Memphis City Schools

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Classroom Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Memphis City Schools.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was simple. The principal was interested in recruiting cult members--people who would "fall in line" and make sure to take orders without question. 25 out of 30 minutes of my interview was listening to the principal brag about putting previous teachers in their places. I answered two questions.

Interview Question – What is the lowest proficiency rate that you would accept to consider yourself a successful teacher?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Memphis, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Memphis City Schools.

Interview Details – I was hired because I knew someone.

Negotiation Details – None

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Memphis City Schools.

Interview Details – The first interview was a thoroughly professional in June 2005. The interviewer probed my understanding and knowledge of teaching methods and techniques. Although my application included submitting and explaining my philosophy of education, I was called upon to explain it to the interviewer. I considered that to be very professional.

Interview Question – After I was offered a contract a week later. I was directed to attend a MCS job fair with principals who were looking to fill vacant positions. The most difficult question was: What do you consider to be your greatest weakness as a teacher, and how are you working to improve in that area?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was awarded a standard teaching contract based on education and experience. Once I completed my Master's Degree in August 2005, my pay was adjusted commensurate with my education and each year with my additional experience.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Substitute Teacher Interview

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Memphis City Schools in August 2009.

Interview Details – You just showed up to orientation. There was no interview. You applied online and showed up to orientation.

Interview Question – No questions were asked.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Memphis City Schools in January 2009.

Interview Details – phone interview - face interview

Interview Questions

Project Manager Interview

Interviewed at Memphis City Schools

Interview Details – 1. Create an online application / profile, select the job opening, and submit. The system is not super slick, but it gets the job done. You can attach a resume, but also have to fill in pretty much the same in the online form.
2. Receive an email stating the date, time and location of the interview. No call (though the email did ask me to call), no discussion, and limited notice (email sent Monday 4pm, email Tuesday 2.30pm).
3. Interview started approx 1 hour late with no apologies, and no notice that it was going to be late until I asked at 2.25... And was then surprised to walk in and find 5 people (the hiring manager, 3 peers to the open position, 1 HR rep) in the room as no one had mentioned it would be a panel interview... On the plus side, this meant there was only one interview - a quick and effecient, time-saving process on both sides.
4. Pre-offer form, which has to be signed by both the hiring manager and the selected applicant.
5. Verbal offer, provided by HR. The HR rep was very helpful, answering what questions he could and putting me in touch with the appropriate groups for those he could not. Unfortunately, the offer itself contain limited info when compared to most... Only grade, step (which equates to years experience and impacts salary) and bi-monthly compensation are discussed. And no written offer will be provided until the verbal offer is accepted.
6. Limited to no negotiation is possble, and the process for obtaining an additional 1-3 steps is almost impossible - notarized, detailed experience information from your previous employer which then has to be evaluated and exactly match your job for you to be granted credit... - and not available until after you start the new job.
7. Once accepted, background check and physical are required (at employee cost), you have to bring in copies of your DL and SSN (not sure why they can't make the copies at MCS), and you have to fill in paperwork that repeats much of the information you've already provided. BTW, they use your SSN to track everything (during the recruiting process and once you're an employee)...

Interview Question – N/A, they use a fairly standard list of questions, with each panel member asking a couple in turn and all five panelists asking follow up questions as needed.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Memphis City Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Memphis City Schools interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Memphis City Schools employees and interview candidates.