Menards Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2014

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards.

I applied online on a Friday and got a call to schedule an interview on that following Monday. I interviewed that Wednesday and got sent for a drug test. I got a call back that next Monday to schedule a day where I could start work. The interview went great and the two ladies that interviewed me were very nice and didn't make me feel intimidated. I only had the one interview.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

The position was posted online on craigslist with a brief description of required duties and expectations. It was listed with compensation 'to be discussed at time of interview'. I submitted my resume, as well as a cover letter detailing why I felt my slightly incongruent experience would still make me a good candidate for the position. I was called the next day, within 24 hours, requesting me to come in to the store and interview with the GM the following day. I have a BS in unrelated fields with no HR experience whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Relatively straight forward interview questions - what do you know about menards? What do you know about HR? How do you feel like your experience in unrelated fields could be an asset?   Answer Question

After what I felt to be a great interview, the GM stated that the highest possible he could pay for this position was $11/hr. Considering the position REQUIRED a BA/BS, as well as a work load typical of much higher paying positions, I declined. Multiple attempts at negotiation were declined, as the GM had no power to change this number whatsoever. He even said I'd been one of the top interviewees he's spoken to in 20+ years with the company and were I to accept the position there could be possibility for corporate promotion within the year, but at $11/hour for what they were requiring, I was borderline insulted. Seemed to be a wonderful, caring manager as well as a great company to work for, but I absolutely could not accept.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Menards in October 2014.

very nice interview was told at the end that i was hired was given all info about the trainng and relocation that was needed hr lady was super nice and very friendly

not sure yet

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Menards in October 2014.

Interview was conversational in nature. General manager did the interview. Asked questions like what brought you to menards? Why do you want to leave the company you are with now? Do you have any questions or concerns? Very easy going approach. No silly questions were asked just common sense relevant questions

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions or concerns about working for Menards?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Hiring process was somewhat unorganized you almost needed to know someone to get a job that wasn't just the morning stocking crew. Plan to interview in the middle of the a busy store ... process is open so its a little unnerving to have associates eating lunch at the next table while you try to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • they make you take this test of random questions ... they say it does matter - it does - they wont hire you if you fail   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in De Pere, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in De Pere, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in September 2014.

Called after applying. Got called right away. Interview was very easy just answered questions about my application and resume. I was interviewed by the General Manager while an HR member was there.

Interview Questions
    • What kinds of problems did you have at work? Like I said everything was very easy.   View Answer
    Told me my pay, had to get a drug test, and provide resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Menards.

Fill out application in the store, it only takes a couple minutes to do. You then turn it in to their human resource coordinator and i would assume they look over it. It only took a couple days before i got a call about an interview, the interview didn't take very long but when it is your first one you feel like it took forever. after the interview if you get the job they call you to set up your first day and on the first day you do all your training and paper work.

Interview Questions
    • What things do you struggle with or what would affect you from doing your job the best you can   Answer Question
    take what they are willing to give you

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call back within 2 days. At the interview you fill out a sheet asking if you think its okay to take drugs. Then I had a one on one interview where I was asked my weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted to work at menards, what kind of experience have I had with volunteer work or small jobs like babysitting (because I have no prior experience). I then got a call back 2 days later to come in and fill in some paperwork for my drug test, took my drug test the next day and the day after that got a call setting up my orientation.

Interview Questions
    • What is an experience where you felt really proud or accomplished with a job you did?   View Answer

MT Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Menards.

Applied for manager trainee program. Required by policy to follow up ASAP for position. Had a scheduled interview within 3 days. Interviewed w/ HR then second interview with store management.

Interview Questions
    • Very traditional interview questions. Questions pre-selected and put on a sheet. Past employment a big section for questions. Mainly asked guest service related questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Print Advertising Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Menards.

I received a call for an interview the day after I had applied (you must submit your portfolio along with your application). The HR rep that I spoke with was incredibly personable and kind. We set up an interview for the next day, and they sent detailed instructions on the location of the interview and the individuals that I would be meeting with. When I arrived for my interview, everyone was quite friendly and established a relaxed interview environment. They had me fill out a short questionnaire on drugs and theft, and then I met with the department manager for the area I was applying along with the head HR representative. They asked me questions, alloted time for me to ask them questions, and then the department manager left while the HR representative went over the wage and benefits (which started out at $12 and hour). Although the interview process was mostly positive, I was dissatisfied with the length of time it took to get back to me. The HR rep told me that they would contact me in about a week to two at the latest, but they did not contact me until over a month after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what I thought of Menards' advertising.   View Answer