Memphis City Schools Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2015

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Memphis City Schools

Classroom Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Memphis City Schools.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was simple. The principal was interested in recruiting cult members--people who would "fall in line" and make sure to take orders without question. 25 out of 30 minutes of my interview was listening to the principal brag about putting previous teachers in their places. I answered two questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the lowest proficiency rate that you would accept to consider yourself a successful teacher?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Memphis City Schools (Memphis, TN).

Interview

I was hired because I knew someone.

Negotiation

None

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Memphis City Schools (Memphis, TN) in March 2013.

Interview

The panel comprised 4 senior managers, and they were asking questions one after the other. They began with introduction and I introduced myself too. They asked me why do I have interest in the job, my background and how do I see myself in the next 5 years.

Interview Questions

• WHAT MAKES YOU QUALIFY FOR THIS JOB?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much concerning negotiation, they had let me know this from the beginning of the interview and we had agreed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Memphis City Schools (Memphis, TN).

Interview

The first interview was a thoroughly professional in June 2005. The interviewer probed my understanding and knowledge of teaching methods and techniques. Although my application included submitting and explaining my philosophy of education, I was called upon to explain it to the interviewer. I considered that to be very professional.

Interview Questions

• After I was offered a contract a week later. I was directed to attend a MCS job fair with principals who were looking to fill vacant positions. The most difficult question was: What do you consider to be your greatest weakness as a teacher, and how are you working to improve in that area?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was awarded a standard teaching contract based on education and experience. Once I completed my Master's Degree in August 2005, my pay was adjusted commensurate with my education and each year with my additional experience.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Memphis City Schools (Memphis, TN) in August 2009.

Interview

You just showed up to orientation. There was no interview. You applied online and showed up to orientation.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Memphis City Schools (Memphis, TN) in January 2009.

Interview

phone interview - face interview

Project Manager Interview

Interview

1. Create an online application / profile, select the job opening, and submit. The system is not super slick, but it gets the job done. You can attach a resume, but also have to fill in pretty much the same in the online form. 2. Receive an email stating the date, time and location of the interview. No call (though the email did ask me to call), no discussion, and limited notice (email sent Monday 4pm, email Tuesday 2.30pm). 3. Interview started approx 1 hour late with no apologies, and no notice that it was going to be late until I asked at 2.25... And was then surprised to walk in and find 5 people (the hiring manager, 3 peers to the open position, 1 HR rep) in the room as no one had mentioned it would be a panel interview... On the plus side, this meant there was only one interview - a quick and effecient, time-saving process on both sides. 4. Pre-offer form, which has to be signed by both the hiring manager and the selected applicant. 5. Verbal offer, provided by HR. The HR rep was very helpful, answering what questions he could and putting me in touch with the appropriate groups for those he could not. Unfortunately, the offer itself contain limited info when compared to most... Only grade, step (which equates to years experience and impacts salary) and bi-monthly compensation are discussed. And no written offer will be provided until the verbal offer is accepted. 6. Limited to no negotiation is possble, and the process for obtaining an additional 1-3 steps is almost impossible - notarized, detailed experience information from your previous employer which then has to be evaluated and exactly match your job for you to be granted credit... - and not available until after you start the new job. 7. Once accepted, background check and physical are required (at employee cost), you have to bring in copies of your DL and SSN (not sure why they can't make the copies at MCS), and you have to fill in paperwork that repeats much of the information you've already provided. BTW, they use your SSN to track everything (during the recruiting process and once you're an employee)...

Interview Questions

• N/A, they use a fairly standard list of questions, with each panel member asking a couple in turn and all five panelists asking follow up questions as needed.   Answer Question