Menards

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

The position was posted online on craigslist with a brief description of required duties and expectations. It was listed with compensation 'to be discussed at time of interview'. I submitted my resume, as well as a cover letter detailing why I felt my slightly incongruent experience would still make me a good candidate for the position. I was called the next day, within 24 hours, requesting me to come in to the store and interview with the GM the following day. I have a BS in unrelated fields with no HR experience whatsoever.

Interview Questions
  • Relatively straight forward interview questions - what do you know about menards? What do you know about HR? How do you feel like your experience in unrelated fields could be an asset?   Answer Question

After what I felt to be a great interview, the GM stated that the highest possible he could pay for this position was $11/hr. Considering the position REQUIRED a BA/BS, as well as a work load typical of much higher paying positions, I declined. Multiple attempts at negotiation were declined, as the GM had no power to change this number whatsoever. He even said I'd been one of the top interviewees he's spoken to in 20+ years with the company and were I to accept the position there could be possibility for corporate promotion within the year, but at $11/hour for what they were requiring, I was borderline insulted. Seemed to be a wonderful, caring manager as well as a great company to work for, but I absolutely could not accept.

Other Interview Reviews for Menards

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Menards.

Submit application that is reviewed with a GM or HR, reviewed by management staff, called in for interview at which point they either make the hiring decision on the spot or call back for a second interview. Starting usually within a week unless there is other information required.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pick any animal to discribe yourself, what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    Negotiation is not an option for this company everything is based on a set pay scale

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Menards in June 2010.

Was interviewed by the current HR Coordinator, Store Manager and Ast. Store Manager. They asked basic interview questions such as; tell me about yourself, what would you do in conflict situations with fellow employees and or customers.

Interview Questions

The pay was horrible. $11.00 an hour. Super long hours, working till 10 pm 2 nights a week.