Menards

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Menards.

Filling out a paper app at the store and got a call back within 2 days for a face to face interview.
    Day after getting a call, I just went in causally to talk to the GM on duty and HR then we set up a face to face right then and there, 20-30 mins later I walk out with a job.

Interview Questions
    • none, very easy questions like if you saw some one stealing what would you do?   View Answer
    No, negotiation space.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards.

I applied online on a Friday and got a call to schedule an interview on that following Monday. I interviewed that Wednesday and got sent for a drug test. I got a call back that next Monday to schedule a day where I could start work. The interview went great and the two ladies that interviewed me were very nice and didn't make me feel intimidated. I only had the one interview.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

The position was posted online on craigslist with a brief description of required duties and expectations. It was listed with compensation 'to be discussed at time of interview'. I submitted my resume, as well as a cover letter detailing why I felt my slightly incongruent experience would still make me a good candidate for the position. I was called the next day, within 24 hours, requesting me to come in to the store and interview with the GM the following day. I have a BS in unrelated fields with no HR experience whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Relatively straight forward interview questions - what do you know about menards? What do you know about HR? How do you feel like your experience in unrelated fields could be an asset?   Answer Question

After what I felt to be a great interview, the GM stated that the highest possible he could pay for this position was $11/hr. Considering the position REQUIRED a BA/BS, as well as a work load typical of much higher paying positions, I declined. Multiple attempts at negotiation were declined, as the GM had no power to change this number whatsoever. He even said I'd been one of the top interviewees he's spoken to in 20+ years with the company and were I to accept the position there could be possibility for corporate promotion within the year, but at $11/hour for what they were requiring, I was borderline insulted. Seemed to be a wonderful, caring manager as well as a great company to work for, but I absolutely could not accept.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Menards in May 2014.

Sat down with the head of HR, only had one interview. The interview process was pretty laid back we went over my resume, he then asked me where i saw myself in 5 years where i obviously said with this company. he stepped out for about 5mins came back and asked when can you start?

Interview Questions
    • non really, apart from asking me if I was a Chicago Cubs or Sox fan.   Answer Question

MT Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeview, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeview, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Menards in March 2014.

The advertisement in the local paper and it said to apply in person. I showed up to apply for an HR position but it turns out it had already been filled the previous week. The GM recommended that I try the MT program instead. Two days later I was beginning orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Very informal questions. More conversation based. Talked about Netflix shows and sports.   Answer Question
    No negotiations possible.

Assistant General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards.

Promote from with in based off recommendation of GM

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected just have to know your Numbers. Everything else the GM is just trying to feel you out and see if you would be a good fit for team. Sometimes GM has no say so G.O. just tells them who to pick   Answer Question
    Menards doesn't negotiate unless you are a general Manager. Every other position is take it or leave it

Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Menards in August 2013.

Basic interview, long term goals, "why us?", strengths/ weaknesses

Interview Questions
    • Everything was very general. It seemed she was reading questions right off the sheet of paper.   Answer Question

Location.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in February 2013.

Before the interview you will fill out an application of sorts that also has a personality test. After finishing the paper work you will sit down one on one with a representative from the company. The interviewer was nice and personable, we talked about previous work experience and how it could help while working with Manards. The interviewer went over the job in detail and answered any questions I had about the position. Very low pressure interview that was extremely helpful in making a decision.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any particularly difficult questions. They ask you about your previous experiences and how it could apply to what you will be doing if you are hired.   Answer Question

Did not want to move as often as required

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Menards.

It was simple. The usual questions: "Describe a situation that..."

EARLY MORNING STOCKER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Grove, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Menards in November 2012.

I tried for a Management Trainee position first at another store. Called HR person back several times always busy, eventually told that they decided to go with another candidate. HR person was split between two stores I was told. At another nearby Menards an Assistant GM interviewed me for an Early Morning Stocker position. He emphasized that they hire from within. I saw the sign in the window. Called set up antalked with and interview with the Assistant GM.

Nonexistant.