Menards Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Menards in June 2013.

Was interviewed by two managers for my first and only interview. The two worked very well together and asked pretty basic interview questions. They went over codes of conduct, dress code, pay, how many hours I wished to work (part-time), and more. Nothing came up that wasn't expected.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was likely one that only these acting managers would ask, but they asked if I could be a fruit, what fruit would I be?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn Park, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call back within 2 days. At the interview you fill out a sheet asking if you think its okay to take drugs. Then I had a one on one interview where I was asked my weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted to work at menards, what kind of experience have I had with volunteer work or small jobs like babysitting (because I have no prior experience). I then got a call back 2 days later to come in and fill in some paperwork for my drug test, took my drug test the next day and the day after that got a call setting up my orientation.

Interview Questions
    • What is an experience where you felt really proud or accomplished with a job you did?   View Answer

Morning Stocker Menards Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards in June 2014.

I applied online with a general application. I received a phone call within four days for an interview. The interview was very general. They ask why you want the job, your prior work history, and any education you may have. It was a very relaxed interview. Two days later they offered me the job. Then another two days later I had to submit a drug screen. After three days I went to orientation and started work the very next day.

No negotiating.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in January 2010.

Company primarily focuses on their promote from within policy. This brings in some good talent from the stores but it also brings in many that should not be in their position. If a new hire from the outside is brought in to the corporate office for an interview beware. Many new hire candidates are only interviewed to gain knowledge of what competitors are doing.

HR is extremely slow at their jobs and many positions go unfilled after months of being empty. Others in the office are expected to fill in while they drag their feet.

Interview Questions
    • All interviewing is done from old out dated list of questions. No surprise or difficult questions here.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Company follows a strict pay scale. If you try to negotiate a higher pay rate they often withdraw the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waterloo, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards.

Fill out application in the store, it only takes a couple minutes to do. You then turn it in to their human resource coordinator and i would assume they look over it. It only took a couple days before i got a call about an interview, the interview didn't take very long but when it is your first one you feel like it took forever. after the interview if you get the job they call you to set up your first day and on the first day you do all your training and paper work.

Interview Questions
    • What things do you struggle with or what would affect you from doing your job the best you can   Answer Question
    take what they are willing to give you

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ankeny, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ankeny, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in July 2011.

Went in to fill out app, was called a couple weeks later for an interview, met with my would-be manager instead of the HR only because that's how they did it for the front-end at that time. Had a drug test and started the next week.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question for me was only unexpected because of my age. They asked how many hours I wanted, and I hadn't thought about it because most jobs limit the hours for younger employees, but here you can work as often as you like.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for high schoolers, minimum wage with weekend pay incentive.

Sales Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Appleton, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in June 2014.

I applied online and have the job after about a week. Starting today.

I received a call for an interview about 4-6 hours after applying online, and went in the next day. My interview took over an hour because me and the interviewee got along great. She said she would have to talk to her manager and call me in a few days.
    Two days later, I got a call asking me to come in the next day. So I went in, got offered a job, and went to take the pee test, and start work today. I thought it was very courteous to have me come into the store to offer me the job instead of just over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What can you see being the worst thing about working here?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Marion, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marion, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Menards in April 2012.

Easy going interview, standard questions. Working in the there was pretty enjoyable if you had a good group to work with it. You will go home with "save big money at menards!!" in your head...

Interview Questions
    • Asking what i knew about home improvment and how often Ive been in the Menards store (never before picking up application)   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards in June 2013.

After I was hired I was brought in for group training where we watched training videos. It was me and one guy who was applying for a position in the stock/lumber yard. The hiring staff and human resources people were professional, friendly and helpful. Remember to bring your SS card and ID that they will scan and also know when your hours are. When putting together scheduling, give them your specific hour windows and try to avoid saying "I'd rather not work ___, but if I absolutely have to, I will. They will schedule you for that day/ those hours.

MT Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards.

Applied for manager trainee program. Required by policy to follow up ASAP for position. Had a scheduled interview within 3 days. Interviewed w/ HR then second interview with store management.

Interview Questions
    • Very traditional interview questions. Questions pre-selected and put on a sheet. Past employment a big section for questions. Mainly asked guest service related questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!