining to research- "how do you deal with deadlines? What would be your greatest challenges in this position?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I chose to pursue a different position, but it was an extremely tough decision, as the job seemed wonderful.

Research Study Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

Interview Details – Internal reference got my resume on HR's desk after several months hearing nothing re my online application. Short phone interview with an HR rep, a week later interviewed with the same rep and two managers individually, onsite, in the space of a day. The followup was that they asked for 5 references, all of whom had to fill out a ranking survey. Once they were all complete, I heard from HR very quickly.

Interview Question – What was a time when someone disrespected you?   Answer Question

Research Study Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in February 2013.

Interview Details – Less than a week after applying for the position, I was contacted by phone by HR. We had a very pleasant discussion about the position and what I was looking for in an employer. After about 10 minutes she asked me to come in and speak to her in person, which took place about three days later. It was one-on-one with a talent acquisition specialist and very informal; she looked over my resume and asked me what areas I was interested in. She also explained the administrative side of the position; salary, vacation time, benefits and the hiring process. It went very well and she told me she would submit my resume to the departments I was interested in and I would hear if they were interested in me.

Less than a week later, I was contacted by the clinical research coordinator of the department. She asked me if I could come in the same day for an interview (we spoke about 10 am and set the interview for 3pm), which I did. That interview was with two people, the CRC and the clinical research manager. It was more formal than HR but not overwhelmingly so. They asked typical questions; why do you want the position, where do you see yourself in 5 years, that kind of stuff. They do ask for a two year commitment so be aware of that. The interview went well, and I was told that they would make a decision within a week.

Three days later the CRC contacted me again for an interview with the Service Chief in the department. That interview was very short and seemed like the physician in charge just wanted to make sure he knew who would be working for him, because he didn't ask me anything that hadn't been covered by the first two interviews. An hour after I left, HR called with an offer for the position.

They do perform an extremely thorough background check, so be prepared to let your references know to expect a phone call.

Interview Question – Are you willing to come in to work early, late, on weekends or in inclement weather if necessary?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The salary is set for the position, but after 9mo to 1 year after hiring, the RSA position generally receives a promotion.

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR via phone where I was asked a few questions. The HR Rep was very pleasant and helpful in scheduling the interviews for the RSA position. I then had the first and second round of interviews within a week, one meeting with the managers and the other meeting with the potential coworkers and the coordinator. The interviews consisted of the normal questions, i.e. "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "How would your current boss describe you?" Unfortunately, I was not offered the position but the HR rep was willing to set me up with interviews for other vacant positions. Overall, I had a positive experience interviewing at MSKCC.

Interview Question – What words would your friends use to describe you?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in July 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR rep. Scheduled the interview for the following week. Met with two people in the department and then with HR.

The department interview consisted of many fit questions such as how do you handle deadlines and stress and why do you want to work here.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline and how did you handle it?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in April 2008.

Interview Details – I was first interviewed via phone by HR of MSKCC. The interviewer was a very pleasant lady and the entire conversation lasted about 15 minutes. Next I was interviewed by another HR interviewer, but face to face this time. This one was a bit tougher and the interviewer asked me a couple of questions that took me a minute to reply to.

Interview Question – Why did you pick your major? What are your future plans and what do you want to do in this field?   Answer Question

Research Study Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

Interview Details – HR phone interview, HR in-person interview, direct supervisor interview (45 minutes, odd questions), supervisor's supervisor interview (about 3-4 minutes), interview with the study PI (clicked very well!). Had 3 background checks. Total took about 60 days from online application until start date. I e-mailed them in reference to my application which immediately sped up the process. I'm not sure I would have heard anything had I not bothered to push my way through!

Interview Question – What type of jokes do you like to tell?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Videos

Memorial Sloan-Kettering – Why Work for Us?

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) is the world's oldest and largest private institution devoted to the prevention, treatment, and cure of cancer. Founded in 1884, Memorial Sloan-Kettering has long been a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Research Study Assistant interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Memorial Sloan-Kettering employees and interview candidates.