Menards

Average Difficulty
142 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brooklyn Park, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call back within 2 days. At the interview you fill out a sheet asking if you think its okay to take drugs. Then I had a one on one interview where I was asked my weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted to work at menards, what kind of experience have I had with volunteer work or small jobs like babysitting (because I have no prior experience). I then got a call back 2 days later to come in and fill in some paperwork for my drug test, took my drug test the next day and the day after that got a call setting up my orientation.

Interview Question – What is an experience where you felt really proud or accomplished with a job you did?   View Answer

Morning Stocker Menards Interview

Morning Stocker Menards
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online with a general application. I received a phone call within four days for an interview. The interview was very general. They ask why you want the job, your prior work history, and any education you may have. It was a very relaxed interview. Two days later they offered me the job. Then another two days later I had to submit a drug screen. After three days I went to orientation and started work the very next day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with Menards?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Buyer Interview

Buyer
Eau Claire, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in January 2010.

Interview Details – Company primarily focuses on their promote from within policy. This brings in some good talent from the stores but it also brings in many that should not be in their position. If a new hire from the outside is brought in to the corporate office for an interview beware. Many new hire candidates are only interviewed to gain knowledge of what competitors are doing.

HR is extremely slow at their jobs and many positions go unfilled after months of being empty. Others in the office are expected to fill in while they drag their feet.

Interview Question – All interviewing is done from old out dated list of questions. No surprise or difficult questions here.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Company follows a strict pay scale. If you try to negotiate a higher pay rate they often withdraw the offer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Waterloo, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards.

Interview Details – Fill out application in the store, it only takes a couple minutes to do. You then turn it in to their human resource coordinator and i would assume they look over it. It only took a couple days before i got a call about an interview, the interview didn't take very long but when it is your first one you feel like it took forever. after the interview if you get the job they call you to set up your first day and on the first day you do all your training and paper work.

Interview Question – What things do you struggle with or what would affect you from doing your job the best you can   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – take what they are willing to give you

Ankeny, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Menards in July 2011.

Interview Details – Went in to fill out app, was called a couple weeks later for an interview, met with my would-be manager instead of the HR only because that's how they did it for the front-end at that time. Had a drug test and started the next week.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question for me was only unexpected because of my age. They asked how many hours I wanted, and I hadn't thought about it because most jobs limit the hours for younger employees, but here you can work as often as you like.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for high schoolers, minimum wage with weekend pay incentive.

Sales Member Interview

Sales Member
Appleton, WI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and have the job after about a week. Starting today.

I received a call for an interview about 4-6 hours after applying online, and went in the next day. My interview took over an hour because me and the interviewee got along great. She said she would have to talk to her manager and call me in a few days.
Two days later, I got a call asking me to come in the next day. So I went in, got offered a job, and went to take the pee test, and start work today. I thought it was very courteous to have me come into the store to offer me the job instead of just over the phone.

Interview Question – What can you see being the worst thing about working here?   View Answer

Marion, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Menards in April 2012.

Interview Details – Easy going interview, standard questions. Working in the there was pretty enjoyable if you had a good group to work with it. You will go home with "save big money at menards!!" in your head...

Interview Question – Asking what i knew about home improvment and how often Ive been in the Menards store (never before picking up application)   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

Part Time Cashier
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Menards in June 2013.

Interview Details – After I was hired I was brought in for group training where we watched training videos. It was me and one guy who was applying for a position in the stock/lumber yard. The hiring staff and human resources people were professional, friendly and helpful. Remember to bring your SS card and ID that they will scan and also know when your hours are. When putting together scheduling, give them your specific hour windows and try to avoid saying "I'd rather not work ___, but if I absolutely have to, I will. They will schedule you for that day/ those hours.

Interview Question – What about working at Menard's interests you?   Answer Question

MT Interview

MT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Menards.

Interview Details – Applied for manager trainee program. Required by policy to follow up ASAP for position. Had a scheduled interview within 3 days. Interviewed w/ HR then second interview with store management.

Interview Question – Very traditional interview questions. Questions pre-selected and put on a sheet. Past employment a big section for questions. Mainly asked guest service related questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Evansville, IN

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Menards in February 2012.

Interview Details – quick 10 min interview to ensure you can tie your shoes. followed by an off site drug screen and a quick tour of the store and break room. nothing to difficult about the interview process, esp if you are referred by an internal employee.

Interview Question – not a tough interview at all. although the HR guy I interviewed with relocated so the process could be different. but they hold hiring fairs frequently so not a lot of quality candidates come from those.   Answer Question

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!