Menards

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call back within 2 days. At the interview you fill out a sheet asking if you think its okay to take drugs. Then I had a one on one interview where I was asked my weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted to work at menards, what kind of experience have I had with volunteer work or small jobs like babysitting (because I have no prior experience). I then got a call back 2 days later to come in and fill in some paperwork for my drug test, took my drug test the next day and the day after that got a call setting up my orientation.

Interview Question – What is an experience where you felt really proud or accomplished with a job you did?   View Answer

Waterloo, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards.

Interview Details – Fill out application in the store, it only takes a couple minutes to do. You then turn it in to their human resource coordinator and i would assume they look over it. It only took a couple days before i got a call about an interview, the interview didn't take very long but when it is your first one you feel like it took forever. after the interview if you get the job they call you to set up your first day and on the first day you do all your training and paper work.

Interview Question – What things do you struggle with or what would affect you from doing your job the best you can   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – take what they are willing to give you

Ankeny, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in July 2011.

Interview Details – Went in to fill out app, was called a couple weeks later for an interview, met with my would-be manager instead of the HR only because that's how they did it for the front-end at that time. Had a drug test and started the next week.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question for me was only unexpected because of my age. They asked how many hours I wanted, and I hadn't thought about it because most jobs limit the hours for younger employees, but here you can work as often as you like.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for high schoolers, minimum wage with weekend pay incentive.

Marion, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Menards in April 2012.

Interview Details – Easy going interview, standard questions. Working in the there was pretty enjoyable if you had a good group to work with it. You will go home with "save big money at menards!!" in your head...

Interview Question – Asking what i knew about home improvment and how often Ive been in the Menards store (never before picking up application)   Answer Question

Blaine, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very kind manager. She had through answers to all of my questions. It was a very comfortable environment. Some basic interview questions but nothing challenging. I would recommend the company just based on the interview experience. Just make sure you are prepared. Obviously the more you are prepped, the easier the interview will seem. I only had to wait 3 days to hear back with an offer and I jubilantly accepted. The only downside is, I have an hour long drive to submit my drug test at a lab with terrible hours for the busy man to attend to in the middle of the week.

Interview Question – What separates you from other candidates interviewing for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Flat rate of minimum wage to start with an extra 2 something dollars for weekend hours (weekend incentive pay)

Lincoln, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in June 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting an application, my store location, a top-50 store Lincoln South took about 2 weeks to respond to my inquiry for employment. The first interview that you are called to is with the store unit's Human Resource Manager. This interview generally is to judge your competency and general appearance and how you react to the surroundings of the workplace. A tour and policy and procedure packet are completed at this time. When the next interview is called it is with the supervisor of whichever department HR feels you would work best in. If you have experience in a certain home development field, odds are that you will work in that department. The interview with the department manager is a very straightforward asking questions like strengths/weaknesses and inquires about your past employment and self accountability/responsibility. After this interview you will receive a call stating if you were hired or not and instructions on completing the urinalyses drug test. Menards is a drug-free company and EVERY store unit completes mandatory drug testing for all employees pre-employement.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wage and benefits are non-negotiable and pre-determined by the corporate office in regards to where your store unit is. Rural area stores get paid just slightly less than more urban ones.

Janesville, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Menards.

Interview Details – Very quick turn around time between application and interview.

Interview Question – Really none.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Hourly wage was much less than advertised.

Portage, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards.

Interview Details – Applied in person, paper application at store, was called a few days later to schedule and interview, 1 store manager interveiwed me and then one assitant did aswell, very laid back, jeans and a nice shirt works.

Interview Question – As usual, where do you see yourself in 3 years, questions like that, the do not hire seasonal they say.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much they pay you an extra two dollars an hour on the weekends which is nice.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Menards in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview I went to was an open interview and I landed the job on the spot. I showed determination by admitting I would skip my other job just so I could take the drug test, and he liked that.

Interview Question – How many years do you think you'll be with the company   View Answer

Maplewood, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Menards in February 2013.

Interview Details – They were so desperate for people, they will just ask what your schedule is like & whether or not you plan to stay long. That's all they care about. Because once they know you're available and are willing to pretty much live at menards, they don't care about anything else. My interview consisted of only those 2 questions.

Interview Question – What department do you want to work for? There is seriously too much to choose from.   Answer Question

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!