Menard

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Blaine, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Menard in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very kind manager. She had through answers to all of my questions. It was a very comfortable environment. Some basic interview questions but nothing challenging. I would recommend the company just based on the interview experience. Just make sure you are prepared. Obviously the more you are prepped, the easier the interview will seem. I only had to wait 3 days to hear back with an offer and I jubilantly accepted. The only downside is, I have an hour long drive to submit my drug test at a lab with terrible hours for the busy man to attend to in the middle of the week.

Interview Question – What separates you from other candidates interviewing for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Flat rate of minimum wage to start with an extra 2 something dollars for weekend hours (weekend incentive pay)

Lincoln, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menard in June 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting an application, my store location, a top-50 store Lincoln South took about 2 weeks to respond to my inquiry for employment. The first interview that you are called to is with the store unit's Human Resource Manager. This interview generally is to judge your competency and general appearance and how you react to the surroundings of the workplace. A tour and policy and procedure packet are completed at this time. When the next interview is called it is with the supervisor of whichever department HR feels you would work best in. If you have experience in a certain home development field, odds are that you will work in that department. The interview with the department manager is a very straightforward asking questions like strengths/weaknesses and inquires about your past employment and self accountability/responsibility. After this interview you will receive a call stating if you were hired or not and instructions on completing the urinalyses drug test. Menards is a drug-free company and EVERY store unit completes mandatory drug testing for all employees pre-employement.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wage and benefits are non-negotiable and pre-determined by the corporate office in regards to where your store unit is. Rural area stores get paid just slightly less than more urban ones.

Janesville, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Menard.

Interview Details – Very quick turn around time between application and interview.

Interview Question – Really none.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Hourly wage was much less than advertised.

Portage, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menard.

Interview Details – Applied in person, paper application at store, was called a few days later to schedule and interview, 1 store manager interveiwed me and then one assitant did aswell, very laid back, jeans and a nice shirt works.

Interview Question – As usual, where do you see yourself in 3 years, questions like that, the do not hire seasonal they say.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much they pay you an extra two dollars an hour on the weekends which is nice.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Menard in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview I went to was an open interview and I landed the job on the spot. I showed determination by admitting I would skip my other job just so I could take the drug test, and he liked that.

Interview Question – How many years do you think you'll be with the company   View Answer

Maplewood, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Menard in February 2013.

Interview Details – They were so desperate for people, they will just ask what your schedule is like & whether or not you plan to stay long. That's all they care about. Because once they know you're available and are willing to pretty much live at menards, they don't care about anything else. My interview consisted of only those 2 questions.

Interview Question – What department do you want to work for? There is seriously too much to choose from.   Answer Question

Council Bluffs, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menard in June 2010.

Interview Details – After turning in an application, I was immediately given an interview. I was recommended by a family member who was a former employee for 5 years. The interview was easy, consisting mainly of question such as "What is your ideal work place environment?" and "How long do you plan working at Menard's?" At the end of the interview I was given instructions for setting up a drug test appointment and told that once the results came back I would be hired.

Interview Question – Why did you choose to apply at Menard's?   Answer Question

Sturtevant, WI

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Menard in January 2010.

Interview Details – i applied for Menards through a paper application because you couldnt apply on line. it took about a week for them to call and i was absolutely amazed. i met with the store manager and she was absolutely amazing! she made me feel relaxed and very comfortable. She asked me questions about previous work experience and why i wanted to work at menards. the interview was wuick an fun an i ended up getting a call for a job in the next few days

Interview Questions

Cashier Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Menard in January 2007.

Interview Details – It was pretty easy. I was just interviewing for a cashier job. The Human Resources coordinatoor interviewed me and she was very nice. They ask general questions such as your strengths and weaknesses. It really depends what store you are interview at though.

Interview Questions

Machesney Park, Winnebago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Menard in June 2007.

Interview Details – I sat down with the HR woman and was asked the typical interview questions (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, etc.). It lasted about 45 minutes. I was also introduced to one of the head managers and he asked a few questions. They offered me the job a day later over the phone and I accepted.

Interview Question – What is one strength and one weakness   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Menard

Worked for Menard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Menard Cashier interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Menard employees and interview candidates.