Menard

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at Menard.

Interview Details – Had a face-to-face and a tour of the building. Very basic questions.

Interview Question – They were all fairly easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Menard.

Interview Details – The interview only lasted about 20 minutes and they offered me the job. With a 4-year college degree, I am well beyond overqualified for the job, but I needed a paycheck until I found something real.

I walked in, the General Manager, 2 assistants, and HR Coordinator were all there. The GM asked me a bunch of questions about my experience and what I would bring to the table and after I gave all my answers, they offered me the job on the spot. It was very quick and painless.

Interview Question – They were all easy or common sense.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation with Menards. You sign a contract that states anything and everything and there goes your life.

South Bend, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Menard in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call back within a month. Very simple interview, received job offer that same day. Started working the following week.

Interview Question – Nothing to difficult...why do you want to work in retail   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation

Interviewed at Menard

Interview Details – Very informal and just asked the basic questions...put a lot of pressure on myself to come up with questions to ask during the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing really came out of the blue at me.   Answer Question

Evansville, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Menard in January 2013.

Interview Details – The process was unprofessional redundant.

Interview Question – Basic internview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The General Manager was unwilling to adjust starting wage.

Elkhart, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Menard in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was offered an opportunity through my college, as a senior graduating Business student, to apply for a Manager Trainee position at Menards. It was the most unprofessional interview I've been through in quite awhile. I came dressed in a suit and tie, and she was dressed very sloppy. She should've dressed for the occasion, as well. Her job title was H.R. Coordinator! She was very dismissive and kept interrupting me. She said that if I couldn't pack up and relocate for the job after training, I simply wouldn't be a good fit for the job. Who can relocate on $11.00/hr?! I'll commute 30-45 minutes (if I have an opportunity to advance in management and increase my salary), but not relocate. I'm looking for an opportunity for corporate advancement. If this is the face of Menards H.R., who would ever want to work for them? They need to train their H.R. reps for proper interviewing. She barely gave me any eye contact, and she didn't even offer to shake my hand! Unbelievable! Don't waste your time. Menards is a joke.

Interview Question – How far are you willing to commute? Chicago? (I live in Michigan!)   Answer Question

Effingham, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Menard in July 2010.

Interview Details – very shabby. Aterwaiting on the GM who could not make it, the very young HR person conducted a very brief, scripted interview. She showed me the pay rate and scale for advancement. This was not impressive. She told me of the opportunities. The job was interesting the pay and time it would take to reach an acceptable level was not.

Interview Question – How do you handle difficult decisions?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – offered me 9.50 an hour, with the possibility to get a .50 cent increase annually. yeah right!

West Bend, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Menard in May 2009.

Interview Details – Went in with HR coordinator and presented myself and was hired

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for menards?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy questions, cant really give any advice. Either they like you or they dont

Interviews for Top Jobs at Menard

Worked for Menard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Menard Manager Trainee interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Menard employees and interview candidates.